Is A Walking Dead Movie Being Planned?

Herner Klenthur 15 Comments

ZombieLand was originally planned as a television series and ended up as a feature film and The Walking Dead it seems might make the transition to the big screen.

Rumours have been circulating for the better part of 8 months that The Walking Dead could potentially wrap up as a feature film and or make the transition from the small screen to the big screen. I have to admit I seriously question why on earth AMC would even consider doing this as much as I am always a fan of more zombies at the big screen

The Walking Dead succeeds because it is rooted in the graphic novels by Robert Kirkman and it does not focus on the action, the carnage or the end of the world. The Walking Dead is deeply focused on the exploration of the people who have survived, not those who have died or the explosive trauma that unfolded on Day Zero. Frankly its very similar to how George Romero made his films before the zombie genre got watered down to running zombies or epic CGI fests like Brad Pitt's World War Z

Is A Walking Dead Movie Being Planned?

The Walking Dead requires a very drawn out story and in my humble opinion can not possibly succeed as a feature film because you cant cover enough pieces in 90 minutes to please fans of the show and those of us paying to see it on TV will revolt if we have to pay again to see the finale in theaters.

Not only is the story not condusive to a 90 minute movie but I question what AMC would benefit. I am less inclined to go and see the finale in theaters. A Walking Dead Movie would clearly be rated R which would limit its theatrical release and in turn the revenue potential. All more reasons to ask why bother?

I have no inside information on The Walking Dead revenues but lets do some quick math. An R-Rated Walking Dead Finale might do as well as the highly touted Evil Dead Remake which brought in roughly $60million as of a week ago.

According to Adage The Walking Dead Season 3 brought in $200,000 to $370,000 per 30 second commercial spot. So if we take that a step further and note that on average for an hour long show we have 21:51 seconds of commercials we can now show off my 4th grade math skills.

With 21 minutes of ads, that means 42 ads per show at lets split the difference and say $250,000 per ad and we get $10.6million per episode in ad revenue. If we look at 10.6million per episode in advertising revenue, multiply that out by 13 episodes you are potentially making more money then a movie like Evil Dead (2013) did theatrically and we are not including the video on demand or the DVD sales for Walking Dead

Add to the mix of commercials the people like myself who watch The Walking Dead with a video on demand subscriptions and the number balloons even more. Now as noted I am not an advertising expert and I have no clue what AMC actually makes per episode and all my numbers can be complete garbage as noted its just some 4th grade multiplication.

But even if the math is off by 50% I still have to question why AMC would want to do a movie when a long running series will rake them in more money in ten fold. We do know that AMC's revenue increased 16% in the fourth quarter to $157million thanks to The Walking Dead according to the Wall Street Journal so even if my 4th grade math is off its safe to say the show is making crazy revenues.

Why on earth would AMC do a theatrical run when doing a carefully budgeted TV show is working out so well? The Walking Dead can easily last till a 6th or 7th season and continue to make AMC and its investors filthy rich without the budget needs or problems a feature film brings.

Sound off in the comments and if you happen to work in advertising or TV or for AMC for that matter feel free to correct my math and educate us all.

Sexiest Horror Movie Victims Best & Worst Horror Movies of 2012 Gallery: Best Walking Dead Zombie Kills!

1. uradick May 1, 2013 at 1:41 am

season 4 ain’t out yet dick-wad! did you copy and paste this

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur May 1, 2013 at 1:44 am

The 4 is next to the 3 on my keyboard and I accidentally had the wrong one. Congrats on being the troll of the day. Its kinda like Zombielands Zombie Kill of the week only much lamer.

2. zombyz1 May 1, 2013 at 2:40 am

Perhaps the movie will be based on one of the full length novels and not the graphic novels. The rise of the governor and the road to woodbury were both excellent stand alone books and didn’t involve any of the cast from the tv series with the exception of the Governor, Penny and Martinez. The Governor’s story is an excellent one and not the one that every one believes it to be.

3. Hellion Hellsing May 1, 2013 at 2:53 am

It could be in the contract with AMC. Sometimes if a series is successful, a movie is usually written in for the studio….and sometimes, much like the case of Beavis & Butt-Head Do America, a film is usually done for the producers to finalize any commitments they may not be able to continue with…which usually means that soon after the movie, the show is canceled because the producer has honored their end of the follow through.

4. PeesephoneK May 1, 2013 at 4:33 am

It depends on how they did it. The X-Files feature film fit in nicely between the 5th and 6th seasons of the series. It brought new fans (including me), and worked to both further the show mythology and stood on its own. Something like this in TWD universe could be cool.

• LadyDayanna May 21, 2013 at 4:15 pm

South Park did something like this too.

5. anna t May 1, 2013 at 6:06 am

I would like to see any of the Gov. novels made in to movies or a Dixon Brothers prequel movie. I mean we got flashbacks of how everyone from the Atlanta camp kinda met up but other than the game, we dont really know what happened with Daryl and Merle prior to the beginning of season 1. that could possibly be do-able in a 90-120 minute movie. I definitely dont want to see the show end on the big screen. As its been noted each episode is like a movie unto itself, so why take what they do and degrade it by ending it that way? Hopefully we wont have to worry about this for quite some time. And hopefully we wont be forced to endure a movie of that calibre because hopefully AMC is smarter than the dipshits that cancelled Firefly forcing a movie to sort of end it (still hoping that comes back at some point).

6. WeirdArchives May 1, 2013 at 8:11 am

I’m with you. If there was a WALKING DEAD film, it would probably be focused on original characters not from either the comic or television series. Not an easy thing to attract fans. I suspect if they were to do a film, they’d probably centered it on another locale like New York or Los Angeles or Bismarck. Beyond that, I’m drawing a blank.

7. cameron May 1, 2013 at 8:45 am

They could just make a back story movie about merle and daryl that’d be worth a watch. Better than the game anyway :-)

8. Josh May 1, 2013 at 12:44 pm

I think they should do something about how it all started to begin with…show all that drama in a two hour movie…

9. Johnson Michael May 4, 2013 at 2:27 am

im a big fan of the show i wouldn’t mind a movie of it i think if you took the walking dead game (no not survival instinct im talking about the good one.) and used the actors from the show(the ones you could anyway) and make a movie after that game, yes video game movies tend to suck but this is one that could potentially be a good one.

10. Frederik May 6, 2013 at 10:11 pm

I doubt Rise of the govenor would work – the governor in the tv series is too different from the one in the novel (and comics).

The Telltale game certainly has an awesome story – Whether or not it would work as a movie – I don’t know – also we already know what happens – but maybe a movie tying into the story and characters from the tell tale game, as well as some from the tv series

11. Jimmy Parsons May 22, 2013 at 3:48 am

if you go to some of the webisodes it kinda tells the tale of a few characters and how they got to the start of the series. personally i think not only for me being a huge fan but for the potential to bring in new fans to the first episodes (selling more dvd’s and more subscriptions to netflix and other means of watching the original episodes) doing a story about most if not all of the original characters before the apocalypse and how they got to where they were when the series started could be a great thing if done right not only for the current fans but bringing in new fans (especially before a new season starts) would boost even more revenue for everyone involved…….

12. Roni December 3, 2013 at 5:50 am

This is for “uradick”; Dude, are you really so intolerant of people who make mistakes that you feel the need to blast them with profanities. What am I saying, of course you are. The screen name or call sign you’ve chosen identifies you as ignorant so I must ask you how’s that working for you?? That aside Mr.H.K. I think you made a fantastic point and your article is well written.