Jurassic Park 3D Dominates the Box Office

Herner Klenthur 17 Comments

Jurassic Park 3D Dominates the Box OfficeThe original Jurassic Park movie was a monster in every sense of the word. Over its life time it has generated $350 milion and is a movie that I am still very passionate about to this day. The film has recently been converted to 3D and re-released into theaters to milk new dollars from our wallets.

I did not go see Jurassic Park 3D because I am not a fan of gimmicks but I will concede it did cross my mind to see it now that 3D has finally started to get its legs under it. Universal spent $10million converting the movie to 3D and it has paid off for them putting the movie #2 at the box office this weekend just behind the remake of Evil Dead.

The movie landed at #2 at the box office according to BoxOfficeMojo beating out GI Joe Retaliation which to me is both hilarious and sad.

They spent $100million on GI Joe Retaliation just to have a movie from 1993 converted to 3D for $10million defeat it. I suppose that is me stretching a bit since GI Joe Retaliation has made almost $70million in its entire run so far but I for one would rather watch Jurassic Park 3D then GI Joe 2 any day of the week.

My biggest issue with post converted 3D movies is that it will start a new and potential vile arms race to re-release old movies for the cheapest possible budget in 3D. I have heard that Jurassic Park 3D was well done but my fear is that its success will drive more studios to follow suit and each time they will try to do it for less causing the quality to digress to a point where fans again loose faith in 3D.

None of our team saw Jurassic Park 3D yet but my good friend Luke Crum did and he writes;

To my surprise the 3D in JURASSIC PARK is not a complete waste. There are some pretty cool moments and depth of field moments that make the experience a little more immersive. The problem is that 3D wears me down and by the end I was a bit tired of the gimmick and the longer the film runs the less I even try to pay attention to the 3D to the point I just feel like I’m watching a dimmer version of a movie I really love.I was worried how the night scenes would hold up with the darkness of the 3D glasses and for the most part the image remained intact while I had a hard time recognizing the depth of field in the scenes. The standout being the T-Rex attack, but the lack of 3D can be attributed to the fact that this scene just thrills me no end and can’t be bothered with anything but just drinking every ounce of special effects magic and entertainment from it.

You can read his whole review here: Jurassic Park 3D Review Did you go see Jurassic Park 3d? Tell us what you thought below.

Sexiest Horror Movie Victims 20 Best Horror Films of 2011 25 Best Monster Movies Of All Time

1. Robert David Clifford Wilkinson April 7, 2013 at 4:14 pm

You’re so lame. Convert your balls into 3D so I can 3D kick them. What a waist of time. G I Joe Relaliation is super awesome. Makes you think. And in 3D is way magnificent. Something to watch in theater. Jurassic Park? The way I remember watching it and how it goes is all in 3D the helicopter at the beginning and end, lawyer on the shitter, a lot of talking in vehicles. Not super worth it. They should have made a new movie.

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur April 7, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Lol thanks for not being a troll. Oh wait… Seriously though are you saying you saw it and it was a waste of money? I couldnt understand your comment.

I am honestly not surprised if its not a great 3D movie since post conversion tends to not turn my crank either.

2. ChrisMohrSr April 7, 2013 at 5:35 pm

When will these know it alls learn how to spell and construct a decent sentence,? Or . . . I’m sure some grade school children could check and edit their comments for them.

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur April 7, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Your comments directed at the author or the comment above?

3. Midnite Marauder April 7, 2013 at 9:04 pm

To be fair, many ppl may have just wanted to take their younger children to experience this movie for the 1st time (since its a re-release) and there were not very many theaters offering 2D viewing times as compared to its 3D version. You can’t deny that it was an iconic movie when it was first released back in the 90’s. I went to see Evil Dead yesterday and there were tons of families lining up to see JP in both the 2D and 3D formats. More still because a lot of teens were not allowed unaccompanied into Evil Dead without their parents and thus were stuck having to accompany their families into JP instead.

