Rob Zombie Announces He’s Done Making Horror Movies

Herner Klenthur 37 Comments

Rob Zombie you either love his horror movies or you hate them. Rarely does there seem to be much middle ground on this topic. This morning one of our readers alerted me to the fact that Rob Zombie seems to have had his fill of doing horror movies. Thats right he is throwing in the towel…. at least for now.

The Pheonix New Times did an interview with Rob Zombie asking if he would be interested in doing a monster movie next and his answer was pretty shocking declaring the Lords of Salem will be his last horror flick;

No. I’m not really thinking of doing anything . . . Lords of Salem is my last sort of horror-genre related film for a really long time.

Rob Zombie has gotten plenty of heat over the years and some scorn from horror fans. He had the balls to step up to remake one of the greatest horror movies of all time, Halloween and then followed that up with a sequel to a remake. I thought his remake was pretty solid but the sequel was so bad it just made me brain hemmorage.

His film House of 1000 Corpses put him on the map. The film is not only one of the best modern horror movies it proved that he can really create something original and terrifying. Rob Zombie also managed to make a sequel The Devils Rejects that was as good as the original which is an extremely rare feat.

As far as Lords of Salem goes it has gotten a pretty good response from the writers on our site. Ryan Maher reviewed it and says;

‘The Lords of Salem’ basks within it’s originality, but it’s short term success will be restricted by it’s budget and inevitably quiet initial distribution. Mark my words though, twenty years from now people. This has cult classic written all over it, and I have no doubt that given the trust of a big league producer, a known cast and backing from a major distributor like Lions Gate, Rob Zombie could very well take us back to our childhoods, to the very first time we watched ‘The Wicker Man’, or ‘The Exorcist’, or ‘Child’s Play’.

Those were the days. If he learns from his mistakes and continues to work hard as he did on ‘The Lords’, Rob Zombie could go on to do great things. If he were to quit tomorrow, at least he could say that he’s had a go, and money was never his goal.

It would seem that Ryan had a crystal ball in his last sentence because it seems Rob Zombie is done with the genre. DirtyGirl says;

…..I think this movie will get very split reviews from horror fans.  If you can appreciate an art-house independent horror film you will enjoy it.  If you prefer a grindhouse style gory action movie, you will hate it.  I am sure this movie will surprise and divide Rob Zombie fans.

Up until now, Zombie has earned a very well-deserved reputation for films that push the limits of good taste.  For the most part I have enjoyed most of his films (yes, even Halloween 2!) For me, Lords of Salem showed that he is not a one trick pony when it comes to his writing and I really appreciate that.  I highly recommend you go and see it when it comes out and form your own opinion about it.

What are your thoughts on Rob Zombie deciding to hang up his boots when it comes to the horror genre? Worth noting this is not the first time Rob Zombie has quit the genre he made a similar declaration to the Chicago Tribune back in 2009. Perhaps he is just looking for his fans to reaffirm their love for him and encourage him not to leave? I for one hope he keeps making movies.

Is it a loss or a win for horror fans? Did you see Lords Of Salem? How much do you think that film played into his decision? Hit the comments.

Best & Worst Horror Movies of 2012 Gallery: Best Walking Dead Zombie Kills! 25 Best Monster Movies Of All Time

1. Matt May 14, 2013 at 5:09 pm

I love him, NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! His horror movies are so great and he’s just starting to really tap into his potential. I hope he changes his mind about this

2. Tiago Almeida May 14, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Dude, that’s pretty sad. I really hope it is just one more of his bitching jive, the guy does that a lot. It is pretty clear that the Lords of Salem had it’s limitations, and off course if he had more time/money it would be a different movie, specially the ending. But I really think he did find very good creative solutions, and he was able to tell a pretty good story. But, you know, the guy is a Diva in his mind, so who knows what goes on there? Is he pissed off with the result of the movie? or with the financial return? (I bet half the people who watched it, downloaded it for free)
        I really hope he changes his mind and realizes how important he is for the horror community. I will be waiting on his next film.

PS: non related: just a suggestion, review dark skies and shadow people. both surprisely great movies.

3. bob101910 May 14, 2013 at 6:41 pm

His movies are really hit or miss (same with his music). I wonder if he will start making other genres. I wonder what a Rob romantic comedy would be like.

4. Horror Head May 14, 2013 at 8:13 pm

He didn’t say, as you state in your title to this article, that he’s “done making horror films.” He said, “. . . Lords of Salem is my last sort of horror-genre related film for a really long time.”

The key words here are: “really long time.” Not as you state: “done.”

Get your facts straight. I know it’s the attention-grabbing headline that pulls readers in, but at least in your article state the truth.

