Army of Darkness Sequel Tied to Evil Dead Remake

Herner Klenthur 11 Comments Movie Page: Army of Darkness 2

Army of Darkness Sequel Tied to Evil Dead RemakeEarlier in the month we told you that Sam Raimi and his brother are working on a sequel to Army of Darkness and now it seems that has been shaken up quite a bit with news from Wondercon.

Fede Alvarez the director of the Evil Dead remake told audiences at Wondercon ( with Bruce Campbell present and on the Panel ) that his upcoming sequel to Evil Dead which he is writing now will be intertwined into Sam Raimi’s upcoming Evil Dead movie.

It would seem based off his statements that Sam Raimi’s upcoming Evil Dead movie will be a sequel to the 1981 film and quite shockingly not only will it bring Bruce Campbell back but it will be a cross over film and draw in the characters from the remake that Fede Alvarez has developed under Sam Raimi’s direction.

Frankly I am boggled by this concept and as much as I am a fan of what I have seen for the remake I think this is a complete waste. KEEP the characters separate! Mixing them together for a ‘big grand finally’ is ridiculous and confusing. How do you explain two Ashes? A space time continuum angle? Seriously come on!

I want to see Army of Darkness 2 or yes.. a remake of Army of Darkness I can tolerate but I want to see it done with a big budget, lots of camp and Lord of the Rings style battle sequences as ASH takes on the Army of the Dead.

Frankly I think the best potential for a new Evil Dead with Bruce Campbell is to base it after Army of Darkness and the alternate ending where Bruce Campbell wakes up in the future. Bruce is the right age to play the role and it would be something unique instead of rehashing the past.

What are your thoughts of the two movies crossing over and the characters intertwining? More details can be found at Collider who were at the panel

20 Best Horror Films of 2011 Best & Worst Horror Movies of 2012 Gallery: Best Walking Dead Zombie Kills!

1. JKThink March 31, 2013 at 4:46 pm

I agree with you completely – keep them separate- The Evil Dead trilogy moved into the realm of comedy horror – and if the mix the two then one of them will have to compromise their style – serious gory – or gory comedic – i love both – but as separate films.
        I too would love to see an updated Army Of Darkness – with epic battles against the Deadites- I’d see that for sure.
        I love the idea of Ash (Bruce) returning too, older, (bit wider) but still funny and finding himself in more trouble.
        Groovy.

2. deadite March 31, 2013 at 6:48 pm

there is no Ash in the new one so your argument is invalid

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur March 31, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Good point! I keep thinking of the female lead as ‘Ash’

3. Eddie Jenkins (@jumpingtheshark) March 31, 2013 at 7:48 pm

I saw the new film in Fairfax, Va. (11 miles outside DC) this week. It doesn’t disappoint at all. There are lots of nods to the original films and a dash of camp. Not nearly as much comedy as the originals, but the film is in fact good. I could definitely see how the film could intertwine with the Army of Darkness sequel. Just reserve your opinion until you have seen the film.

4. Steve March 31, 2013 at 7:49 pm

I honestly dont think that would be such a horrible idea I mean the whole franchise is pretty weird and has a bunch of twists in it as it is why not keep things mixed up a bit?

5. phil dargan March 31, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Leave. Them separate

6. deadmetal March 31, 2013 at 8:45 pm

they know what they are doing and i suspect some major awesome sauce will be rained upon us. HAIL TO THE KING BABY.

7. ghost1 April 1, 2013 at 10:32 am

What future did Ash wake up in army of darkness? could that future be the same as the remake! i can see Ash living in an apocalyptic city as an old hermit where a group of kids have heard stories of an old man who knows how to stop the evil dead, if only he knew someone who could read the book of the dead. i think the new and the old could come together nicley

8. monk420 April 1, 2013 at 2:52 pm

i agree….. base it off the original with alt ending. please dont ruin it.

9. Manny April 14, 2013 at 4:46 am

mix that shit. and remember shop smart shop s-mart

10. Sam Montanez April 14, 2013 at 2:06 pm

I for one havent seen the new Evil Dead. But im digging all these ideas about intertwining everything in the end.. Who knows it may be well worth it, maybe Raimi and Alvarez have something up both there sleeves for everyone who is a big fan of the trilogy.. Also in another opinion, would be also probably quite nice to them all done independently from one another.. I guess time will tell on what the ultimate decision is..