Evil Dead Sinks at the Box Office

Herner Klenthur 14 Comments

Evil Dead it would seem has no legs as it drops from the #1 spot after not even one week at the top. I saw Evil Dead as most of our writers did and although it’s not the Evil Dead I remember I have to admit that it is a fantastic horror movie and easily one of the best I have seen in quite a few years.

Although it contained the key elements of the original 1981 Evil Dead it did not deserve to have the name and in my view would have been better done as ‘Evil Dead4′ then calling it a true remake. Evil Dead dropped to #5 falling behind the new GI Joe Retaliation movie that just goes to show there is no accounting for taste.

Now before anyone gets to worked up about Evil Dead slipping from the number one spot lets not overlook the huge success that the film has been. The movie which was made on a budget of $17million with Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi producing has brought in $52million at the box office so far according to RENTRAK and that my friends makes it a big hit!

Our readers have been quite vocal on what they thought of the film. Joe Parks writes;

As an “old school ” horror fan having seen the original well before there were any sequels, I gladly state that I loved the remake. It is its own movie while remaining true to the original. Its well done in all aspects. And it may be the goriest movie I’ve ever seen in the theater. If I have, I can’t think what it was. And I was lucky enough to see Hooper’s Texas Chainsaw 2 unrated in the theater!

Em writes;

It was ok. They did stay true to some of the old classic parts, but twisting it to their own. However, they didn’t incorporate the best scenes from the original. I was waiting for a “jack of diamonds, jack of clubs, queen of spades, raaaaaahhhhh” however, I thought the movie was good until the end. It upset me.

Caja88 writes;

I thought the Evil Dead remake was an amazing construct from the original. However after chewing the fat with my 11 year old daughter and 12 year old son, we agreed that the heart of the original was superior. I guess were just sentimental like that. a very entertaining movie though and were looking forward to the sequel And Army of Darkness hopefully starring Mr. Campbell.

Tonia writes;

I agree that it should have been labelled Evil Dead 4, I went in thinking it was a total remake, so I was highly picky, being a huge fan and all. At one point I felt like walking out to be honest, alot of changes, the ending was the best part in my opinion, if they had to have it like the ending it would have been much better I think, I just love gore…what can I say.

It was an attempt that perhaps should have not happened or maybe should have been worked on a little more, who knows. Everybody has their own opinion, I was highly disappointed after my high anticipation of it, didn’t know till last night that Sam and Bruce were involved with this movie, wow….

What did you think of the Evil Dead Remake? Sound off in the comments below.

Evil Dead Sinks at the Box Office

Best & Worst Horror Movies of 2012 Most Disturbing Horror Movies 30 Worst Horror Films Of All Time

1. Jonathan Gourd April 14, 2013 at 11:54 pm

they’re*

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur April 14, 2013 at 11:55 pm

lol. Oh no your not one of those are you?

Thanks for pointing it out. It is actually THERE and I fixed it.

2. BrosephJolla April 15, 2013 at 12:13 am

I thought that it was a great movie and did deserve and evil dead title however I do agree that it should have been 4 and the deadite ending should have happened with Ash.

3. Brandon April 15, 2013 at 2:45 pm

I loved it, but Evil Dead never did have a huge following.. Had a huge cult following, but the series was never a mainstream draw.. Not like Nightmare, Friday The 13th or even Texas Chainsaw.. So the new Evil Dead having a hard time finding an audience, not a big shock.. But it has pulled in over 40 million, I believe it will pull in around $50 – $53 million before it’s run is up..

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur April 15, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Brandon you are right. Evil Dead perhaps did not have the draw that Nightmare did but I think fans of Evil Dead are more ‘loyalist’. i know some who took their grown kids to see the new one.

Shame it did not trasnlate into a bigger box office but it did turn a good buck

4. Tiago Almeida April 15, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I won’t be able to watch until Friday, wich is the release date here in Brasil.
        But, I am pleased to know this movie has not been hyped. I would hate to see evil dead hyped. It has always been this cult thing, and I hope it stays that way.

5. alyssa April 15, 2013 at 6:17 pm

I HAVE NEVER seen the original so i didnt have any expectations but i thought it was an amazing movie and am looking forward to the next one

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur April 15, 2013 at 11:03 pm

go see the original you can stream it FREE on Netflix.

6. CogInTheWheel April 15, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Evil Dead(2013) is not technically a remake though, it’s a continuation of the evil dead story. That is the same cabin from the first two films. Things happen in a similar fashion to the original movie but the Necronomicon has been shown to bend fate for it’s own purposes.

Sure, some fans used to call Army of Darkness the end of the Evil Dead trilogy, but it’s actually a spin-off that supposedly will get it’s own sequel.

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur April 15, 2013 at 11:04 pm

you are correct and thanks for correcting me. Keep me honest :) I think the fact its not a true remake gave them more room to involve Bruce and cross the stories over for the older fans.

As far as Army of Darkness goes I thought it was awesome and it did connect to Evil Dead :)

7. Rod April 15, 2013 at 11:49 pm

As a fan of the original I really loved the remake and I hope to see many secuels and the crossover with Ash too.

8. Ugo Fredette April 23, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I am a Fan since 1981. What happened to the white possessed eye and the scream in slow motion? And the corpse levitating in the air and also screaming? Thy lost it with the Book of the Dead… To burn the Deadites, or buried the bodies alive, so they will come back normal!!! What the F”””!!! Ash did it with Linda in the original, and she came back Eviler than ever… Fede Alvarez is verry hot to do short film on the net (Panik Attack), but he is clearly not a Fan since the beginning… I am sure that, when Raimi call him to do the remake, he rush himself to see the 2 movies and deliver the merchandising in time… I am a assistant filmmaker in Quebec… Give me a Budget. I will give you what Fan really want.

9. Erick Balce July 5, 2013 at 7:25 am

Well, let’s admit this remake is better than the original!!! I watch the orig many time just to get the thrill of my life every time I crave for real horror movie nowadays.. And this one though most of its elements totally absorbed in this remake, the ingredients needed to raise your furs to the max are really put right here!!!

10. angelz October 23, 2013 at 4:56 am

i honesly didnt injoy this remake it didnt make sense it was nothing like the oringal witch disaponted me cuz i loved the oringal the girl under the stairs was the only this fron the first one i felt like walking out and getting a refund i realy didnt like this one i think they should of left this one alone like every orignal movie there a reason why there orignal for a horror fan like us