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur April 7, 2013 at 10:41 pm

I know I wish my kids were older so I could take them to see it.

4. Dennis Francis April 7, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Jurassic Park is still one of the best movies ever and still to this day the special effects and practical effects hold its own to a lot of movies out there.

I am not a fan of gimmicks but, Jurassic Park in 3D was absolutely awesome. The whole movie was 3D. Not just a few scenes (Like the god-awful Saw 3D or Tron)

I did not feel cheated or like I wasted money from it.

5. ChrisMohrSr April 8, 2013 at 12:49 am

Herner,

If you just happen to have a 3D HDTV, Blu-ray is releasing “Jurassic Park” in 3D on April 23rd, my 84th birthday. I have preordered it to be delivered on my birthday. If you decide to get a 3D HDTV and order the 3D version from Blu-ray, your kids will probably wear it out.

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur April 8, 2013 at 12:51 am

I bought a Plasma with ACtive 3D while they were on sale. Took me awhile to save for it but you are right my kids LOVE it.

Active 3D brings new life to 3D and Jurassic Park 3D will be on my buy list

• ChrisMohrSr April 8, 2013 at 1:34 am

Herner,

I have a VIZIO passive 3D HDTV. I was around for the 50’s TV craze and when presented properly, 3D films presented with the polaroid glasses method were very effective, even then.
          Some years ago I bought a shutter glasses system from razor 3D, which was quite effective, but could only be used with a Cathode Ray Tube, or CRT TV set. I had most of the 50’s 3D films in this format, but cannot use them now if I want HDTV.
          My point is that when I compare shutter glasses with polaroid glasses, polaroid glasses win hands down because of cost, flicker, having to put heavy battery operated glasses on top of regular glasses . . making for some discomfort. Polaroid glasses can be bought in a clip on version, making glasses wearers feel as if they are not wearing 3D glasses at all.
          My question to you is, have you been able to make a fair comparison between these two systems and what is your opinion?

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur April 9, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Hey Chris sorry for the late reply.

I HATE 3D. It makes me sick and I find it blurry and a wash of dark colors. As if I was watching a movie through a dirty window or in the rain.

That said my ACTIVE 3D TV is a dream. I can not believe the difference and have to say it has sold me on a technology I have openly trashed on this site.

I think anyone who can find a deal on Active 3D TV’s absolutely has to do it. The first movie I watched was Green Lantern and it was not so great ( to much post production ) but DREDD 3D blew my mind.

Active 3D with proper 3D cameras is fantastic in my opinion and again this from a guy who used to hate 3d.

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur April 9, 2013 at 11:31 pm

Chris I am going to order this for my son :) I loved the flick and I am sure he will to.

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur April 8, 2013 at 11:58 am

Our numbers were friday only. But you are right its now changed if that is the intent of your link

6. bob101910 April 9, 2013 at 5:17 am

Saw Jurassic Park in 3D at an IMAX and it was amazing. Well worth the 2 and a half hour drive to the nearest IMAX. The first time you see the T-Rex is unbelieveable still. Looks so real. I really liked how the whole movie was in 3D, almost like it was completely filmed just for it (Only 3D trailer that looked like it was well done was Iron Man 3). I was talking to a young man there and he thought the movie was made in 2002 and filmed specifically for IMAX 3D. It’s that good.

Plus I was born in ’91 so I wasn’t able to see it in theaters the 1st time around. Any chance to watch classics on the big screen (3d or not), I’m taking it. They could’ve just added a few scenes of 3D to the dinosaur scenes and I’ve would’ve been happy with it (for a 3D movie), but they went ahead and did it to the whole movie.

NOTE: The only other 20+ times that I’ve watched it was on VHS, so obviously it was going to blow my socks off.

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur April 9, 2013 at 4:35 pm

I wish there was an IMAX closer to me so I could check it out in that format to.