Walking Dead Season 4 New Heroes, No More Prison?

Herner Klenthur 19 Comments

Walking Dead Season 4 is shooting as we speak and it will introduce a whole slew of new elements including new heroes, new villains and a brand new location. The new location has me really puzzled.

Robert Kirkman already told TV Line that although the Prison would be in Season 4 we should expect a new location saying;

There’s always going to be new locations and new places to discover and explore. I don’t want to reveal too much; Season 4 is still five months away. But I will say that as we see at the end of Season 3 we’re definitely going to start Season 4 at the prison.

We may be there the whole season and we may not be… But there are going to be some big differences from Season 3.

Season 4 of The Walking Dead will be set a few months after the events of Season 3 and SpoilerTV has posted new photos from the set of Walking Dead Season 4 which seem to show a military base. This is leading to speculation that the Prison will not be the main background in the next season of The Walking Dead which pretty much confirms what Robert Kirkman has already said.

Candidly I felt the Prison was never used to its full potential and I am quite surprised that the writers and producers are so quickly moving on from it. The word is that the Governor won’t be the main adversary in Season 4 and perhaps that is part of the reason for the potential location move or perhaps the writers feel its time for a fresh start. That said the Governor will still make an appearance.  Robert Kirkman in relation to the Governor returning in Season 4 said quote;

That question will be answered [in] Season 4. We always had a plan for this guy. We always knew that it was a bigger story than would fit into one season. There’s still a lot more to be done with this guy. We’ve known from the very first minute of Season 3 that we would be keeping the Governor around for a while.

As far as the villains go I truly hope that the writers will have the balls to build Rick’s son into a twisted shadow of his former self and build upon the conflict between Rick and Carl.

When it comes to the greatest anti-hero a scorned and under parented teenage boy who also is the group leaders son is about as solid as a storyline can get. Robert Kirkman talked with TV Guide about the struggles that Rick will have with Carl in Season 4 saying;

Rick’s got his work cut out for him. He’s aware of this and he sees what allowing his son to become a child solider has brought, which is a very big part of Season 4. Moving forward in the show, this is a guy who’s working as hard as he can to maintain a life for this child.

[In] the process of surviving… he’s allowed his son to lose a pretty substantial piece of his humanity. It’s now a question of: Is there going back? Is this now status quo? These are the things that a father will have to deal with.

With Beth now being bumped to a full-time character as well not only will the father son conflict be exciting but so will the potential love angle. That said having Carl ‘turn to the dark side’ will be the biggest shocker of the entire show if it plays out.

As far as new heroes go there will actually be two. Lawrence Gilliard who will play Bob Stookey and Chad Coleman who plays Tyrese. Tyrese is not a new character but up until now has been a fringe character. Season 4 will see Tyrese step up to a leading role.

In the graphic novel Tyrese and Daryl both were Rick’s right hand men after the death of Shane so it should be interesting to see how Tyreses’s character transitions in Season 4. [ CORRECTION: Daryl is not a character in the graphic novel thanks to all who corrected me ]

Probably the funniest comment I have read so far is that Lori will have a cameo in the upcoming Walking Dead Season 4. Thats right some fans think that she will and the proof is the photo which was released for Season 4 by AMC.

The photo features Rick and a wayward zombie which if you quint at the already blurry photo might be Lori. Wasnt Lori ripped to pieces though? A huge stretch there if you ask me.  I have to say its hard to tell but I think that this is a huge stretch considering Lori was zombie bait in Season 3.

Walking Dead Season 4 New Heroes, No More Prison?

Best & Worst Horror Movies of 2012 30 Worst Horror Films Of All Time 20 Best Horror Films of 2011

1. Valeria May 13, 2013 at 1:42 pm

One problem with the article is that Daryl was never in the comic book series….

2. A TWD Fan May 13, 2013 at 2:35 pm

A couple of mistakes are in this article. First, Tyreese is spelled incorrectly. It is Tyreese, not Tyrese. Secondly, Daryl wasn’t in the graphic novel. Daryl was created for the TV show and has only appeared in it.

3. ChristoMax May 13, 2013 at 2:37 pm

“In the graphic novel Tyrese and Daryl both were Rick’s right hand men after the death of Shane..”

Daryl isn’t a character in the graphic novel, he was created specifically for the show.

4. Shane May 13, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Correction, Daryl was never in the Graphic Novel!!!

5. John May 13, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Daryl is not in the graphic novel. His character were created for the television show exclusively.

6. Ben May 13, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Daryl has never appeared in the comics. Only Tyreese, who’s been lacking a head for the last 64 issues.

