Robert Kirkman Talks About the Future of Walking Dead

Jason McDonald 10 Comments

The dust has long settled on the season three finale of Walking Dead and while the fans are debating the quality of the series, Robert Kirkman and crew have already turned their eyes toward the fourth season of the hit AMC show.

Robert recently chatted with IGN about the future of the series along with his thoughts about how the previous season had ended up.  You can read the entire interview here, though a lot of it is pretty much more of what we’ve heard Kirkman say in the past about killing characters and advancing the plot.  The most interesting bits are the minor details that he drops about season four.

Robert Kirkman on the future of the Governor:

Yeah, he’s still very much in the mix. That’s certainly not the last that we’ll see of him. When we see him again and where we see him again, that’s the big question. It’s not going to be like it was in Season 3; it’s not going to be Rick and the Governor on a collision course with a conflict between them. He’ll be used in very different ways next season.

Robert  Kirkman on the group staying at the prison:

A bigger group brings with it bigger problems. They are certainly going to need a lot more resources, and they already have a lot of rebuilding to do, just from the things that happened in this battle between Woodbury and the prison. I don’t think there’s going to be a shortage of conflict and danger coming into the fourth season, despite the fact that they are still in the prison.

Robert Kirkman on the direction of season four:

I’ll say that there are a lot of familiar elements that are remaining. Michonne is still around, Rick and his group are still in the prison, the Governor’s still out there… so there are a lot of things that are carrying over from Season 3 to Season 4, but I can’t stress how different things are going to be.

There are going to be some radical changes to those elements that are going to bring in a lot of new storytelling. While [Season 4] does seem somewhat familiar, it’s going to be vastly different from Season 3.

The bottom line in the interview seems to be “more of the same, but different.”  How that’ll actually play out on screen remains to be seen.  If you’re a fan that felt burned by the previous season of Walking Dead, what would you want to see to renew your faith in the series? Let us know in the comments.

Robert Kirkman Talks About the Future of Walking Dead

Sexiest Horror Movie Victims 20 Best Horror Films of 2011 30 Worst Horror Films Of All Time

1. christy April 3, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Please get rid of the governor. His story line is old which is why people were growing tired Of season 3. Daryl and Carol needs to stop with the foreplay and get down to either being together or finding different intrests. Rick needs to start being a father to with his kids and stop letting a teenage kid have his say. Beth needs to stop being a sissy and start holding her own. Glenn and Maggie are awesome. They are going in the right direction.

• Dennis Francis April 5, 2013 at 12:32 am

^^Just another hater.

How was Beth being a sissy? She was taking care of Judith. And she showed us some gun skills in the finale.

Rick left Carl in charge of the prison while he is away. And Carl turned out to be a badass.

Daryl now has to deal with killing his zombie brother. And Carol has turned into a Dale-like character. I love her character.

Glenn and Maggie are great together on screen and have a natural connection. Though I feel one of them might go next season. Wedding? Probably….But then something will go wrong.

And as for the Governor, he was the best character next to Daryl by far in this season. Everyone hated him. Including myself. And to keep him alive was the greatest thing a director can and should have done. We spent 13 episodes hating him so much and when he doesn’t die, the shows producers did exactly what was needed. Cliffhanger.

• christy April 5, 2013 at 2:10 am

Excuse me, but I’m not a hater. I’ve watched this show faithfully since day one. I’m just stating my opinion. Just like you. So don’t be accusing when you know nothing about my viewing habits or what I think.

2. Tatiana April 4, 2013 at 12:10 am

We want more action! I know that talking is a big part of life but dragging conversations out for 3 episodes is very irritating and can frustrate your favorite fans! We would love to see more Morgan! It would be crazy if the governor tried to take over Morgans space! What ever happened to that other family that left the camp back when they were over run and Amy died?? Will they ever encounter Randalls group?? As a huge fan, I feel having these events play out can make great episodes!! We also do not know how Shane and Lori crossed the line from friends to lovers.. Also, it would be incredible to see how the apocolypse started from the very begining!! Seeing more Shane would be amazing!! I know thats a lot, but hey, I am a FAN!! (:

3. Brook April 4, 2013 at 1:54 am

I would like to see a return to the metaplot of the comics. The first season was OK, even with the changes. The second season was 3 issues of comics dragged out across 13 episodes. The third season was over 30 issues of comics squished into 13 episodes. You can make changes, but STICK TO THE METAPLOT and use an appropriate pace. They should already be on the road, so next season can deal with them heading to Alexandria.

• Dennis Francis April 5, 2013 at 12:38 am

Kirkman himself stated long before the Series started that he was creating a whole new show losely based off his comics. Characters, plots, etc., was going to change to fit TV. There is not much character development in the comics and its hard to do an exact replica.

What is awesome is that he is behind the show and gives us a Walking Dead comic world, that is set in our own world.

If the comics were to be paced for a TV show, we would have 30 min episodes with cut scenes that would make no sense to the average viewer.

4. All Wrong (@theAllWrong) April 4, 2013 at 10:47 am

not again season 2…

• Dennis Francis April 5, 2013 at 12:34 am

Everyone hated Season 2 because it was character development. I loved it.

5. Amber April 4, 2013 at 2:10 pm

The battle was very disappointing! i was much more fierce in the comics. I ma so over the Governer. He needs to be killed off soon. we need to move on from him. I kind of like the idea of rock building his own community. One thing I do not understand is why they brought everyone back the the prison, which is full of walkers. Why didn’t they move to Woodbury? I hope that by bringing in more people they are not going to juggle to many story lines. I’m glad Tyresse is finally with Rick. I am also glad Andrea is dead and I hope that rick’s visions of Lori are over. I didn’t like her when she was alive and I hated that she lingered around after she died. I am really looking forward to season four. I hope it is not a disappointment like the season three finale.

6. Dennis Francis April 5, 2013 at 12:40 am

I was hoping Lori would eventually appear as a Walker. I still don’t think Carl actually shot her. They never actually showed the bullet go through her head. Its a side-plot that could have been used a lot better IMHO.