Best Horror Movies of 2011 So Far

TheM 31 Comments

Best Horror Movies of 2011 So Far2011 is not even over and there is a boat load of really great horror movies still coming but so far 2011 has been a great year for me and my personal horror experience. Just this week alone I have watched two horror movies that have completely blown my minds and reassured me that the horror genre is not all about remakes and reboots and that in the deepest bowls of the Hollywood machine there are still some creative people making movies that diehard horror fans who want more than just horror diluted down to the most common box office denominator can enjoy.

So with that said I wanted to do a Best Horror Films of 2011 so far with full intentions of updating with a new list in the future. There are still a lot of small horror films I have not seen that I really want to so do not be surprised if I revisit this topic in a month or two with a more complete list.

So in no specific order and with no attention for pleasing a studio or for that matter anyone here are what I consider to be the best horror movies of 2011 so far that I have seen. I feel passionately that every film on this list will please horror fans especially those who want a little bit more from the genre.

Best Horror Movies of 2011 So Far
Attack The Block: Watched this one just last night and I can sum it up as Critters meets Monster Squad. Not laugh out loud funny but definitely has plenty of dry wit and humor it tells the story of a young group of thugs who while in the process of terrorizing their UK block where they live end up having to save the world. Attack the Block takes alien invasion to a level its never been to with an outstanding cast of young unknowns backed up by one of my genre favourite Nick Frost from Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead. If you like monster movies you will be hard pressed to not love Attack the Block which is currently in limited release right now.

Stakeland: Stakeland which I just reviewed and watched making this a great week for my horror movie experiences is The Walking Dead of vampire movies. Stakeland is complex, violent and thought provoking with interesting and powerful characters, fantastic practical effects and a script that begs for the movie to never end. Stakeland is basically I am Legend telling the story of a world fallen under the heel of vampires but Stakeland doesn’t rely on horrible CGI and is good in every way that I am Legend is bad.

Best Horror Movies of 2011 So Far

Insidious: James Wan’s Insidious is a throw back to classic ghost stories. It is a relatively unique concept about a boy who slips into a coma and his parents learn to cope with it and in doing so discover something much darker and eviler about his slumber. Its creepy, it’s dark and it’s a fun ghost story that supernatural film fans can love. Easily the best ghost story movie I have seen in a few years.

Best Horror Movies of 2011 So Far

Pages:    Continue Reading »

Best & Worst Horror Movies of 2012 Gallery: Best Walking Dead Zombie Kills! 30 Worst Horror Films Of All Time

1. Lunatik1739 August 18, 2011 at 4:57 am

I saw “Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark” as a special preview screening at the fabulous Montreal Fantasia Festival, and it’s not what the trailer hypes it up to be. Not very scary at all; if you wanna be scared, as you already know, watch “Insidious.”

• Amar Modi September 23, 2011 at 10:49 am

in fact.
          Insidious is really scary.

2. Lunatik1739 August 18, 2011 at 4:57 am

3. Googopqp August 18, 2011 at 6:53 am

I saw the Devil is amazing!

4. JT August 18, 2011 at 2:07 pm

From this list I’ve only seen ‘Scream 4′ & ‘Insidious’. I found the newest Scream to be just so-so while ‘Insidious’ was even less than that. Still, I’ve heard good things about ‘Attack The Block’ & ‘I Saw The Devil’ and will be viewing them as soon as the DVDs are released.

Is ‘Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes’ really horror? I didn’t think it was.

My favourite horror (comedy) film so far this year is probably ‘Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil’, however it is one of those movies where the trailer shows WAAAAY too much. I suggest ignoring the trailer and reading a short plot synopsis instead.

5. Cash Wampum August 19, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Insidious struck a great punch for me.  It had elements borrowed from House (with William Katt), Poltergeist and The Changeling.  Each of those are superior movies but Insidious was craftily made.  Camera work was good.  String score was creepy.  A very well done flick.  The finale was a bit silly but it doesn’t destroy a well done ghost story.

Scream 4 was a let down for me.  I didn’t like how it poked fun at itself relentlessly.  I realize that was the point but it failed to entertain me.  The original Scream was a fantastic story and made really for horror fans.  Since horror fans WERE the cast.  Scream 4 was really just a crude reminder of how BAD the horror genre is being treated these days.  I didn’t get it at all.

Carpenter’s The Ward was fun to watch.  Too many cheap shocks for my liking but I think it was a good job for a project that really just landed into his lap.  It didn’t have his passion or his score but it was still a fun movie.

I have yet to see I Saw the Devil but its certainly in my queue of “have to watch” titles.  As well as Stakeland

6. Sam August 19, 2011 at 9:09 pm

A very lean year so far.  I liked both the Mother’s Day and Fright Night remakes (sue me), but I only liked Scream 4 for about 10 minutes (the killer reveal and the first of the film’s two endings, before it becomes desperately shitty) and the hyped likes of Stake Land, Troll Hunter and Red State have proved underwhelming.

The best film I’ve seen this year I wouldn’t quite call horror, but Testsuya Nakashima’s ‘Confessions’ definitely has horror elements.  Frankly I’m still waiting for a pure horror film from 2011’s crop that will slap me in the face and make me say WOW.

