You Decided: Top 10 Horror Movie Remakes

We have a ton of top horror movies lists & compilations and I know that you all enjoy reading them because of how popular they are. People love to agree with the lists, disagree with them and openly debate them on site and on our facebook page and frankly I love it. Whenever we do a top list I expect nothing less than for the community to discuss it. This go around we have another Top 10 List which I am calling ‘You Decided’. Moving forward we are going to be doing alot more editorials featuring the viewpoints of you the community and these are the best horror film top 10’s because they are not based on the views of one well versed horror fantatic but off of the thousands of horror fans who rate horror films on our site.

About a week and a half ago I asked you all to rate the horror remakes you have seen. This was not a matter of voting films up or down it was a cut dry rank every remake you have seen out of 10. The end result is this list which is the Top 10 Horror Movie Remakes based entirely off the votes of you the fans. Frankly I completely agree with the list  but how can I argue considering 24,252 people have voted so far. Agree with this list, disagree with it you can’t argue with the fans!

#10) The Ring: Directed by the incredibly talend Gore Verbinski and starring Naomi Watts and Martin Henderson. The film made over $240million and is one of the highest grossing remakes of all time. The Ring lands at #10 on the list of Top Horror Remakes! The ring is an incredibly creepy film about a videotape that leads to a phone call and ends with the death of the recipient of the call. A truly creepy affair and well deserving of landing in the Top 10.

You Decided: Top 10 Horror Movie Remakes

#9) The Last House on the Left (2009): Much like the original this remake is as brutal as it comes. When a film gets an R rating due to ‘sadistic and brutal violence including rape’ you know its not going to be an easy ride. This remake of Wes Cravens horror classic is as brutal as the original and what draws you in and makes you wade through the incredible brutal violence is for the revenge you know is coming on the perpetrators. This film was incredibly brutal and in the same token rewarding as the assailants go from terrifying villains to terrified victims. For me the standout performance was Martha MacIsaac who is best known for her work in Superbad and proved she is an incredibly talented actress with alot of potential.

You Decided: Top 10 Horror Movie Remakes

#8) The Blob: Landing at #8 is The Blob a remake of the 1958 horror-scifi film about a government germ warfare project which goes horribly wrong and ends up consuming all things in its path. A group of teenagers go head to head with this menacing mindless blob. I have always had a warm spot for scifi-horror and this one is one of my all time favourites. I have never seen the original 1958 film but will mark it on my bucket list as something to make happen.

You Decided: Top 10 Horror Movie Remakes

#7) Let Me In: Matt Reeves is best known for directing Cloverfield but with Let Me in he wanted to really show he is more than a one trick pony and could stand on his own. With Cloverfield JJ Abrams got most of the hype and credit but with Let Me In Matt Reeves proved he is a serious up and coming talent. A remake of the Swedish vampire film Let The Right One In it tells the story of teen-love with a very dark vampiric angle. This remake is true to the orginal while introducing many new elements making it a very deserving film to be on any Top Horror Remakes List.

You Decided: Top 10 Horror Movie Remakes

#6) Bram Stokers Dracula: Francis Ford Coppola’s Dracula which was released in 1992 to this day is still one of my favourite horror films of all time. It starred Gary Oldman, Anthony Hopkins the drop dead gorgeous Winona Ryder and the often wooden but still talented Keanu Reeves. Easily one of the best modern telling of the Dracula story Bram Stokers Dracula is a must see for any and all fans of vampire tales. Assuming anyone hasn’t seen this piece of cinemantic masterpiece.

You Decided: Top 10 Horror Movie Remakes

Pages:    Continue Reading »

1. The Creature May 30, 2011 at 12:49 am

Nice! HM made a great list!!

2. Stagefryte1976 May 30, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Great list, but The Hills Have Eyes blew in my opinion. The Ring is 1000 times better than that piece of junk.

3. BVB_kamii_ETF May 30, 2011 at 9:41 pm

wow. i havent seen any of the originals or the remakes.

