You Decided: Top 10 Horror Movie Remakes

TheM 23 Comments

#5) The Hills Have Eyes (2006): The tag line of this remake says it all ‘The lucky ones die first’. This brutal retelling of Wes Cravens classic horror tale is directed by Alexandre Aja who directed Haute Tension ( High Tension ). I absolutely loved this film for its great story telling, brutality and polished characters. The film draws you in, rips out your throat and then sets your brain on fire. It contains all the elements that make a remake great and in this case I am going to commit sacriledge and say this remake is better than the original which has never been a favourite film of mine.

You Decided: Top 10 Horror Movie Remakes

#4) Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978: Directed by Philip Kaufman and starring Donald Sutherland this remake of the classic scifi-hororr tale is set in San Francisco as a group of people discover the human race is being replaced one by one, with clones devoid of emotion. The concept has been remade many times under many names, including the not so hot Nicole Kidman, Daniel Craig feature film The Invasion. This is one of those scifi films that holds up to the tests of time and to this day is still a great film that fans young and old can appreciate. Easily one of the 5 must see Sci-fi horror films of all time.

You Decided: Top 10 Horror Movie Remakes

#3) The Fly (1986): I saw this film when I was quite young and it still to this day leaves its mark on me. Although I have seen much more disgusting and disturbing films since The Fly, the concept of a scientist accidentally turning himself into a human fly and watching that transformation will remain with me forever. Starring Jeff Goldblum in one of his best performances it is another sci-fi horror film that everyone should have in their collection and a very deserving film to be on this list of top horror remakes.

You Decided: Top 10 Horror Movie Remakes

#2) Dawn of the Dead (2004) : George Romero is an icon and anyone who disrespects him will face the wrath of countless fans including this one. Zach Snyder’s remake of his classic 1978 zombie film of the same name is one of my all time favourite remakes because of how it was executed. Zach took the elements of the original and added his own ‘sauce’ into the mix ( wow that sounds bad ) making a truly terrifying retelling of one of the greatest zombie films of all times. Rarely do I love a remake so much. I have seen the original Romero film at least 30 times and Zach Snyder’s remake almost as many. This is a must see for horror fans and a film that I really hope Snyder revisits for a sequel.

You Decided: Top 10 Horror Movie Remakes

#1)  The Thing (1982). I have said it many times but I actually never saw this film until about 10 years ago when my very good friend Rene who at one time wrote for this site under the nickname MacReady insisted I see it. This film which stars Kurt Russell is about a science station that comes under assault by ‘a thing’ from space. The film is stark, violent and gruesome and features some of the best visual effects of its time that hold up to even modern standards. I can not think of a film more deserving to be voted the #1 Horror remake of all time. You all clearly have very good taste as  I also consider The Thing the greatest sci-fi horror film of all time.

You Decided: Top 10 Horror Movie Remakes

So there you have it the Top 10 Horror Movie Remakes of all time based off the votes of you the readers. Leave some comments and of course feel free to go rate your favourite horror movies. It is incredibly easy and fast to vote using your site account, Facebook or Twitter login and by voting you help us compile the You Decided Top Horror Films list and also enables us to give you great reccomendations for other films you should check out.

Pages: « Previous Page

Sexiest Horror Movie Victims 30 Worst Horror Films Of All Time Best & Worst Horror Movies of 2012

1. The Creature May 30, 2011 at 12:49 am

Nice! HM made a great list!!

2. Stagefryte1976 May 30, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Great list, but The Hills Have Eyes blew in my opinion. The Ring is 1000 times better than that piece of junk.

3. BVB_kamii_ETF May 30, 2011 at 9:41 pm

wow. i havent seen any of the originals or the remakes.

4. Tylogan May 31, 2011 at 1:41 am

I know everyone and their moms hated ‘em but I happen to have loved the remakes to Friday the 13th and Halloween. And I think the remake to Texas Chainsaw Massacre should have been #3!!! But I know everyone will disagree

5. LiordAbortion May 31, 2011 at 6:35 am

In response to stagefryte The Ring is not nearly as superior a film to Ringu as the remake of The Hills Have Eyes is to its predecessor.  The Ring is a decent film but it doesn’t offer anything new.  The Hills remake on the other hand by far surpasses what Wes was able to do at the time and Aja made it his own with staying true to the original.  Both are great films but as far as a remake goes Hills is the better remake.  Also i think Texas Chainsaw Massacre should have most definitely been included.