7. Chris August 20, 2011 at 12:09 am

James Wan did Insidious, not Bousman.

• HorrorMovies August 20, 2011 at 2:20 am

oil… you are completely right Chris. My brain was in the wrong place.

8. John M. Cozzoli September 17, 2011 at 6:23 am

Attack the Block piques my interest. I like the premise. I’ve been wanting to see Stakeland, and you’ve sold me on doing it sooner than later. Thanks.

9. Thomas Silver September 18, 2011 at 12:16 am

I am not sure that I Saw The Devil really counts as an actual horror film. Yes, it’s gruesome, and yes it’s extremely violent (to the point it was almost banned in it’s home country of South Korea), but I agree that it’s a must see film – of course the biggest warning to be made about this film is that it’s not for the squeamish..

10. jj September 19, 2011 at 3:27 pm

VERY GOOD LIST!!
        I can only disagree on Scream 4 but hey, maybe it’s just me…

i could add The Troll Hunter, Kidnapped and Julia’s Eyes

Anyway… Bravo!!!

11. Fdjf September 22, 2011 at 2:04 am

i found dont be scared of the dark creepy

12. Anonymous October 3, 2011 at 2:23 pm

hey i got ur link from i saw devil fan page
        gr8 list man keep it up

13. GiMan October 9, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I Saw The Devil is my favorite.

14. Awais Aslam October 15, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I saw Wrong Turn The bestest Hororr movie of my life..

15. Random Geeza October 20, 2011 at 7:41 am

Seen them all and the best out of the bunch was Attack the Block… Pure genius and very simple in it’s execution. A real gem for 2011. Stakeland comes in as second. Scream 4, third. Enjoyed the first two acts of Insidius but then it just got silly, it goes in at number four. I Saw The Devil, is at number five with Rise of not even making my list.

16. Annoyed October 22, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I’m sorry to say this, but if you are writing articles for a large online website, you need to really fix your run-on sentences, improper apostrophe usage and dozens of other grammatical errors… Does horror-movies.ca not have an editor/proofreader? The quality of this writing is incredibly subpar.

• Anonymous October 22, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Hey Annoyed this is a fan site. So unlike the guys who get paid we do the best we can with what we got. You either can respect the effort or not.

17. Steven October 23, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Is it because of a thin horror movie crop that Insidious made this movie list?  I really did not like that film.  Bile comes up and fills my mouth with the thought of it.  Its odd though I have seen a few sites mention it as good.  Maybe I just don’t get it.

Steven

18. Nanaadjoa88 November 8, 2011 at 9:56 am

insidious is grt really really creepy

19. Enjay November 8, 2011 at 11:12 pm

I dont get all the hype about Insidious either to be honest, I would recommend Wrong Turn 4- The acting was pretty poor (pretty much that case with all horror movies) but it makes up for that with the gruesomeness of it all :)

20. cigaretteaddict November 14, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I really liked Insidious, it’s a refreshing concept, after-thoughts of the same thing happening to you invites paranoia as well. This movie would really appeal to people who are afraid of the dark and those who are scared of mannequins. The old music in the film was creepy too, haha! The only thing I didn’t like about it is how the demon looks like—not scary at all. I agree with those who said that I Saw the Devil is not really a horror movie, it falls more under the gore genre. It’s definitely worth watching though for the heart crushing story line and the sweet taste of revenge that one would hope to see. Cool list, thanks!

21. Anonymous November 19, 2011 at 9:55 pm

2011 hasn’t been that great a year really. I saw the devil is one I’m gathering the balls to watch. Going to watch Old Boy first to give me a feel for Asian cinema. I’ve lost a lot of faith in american horror. Looking forward to Little Deaths.

22. anton bulls November 30, 2011 at 1:33 am

lol attack the block is a non-sense movie! And it’s not a horror movie…don’t you dare to watch it!

23. Kathleen Dempsey December 11, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Rise of Planet of The Apes is NOT a horror movie.

24. Rafael Flourkas December 16, 2011 at 4:24 pm

loved insidious it scared the shit out of me! watch 11.11.11 too

25. B. Shivakiran December 19, 2011 at 9:49 am

ya true attack the blocks is not a horror movies its a movie made by a kid …..yes its like that a kind of a kiddish movie which is howcome listed in horror????????

26. B. Shivakiran December 19, 2011 at 9:50 am

hello  every one i have seen insidious too but rather i request any one of you to suggest some better scary movies …or the best of your exp

27. Eric Bryner January 7, 2012 at 7:26 am

What the heck is the ape movie in the list? It’s not even a horror movie. LMFAO!
        Who the heck think PG-13 horror is good? You got to have something wrong with you if you get scared watching PG-13 horror or is a kid writing this list. All PG-13 is no scare at all for anyone above 13 or even under. Must be girls afraid of the dark to think they are scary.

28. Ferar E Mon March 6, 2012 at 5:13 am

I saw it……more dan 10 times….already It took placi in my ph as a fav muveeee…….IN A DARK ROOM…….alone……….U MUST WATCH D FLIM………..simpley awsm…….try 5.1 home theater for better effffffffect ;)