4. Tylogan May 31, 2011 at 1:41 am

I know everyone and their moms hated ‘em but I happen to have loved the remakes to Friday the 13th and Halloween. And I think the remake to Texas Chainsaw Massacre should have been #3!!! But I know everyone will disagree

5. LiordAbortion May 31, 2011 at 6:35 am

In response to stagefryte The Ring is not nearly as superior a film to Ringu as the remake of The Hills Have Eyes is to its predecessor.  The Ring is a decent film but it doesn’t offer anything new.  The Hills remake on the other hand by far surpasses what Wes was able to do at the time and Aja made it his own with staying true to the original.  Both are great films but as far as a remake goes Hills is the better remake.  Also i think Texas Chainsaw Massacre should have most definitely been included.

• Derke June 8, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Although I thought The Ring as a whole was superior to Ringu, it’s ending is an absolute copout, going for thrills at the expense of sense.  Ringu’s warped grandpa-murdering finale is the shit.

6. HotFleshyInsides June 1, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Dracula?… I’m sorry but that movie was a mess of miscast, starting with Keanu Reeves surfer boy British accent. It was an embarrassment. I cringed every time he opened his mouth. He wasn’t the only one forcing a bad accent either. That can take the best movie and completely destroy it., and it did.

Giving anyone credit for ‘Let Me In’, other than the original director of ‘Let The Right One In’ is criminal. It just showed how fucken shallow American audiences are not being able to read FN subtitles… he copied the original to the bone and adding NOTHING of relevance to the remake… pathetic.

• Rockloverboy June 6, 2011 at 5:15 am

WTF is wrong with u ? gary oldman’s acting in that movie is better then any other dracula ever, that includes bela lugosi…

7. Tamimhoqjafri June 8, 2011 at 9:45 am

it very much excited &dangerous  i never seen my life

8. Mike June 8, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I agree with the Fly and The Thing being great remakes.

I don’t thing Dawn or Let Me In should have been made.

• Derke June 8, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I though Dawn was good, but used the title only so that they wouldn’t face a potential lawsuit for having zombies and a mall in the same film – it’s hardly a remake. Let Me In was just unnecessary, even though I liked the 3 or 4 changes it made to the Swedish version. If the director had based his movie on the excellent book instead of doing an almost shot-for-shot remake, it could have been a MUCH different movie. The pedophile zombie in the novel is freaky as hell.

9. satan June 8, 2011 at 8:49 pm

The wickyman

10. piranha June 17, 2011 at 4:30 am

piranha 3d should’ve been on here

11. Ejpunk94 June 19, 2011 at 7:40 pm

yeah wheres the texas chainsaw massacre remake? and i know not many people would agree with me but i think rob zombies halloween remake should be on there

12. Ejpunk94 June 19, 2011 at 7:40 pm

13. Creeped Out June 28, 2011 at 9:08 am

That picture of Samara from The Ring gives me the creeps so badly like not much else does. I came to this site for something else, and when I saw her face at the top of the page, I got this sinking feeling inside. Ugh! So creepy!

14. Bill Graper June 29, 2011 at 5:54 am

My favorite movie is missing!!! How about “The Uninvited”?  It was a remake of “A Tale Of Two Sisters.”  It was more of a suspense thriller, but I still consider it in the horror genre.

15. Steve D June 29, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Not only do I think Zombie’s Halloween remake is the best horror remake ever, it’s probably in the top 5 remakes, period.

16. Hohusa July 1, 2011 at 3:55 am

Anyone seem Event Horizon, I thought that was scary movie.

17. Hohusa July 1, 2011 at 3:55 am

Anyone seem Event Horizon, I thought that was scary movie.

18. Cavdog July 7, 2011 at 10:05 am

Rob Zombies Halloween was crap. His script was mired in the same trailer trash redneck mould that has permeated every other film he has made. An audience should be able to like at least one character, not be repulsed by everyone on screen. Besides the fact that humanising MMeyers destroys the menacing mystique of his character to start with. he is the embodiment of evil, not a screwed up homeless guy who couldnt handle his rough childhood.
        And was anyone else annoyed at the casting of Danielle Harris when the character she played in 4 and 5 was killed off at the start of Curse of MMeyers. I know she’s playing a different role but really, show some respect to other film makers. Rob Zombies Hallowee is only outshamed by the 2010 remake of Nightmare that shows how Hollywood really hates our favourite genre.

19. THRASHER July 10, 2011 at 3:39 am

I was at a friend’s party a few weeks ago and the fly remake was on tv, but sadly I only saw half of it because of some important issues to deal with in the bedroom

20. Art Maya August 4, 2012 at 2:23 pm