When Zombie does do another horror film, and he will, ppl will say, “Hey! I read you quit horror films.” And he’ll have to defend himself because of false headlines like this one.

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur May 14, 2013 at 8:28 pm

i suppose we could have put ‘temporarily may have might return probly will’ in the title

• Horror Head May 15, 2013 at 5:16 am

I actually like that headline better.

5. Flay Otters May 14, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Give me a break – Journalism 101 – headlines are short and to the point. The headline was not ‘will never film a horror picture again, zombie touts knitting project’ or something abjectly false. So chill the hell out, grammer police have been in full effect the last couple days. Geez, decaf already.

• Horror Head May 15, 2013 at 5:19 am

I understand journalism hence my comment. And if Zombie touts knitting project, it’ll probably have his wife in it somewhere.

6. Leah (@doctorwhojunkie) May 14, 2013 at 10:07 pm

I personally think rob zombie is like any artist and he strives for perfection which is great but can also lead to some issues. i love his movies.
        Not only did he make amazing Halloween remakes but he also made his very own original movies as well, i will admit although i enjoyed Lords of Salem and felt it was unlike many of the movies i have seen recently i found the ending to be a product of writers block, it ended abruptly and i would have loved to have seen the story line go further i gave it some slack because i assumed of course that he would make a sequel or spin off after the movie to bring some of the aspects left untouched to light and make this film a classic,however hearing this i feel as if the film fell short of his true potential!
        This movie is something that takes me back to the black and white horror films i grew up on with modern twist.
        I hope he doesn’t give up i think this movie was the beginning of some amazing untapped potential! zombie is a great artist and i love how his mind works like no other,being a individual and setting yourself apart from the so call “norm” is very important and i feel he has it down!

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur May 15, 2013 at 12:15 am

well said Leah :)

• Tiago Almeida May 15, 2013 at 3:14 am

I saw a recent interview of his, and he said that the original ideia was to make everyone from the present represent someone from the past. So, I was thinking that those women that killed themselves in the end are all blood related to the people that burned Margaret, and suffered her curse many years after, they are not witches like I believed.
          Anyway, a lot of the untouched issues I believe it is on purpose. If you read Lovecraft’s short tales there is one in particular that is very similar, I don’t remember the name right now, but the structure is pretty similar to everyone of his short tales. I am sure that the Lords of Salem was much inspired on Lovecraft’s work, with a zombie twist, like all he does. and that’s why we got this eyewitness version, instead of the omniscience we usually see in films like that.

I do agree we need fearless people like him making movies.

7. Sam Hain May 14, 2013 at 10:55 pm

If he didn’t make Halloween 2 then I would argue against it, but that movie was a serious P.O.S!!

8. Chuva May 15, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Great, great news! This guy is a friggin travesty upon the horror community. Next headline I want to read is, “Rob Zombie says he’s done making movies and music forever.” That would mean three glorious things. 1. No more shitty Rob Zombie movies. 2. No more shitty music with the same beats and riffs over and over again. 3. His awful wife would be out of work, cause no one else will sign her talentless ass.

• Ash
          Ash May 15, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Her ass has plenty of talent :) looking great in TLOS

9. 1Marklar May 16, 2013 at 5:53 am

Alright, so people love to hate on Rob Zombie movies. But new horror movie after new horror movie that comes out these days wether it be a remake or a new idea that has not been seen before just does not add up to the genius I find in Rob Zombies horror film making ability. I seem to end up re watching a Rob Zombie film every year since House of 1000 Corpses came out. I see a negative review about the remake of Halloween II and it just makes me want to watch the movie again. There will always be people that find a reason to dislike any film he has created which can be said about any film ever created, but I will be a fan of Rob Zombie movies for life.

10. Jason May 16, 2013 at 10:13 pm

I love all his work! He thinks outside the box and does things his own way and I respect that. He is very talented and anyone who cant see that are either jealous or don’t have a ounce of talent or creativity in their body. He will be back horror is in his blood and he wouldn’t let his fans down like that.

• Oby Wolf May 30, 2013 at 3:55 pm

yes ist in his blood I bet his next one will be a kick ass , seen all of his movies ,H2 was kinda too dreammy :/ , and The Lords was unexpected It reminded me of classic horror ,good writing but a Rosemarys baby kind of movie flow I liked it its twisted a little more action would have been nice . Just think people whats the last good horror movie you have seen?……

11. shannon May 17, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Clearly a person who can not appreciate horror movies. I have a sick and twisted need and his movies fill that need. Everyone has an opinion and a right to it but if he was truly that bad at what he does then you wouldn’t have read this article because it wouldn’t matter to you.