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur May 13, 2013 at 4:42 pm

thanks Ben and everyone else above for correcting me. My bad :)

7. Corey May 13, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Truthfully, I predict the Governor is going to run into the group Rick and Co. were fearful of in Season 2… and that would be Randall’s group. Randall told Daryl through torture that there is roughly 30 men, heavily armed, and that numer could have doubled over the months between Season 2 and 3 and Seasons 3 and 4. If this prediction were true, it would give the Governor an extremely scary and powerful army… much more equiped and prepared to fight and kill than those Woodbury citizens were.

8. Kevin May 13, 2013 at 5:53 pm

That’s not walker Lori in the photo, either. You are correct — she was devoured by the walker that Rick found in the tombs and bludgeoned. If she has a cameo, my guess is it will be as yet another Rick vision.

9. Chris May 13, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Lori was devoured, and even if she wasn’t, that still wouldn’t be her. Unless walkers figured out how to dress. She didn’t die in a dress and blazer. I think Lori’s done on the show. I love that she was brought back in Rick’s mind and he finally stopped seeing her when “she” felt he was doing the right thing. Lori’s death was huge to the character of Rick and I think him not seeing her at the end and showing the cross meant that part was done.

10. Mike New May 14, 2013 at 8:26 am

They took a big risk killing Lori off in the show.

11. Pat-e-cale May 22, 2013 at 4:39 pm

I believe I seen a Blooper on The Walking Dead……
        Carol took down a Female Zombie at the prison..useing a large metal rod
        to her right eye….(Sorry..not sure what eposide but do believe it was in Season 3.
        Also in Season 3….Glen went into the prison yard in search of a ring for Maggie…the Female Zombie Glen removed the ring from…was the same Zombie Carol stabed in the eye with the rod……
        Was it the same Female Zombie or was it not…!!!!!

12. shawn May 24, 2013 at 2:18 pm

why would lori be wearing a mans suit coat with no shirt underneath it? the chances of that being her are slim to none.

13. Vamps May 25, 2013 at 8:02 pm

We actually didn’t witness what happened to Lori. It was heavily implied that she was completely eaten by a zombie, whom Rick found with a belly so full and swollen it couldn’t move. But, if so then it had to eat her bones and skull as well as her flesh. There was nothing left but a bloody stain on the floor, from what I remember. The last time we see Lori in the flesh, before that scene, is when she dies during child birth and Carl has to shoot her to make sure she doesn’t come back as a zombie.

However, I don’t think that we saw Carl actually shoot her. We heard him fire the gun, but the camera was on Maggie at the time. I don’t think we see Lori’s body again, ever. So, it’s possible that enough of her survived to become an ambulatory zombie, since everything that happened aside from her actual death from complications of child birth was implied and not actually shown.

Still, Lori made cameos throughout season 3, anyway, as Rick’s hallucinations. I don’t think we’ve gotten any indication so far that that suddenly went away. So, I think if she shows up again we’ll probably see her as Rick’s hallucination again. We could see her as a zombie, I guess, but I hope not. I’m actually really sick of Rick’s issues and would love for him to stop hallucinating, and whether he stops that or not seeing her as a zombie is probably going to make things worse for him and we’ll have more emotionally and mentally unstable Rick for s4. <<; I seriously hope that's not the angle this goes, whether she makes cameos as anything or not.

And it isn't that I don't like Rick, I love him. And I don't begrudge him grieving for his wife, especially since she died before they even patched things up between them. But, I think hallucinations and going insane are just a bit too far and I'm ready for that to end and for him to move on. So, hopefully that will happen during s4. Things are bad enough in zombie world without adding insanity. Plus, Michonne mentioned that she may have had a similar issue with her boyfriend's death and she seems to have moved beyond that now so…yeah, hopefully it's something Rick can and will get passed in s4. *crosses fingers*

Either way, though, I'm still really looking forward to the next season of The Walking Dead and it's already hard knowing that I still have so long to wait before the premiere! And I know I'm not the only one frothing at the mouth for more despite how long there still is before we'll get it.

14. Tyler May 27, 2013 at 6:07 am

I agree with Corey. the Governor will likely run into the group from season two. Also, no way that walker is Laurie.

15. Sarah June 11, 2013 at 5:58 pm

You never actually see Lori get eaten… She was shot, but when Rick returns to retrieve her body, she’s not there…

16. Boltzylover July 7, 2013 at 3:33 am

No way in hell will Carl turn bad. You’re nuts.

17. Tara Shea Mann July 9, 2013 at 12:23 am

This is the wife & I understand that Darryl doesn’t fit in to this story BUT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT DARRYL!!!!!!!!””

18. Gustavo Manzanares November 26, 2013 at 6:38 am

Hey! I know this is random but i cant remember but in the comics, someone from the saviors said tht they had found a group of people a man and his 2 daughters but they didn’t kill him, they simply made him watch as they raped his daughters, going back to season 2 when Daryl is talking with randall about his group. Randall admits tht his group once found a man with his daughters and the father had to watch as they raped them. My theory is could the writters have been setting up the saviors since season 2?