• Derke June 8, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Although I thought The Ring as a whole was superior to Ringu, it’s ending is an absolute copout, going for thrills at the expense of sense.  Ringu’s warped grandpa-murdering finale is the shit.

6. HotFleshyInsides June 1, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Dracula?… I’m sorry but that movie was a mess of miscast, starting with Keanu Reeves surfer boy British accent. It was an embarrassment. I cringed every time he opened his mouth. He wasn’t the only one forcing a bad accent either. That can take the best movie and completely destroy it., and it did.

Giving anyone credit for ‘Let Me In’, other than the original director of ‘Let The Right One In’ is criminal. It just showed how fucken shallow American audiences are not being able to read FN subtitles… he copied the original to the bone and adding NOTHING of relevance to the remake… pathetic.

• Rockloverboy June 6, 2011 at 5:15 am

WTF is wrong with u ? gary oldman’s acting in that movie is better then any other dracula ever, that includes bela lugosi…

7. Tamimhoqjafri June 8, 2011 at 9:45 am

it very much excited &dangerous  i never seen my life

8. Mike June 8, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I agree with the Fly and The Thing being great remakes.

I don’t thing Dawn or Let Me In should have been made.

• Derke June 8, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I though Dawn was good, but used the title only so that they wouldn’t face a potential lawsuit for having zombies and a mall in the same film – it’s hardly a remake. Let Me In was just unnecessary, even though I liked the 3 or 4 changes it made to the Swedish version. If the director had based his movie on the excellent book instead of doing an almost shot-for-shot remake, it could have been a MUCH different movie. The pedophile zombie in the novel is freaky as hell.

9. satan June 8, 2011 at 8:49 pm

The wickyman

10. piranha June 17, 2011 at 4:30 am

piranha 3d should’ve been on here

11. Ejpunk94 June 19, 2011 at 7:40 pm

yeah wheres the texas chainsaw massacre remake? and i know not many people would agree with me but i think rob zombies halloween remake should be on there

12. Ejpunk94 June 19, 2011 at 7:40 pm

13. Creeped Out June 28, 2011 at 9:08 am

That picture of Samara from The Ring gives me the creeps so badly like not much else does. I came to this site for something else, and when I saw her face at the top of the page, I got this sinking feeling inside. Ugh! So creepy!

14. Bill Graper June 29, 2011 at 5:54 am

My favorite movie is missing!!! How about “The Uninvited”?  It was a remake of “A Tale Of Two Sisters.”  It was more of a suspense thriller, but I still consider it in the horror genre.

15. Steve D June 29, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Not only do I think Zombie’s Halloween remake is the best horror remake ever, it’s probably in the top 5 remakes, period.

16. Hohusa July 1, 2011 at 3:55 am

Anyone seem Event Horizon, I thought that was scary movie.

17. Hohusa July 1, 2011 at 3:55 am

Anyone seem Event Horizon, I thought that was scary movie.

18. Cavdog July 7, 2011 at 10:05 am

Rob Zombies Halloween was crap. His script was mired in the same trailer trash redneck mould that has permeated every other film he has made. An audience should be able to like at least one character, not be repulsed by everyone on screen. Besides the fact that humanising MMeyers destroys the menacing mystique of his character to start with. he is the embodiment of evil, not a screwed up homeless guy who couldnt handle his rough childhood.
        And was anyone else annoyed at the casting of Danielle Harris when the character she played in 4 and 5 was killed off at the start of Curse of MMeyers. I know she’s playing a different role but really, show some respect to other film makers. Rob Zombies Hallowee is only outshamed by the 2010 remake of Nightmare that shows how Hollywood really hates our favourite genre.

19. THRASHER July 10, 2011 at 3:39 am

I was at a friend’s party a few weeks ago and the fly remake was on tv, but sadly I only saw half of it because of some important issues to deal with in the bedroom

20. Art Maya August 4, 2012 at 2:23 pm