Evil Dead Reboot Continues To Reap Rewards!

Herner Klenthur 11 Comments

The 2013 remake of The Evil Dead has divided our community but there is no denying it has been a huge success. I am a traditionalist so as much as I enjoyed the remake for what it was I will be honest in saying I wish it had a different name. For me there is only one Evil Dead and that must have Ash played by Bruce Campbell leading the way.

There is no flexibility for me on this in the same way that Kurt Russell is the only one who can play Snake Plissken.

That said legions of old school horror fans and brand younger fans have made Evil Dead a monster success for SONY and the films producers which include Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell. Evil Dead (2013) according to RENTRAK has made $73,765,000 and that my friends is some staggering dollars.

The remake of Evil Dead had a budget of $17million so the fact it has brought in almost $74 million assures that all the sequel talk will be much more then just talk. The question is do fans want to see another Evil Dead?

Evil Dead Reboot Continues To Reap Rewards!

I am certainly not against more but I would much rather see Sam Raimi and crew do an Army of Darkness sequel and bring Bruce Campbell back as an older, weathered hero who has one last battle with the Necronomicron and the Army of the Dead.

I am thinking Peter Jackson style action sequences with Bruce Campbell’s clever wit and Sam Raimi’s sharp writing.

As far as the sequel goes we found out in March that Fedez Alvarez is indeed working on writing a sequel. There is no real indication on where the story will take us. The big bomb shell dropped at the end of March was that the Evil Dead sequel would be tied to an Army of Darkness sequel and or reboot which would definitely see Bruce Campbell return as Ash.

Now that my friends is some exciting news! Up for more Evil Dead? Hit the comments below.

Most Disturbing Horror Movies Gallery: Best Walking Dead Zombie Kills! 30 Worst Horror Films Of All Time

1. CraigimusMaximus May 12, 2013 at 8:39 pm

I loved the new movie. It had its flaws but overall I really enjoyed it, particularly Jane Levy’s performance (Hail to the Queen, baby!). Looking forward to the sequel(s).

2. BASSI May 12, 2013 at 9:09 pm

No, I did not think it was that good at all, I actually saw (The) Evil Dead again today, it was so much better then this movie, yes Evil Dead as some gory moment but never the creepy with factor at all nothing with just blood and gore.

Anyway sequel to remakes don’t seem to work at all, I can’t think one sequel to a remake that as actually be good!

The RIng 2?
        The Grudge 2?
        The Hills Haves eye 2?
        TCM – The boring
        Halloween 2 ?

None of these movies were great at all, ,

I rather see the Army of Darkness 2! with Ash!

3. Michael P. Shipley May 12, 2013 at 9:17 pm

There has been some progress on AoD2. Bruce doesn’t want to go through the “horror” of another AoD so they’re doing auditions for Ash. Believe it or not, Arnold Schwarzenegger gave it a shot. Here’s the video… http://youtu.be/PQKCMh5r_Fg

4. Mike N May 13, 2013 at 8:05 am

lol that was a cool vid

• Michael P. Shipley May 13, 2013 at 11:45 am

Thanks. I always laugh when I watch it. Glad you liked it.

5. Paul May 13, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Might someone be kind enough to explain the flaws the films seemed to completely ignore in regards to its own plot? I saw the movie on opening night and walked out most enraged – I walked in excited, with an open mind, and the best intentions of enjoying a new take on one of my favourite classic films – and then I was destroyed. The first 50 minutes were very well done (I liked the plot, the characters, and the acting) and then logic went out the window.
        Some questions:

1) The demon required (5?) souls but there were 5 characters – didn’t everyone have to die for its resurrection? Did the dog count as a soul? Can someone who recently saw the film do the soul math?
        2) How did the demon leave one host and enter someone else? When? Why? He was never bitten or infected that I can remember (but I was pretty angry by this point).
        3) Can you really destroy the ultimate force of darkness by cutting off its feet?
        4) Why would the director promise no cheesy-one-liners and then film the last half of the film with them?
        5) Did the movie actually make any sense?

6. Jim Parsons May 13, 2013 at 11:47 pm

1) The girl who’s burnt to death in the beginning is the fifth soul you’re looking for.
        2) Does it matter? It didn’t in the original.
        3) Depends how smelly they are. On a busy week when I don’t get to wash too often, I often call my feet the ultimate force of darkness.
        4) Maybe he didn’t realise they were cheesy? Why would this annoy you anyway?
        5) Made sense to me, and again, the original is kind of casual about it’s approach to logic over thrills.

7. Paul May 14, 2013 at 3:18 pm

I thought the girl at the beginning was destroyed to kill the host inside. And once he killed his sister and brought her back she should not really count as a death. It just seemed overtly disjointed but I do appreciate the reply. I do agree with your final comment about the first films approach, but this one seemed on a different level when it started and then just went the “rollercoaster” approach.

8. Jim Parsons May 14, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Yeah it started serious then just gave up on that, but that’s okay for me. I watched the original again last night and it does have a crazed gonzo-like attitude only a film made with $50 and a lot of enthusiasm can have. But I thought the remake, while flawed, still had a nice old-school feel that was infinitely better than all the terrible Plantinum Dunes remakes.

9. Paul May 15, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Agreed…thanks for talking. I will admit the film had plenty of swagger and that is so missing from film.

10. russ June 25, 2013 at 3:28 am

Name a better remake/reboot in the last decade.