12. Suspiria May 17, 2013 at 2:19 pm

This isn’t too surprising. I thought Zombie’s next movie was going to be about the Philadelphia Flyers in the 70s, “The Broad Street Bullies.” A hockey movie! I admire him for staying true to his passions, no matter how unmarketable they may be.

13. Dez Jacobs May 17, 2013 at 2:53 pm

I absolutely LOVE Rob and Sherry both!! It’s rare to have two people be together as long as they have in the spotlight, let alone make such wonderful films together!! They compliment each other well. Rob’s visions are often brought to life by his wife’s ability to act her sweet little ass off!! I wouldn’t want him to stop here….in my opinion, he’s just getting started!! And with Sherry’s looks, she should be in movies as long as possible!! She’s like a bottle of wine!! She only gets better with age!!! Keep it up Zombie family!!! We need soooo much more!!!

14. michelle wascher May 17, 2013 at 3:04 pm

so pissed i love rob zombies movies!!

15. C.U.Splatter May 17, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I hope it’s a temporary leave. LOVED House of 1000 Corpses, Devils Rejects, and Halloween (ok, not so much on H2). Haven’t seen Lords of Salem yet, but I will. Bet he could do hard crime movies in the meantime. DR was close to that anyway.

16. RH May 17, 2013 at 8:34 pm

YAY! …cuz your horror movies completely suck.

• paul May 20, 2013 at 11:21 pm

His Horror Movies suck but you seen them all right?

17. paul May 20, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Rob zombies movies kick ass none of us can do what he does, give the guy a break people, lets hope he comes back soon.

18. Doug Parker May 21, 2013 at 4:03 am

I hope this isn’t the end. I have felt Rob was the “something fresh” that horror needed. Lets face it, horror movies just aren’t as good as they used to be (hence all the remakes in the last 15 years), but I think Rob Zombie has added a lot to the genre and respectfully remade the Halloween movies. I loved them both, and “The Devil’s Rejects” is one of my favorite movies ever. I loved “House of 1000 Corpses”. To me, It’s the best art-horror film I’ve seen. I have not had the pleasure of viewing Lords yet, but I am sure I will enjoy it as well. Please, Rob, don’t stop making movies. I honestly think you will go down in history as one of the most loved horror writer/directors. Don’t give up on the fans, and we won’t give up on you.

19. Chris May 21, 2013 at 9:06 pm

I love Rob Zombie, but… the dude rapes ideas from so many sources to fuel his own ‘unique vision’. His music is a romp through every b-movie ever made… not his ideas and his movies, again… a romp through someone else’s ideas. House of 1000 corpses was a mega-mix of horror tropes from the by-gone days. I’d like to see him genuinely venture into original territory.

20. inheaveneverythingisfine May 28, 2013 at 9:57 am

don’t really care, he is kind of a hack.

21. Zomm Bie May 29, 2013 at 9:11 pm

I think lordsthe of salemit is already a cult classic its one of those movies that is going to take a certain taste in movies to appreciate but R. Zombie fans should be used to his way of film making with that being said. I can see where alot of people are not going to like the movie , its very low budget and though it was intended to look that way alot of people dont like those types of movies,and the movie did jump around quite a bit however it was easy to follow and i was surprised and disappointed to not see bill Mosley in it, now as for the Rob Zombie fans who didn’t like it , they need to remember R.Zombie is all about classic horror and old cult history and he did achieve both in this movie so even if you don’t like it you at least have to respect what he was trying to and did accomplish (low budget, a twist on cult history and some sick disturbing Rob Zombie gore) though i don’t see it being a movie i could watch over and over like 1000 Corpse and D. Rejects it was still a great R.Zombie film.

22. Zomm Bie May 29, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Lords of Salem ….i dont know how that got all jumbled

23. Mark Nieuwejaar May 30, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Rose McGowen saved his bacon so why isn’t she in the movie ?

24. Lorde Battle May 31, 2013 at 7:41 pm

How would losing a horror director ever be a good thing? I for one hope his love of horror movies brings him back.

25. glenn July 7, 2013 at 11:57 pm

I like Zombie’s films. Hated the Halloween remake, but love H2 for the all the bits that get criticism. Sadly, I’m sure this has as much to do with the difficulty of raising budgets and getting distribution as anything else.

26. jessie November 15, 2013 at 5:45 pm

I hope he don’t stop making horror movies. I loved all his movies……

27. Ann Hollis December 5, 2013 at 8:55 pm

We love all the zombie movies have em all.horror and el superbeasto hopefully more made we are fans of rob zombie work.

28. F1rocco March 24, 2014 at 3:18 am

How about a rob zombie Tarantino film both use 70’s actors and are twisted..

I’m not wrong..

You heard it here first..

F1rocco