The Walking Dead: George Romero Talks Directing, More on Andrea’s Return

Herner Klenthur 18 Comments

The Walking Dead is without question a smash hit TV show for AMC but history has shown that wont always last forever. AMC has announced they are looking to do at least 10 more seasons of The Walking Dead but the biggest obstacle getting them to that point is not the on-screen talent but the people behind it.

The more I look at the current state of The Walking Dead the more I keep thinking how much better it would be if they had George Romero in the mix. The story has deviated from the graphic novels which is both good and bad but as they try to build an emphasis on the survivors as much as the zombies they seem to be missing the mark more often than not. Who better to add the perfect mix of terror and social commentary then George Rerome?

I was curious why the producers of The Walking Dead had never approached one of the original Masters of Horror to direct an episode and it seems they actually did. Although producers approached George Romero he was not interested and this to me is a huge shame for fans of the zombie genre and the hit show on AMC.

The thought of Romero behind the camera directing episodes of The Walking Dead literally makes my brain gurgle with glee.  George Romero told IO9 that although he was approached it just wasn’t his thing because the zombies were not his style.

I love the books, I haven’t seen any of the episodes. Listen I love Frank [Darabont], I know he’s done a good job. I love the books, I never watched any of the episodes because… my zombies are sort of my own. I didn’t want to be part of it.

Producers called and said, “do you want to direct some of these,” and I said no. Because I just didn’t think it was me. I’ve been waiting to see the whole first season, which I missed because I’ve been traveling. I’ve been waiting to look at it, but I haven’t seen any of it.

He goes on to explain what he means by his zombies saying;

My zombies are purely a disaster. They are a natural disaster. God has changed the rules, and somehow this thing is happening. My stories are about the humans who deal with it stupidly, and that’s what I use them for. I use them to sort of make fun of what’s going on in a number of societal events. And that’s it, I don’t use them to just create gore. Even though I use gore, that’s not what my films are about, they’re much more political. That’s it.

I can not think of a single person who could possibly translate a more powerful message  to the small screen then Romero. George Romero’s iconic zombie films continue to stand at the top of the heap as the best genre films ever made and if anyone can help The Walking Dead get to 10 seasons its George Romero.

As far as the latest updates on The Walking Dead go the controversy over Andrea’s death continues to spin out of control as thousands of fans have now signed a petition demanding her return to the show.

Fans were mixed on their response to her death some were outraged while others declared good riddance. Laurie Holden already addressed the issue talking with TV Line about her demise;

It’s not up to me, you know? I’m the actor. I do what I’m told. The writers are the ones in charge of the storylines. And they write the scenes. Woulda, shoulda, coulda. Do I wish we could’ve seen and explored more of the comic-book-Robert-Kirkman Andrea? Yes. Absolutely.Do I wish that I had more scenes with Michonne showing that friendship? Yes. Absolutely. But at the end of the day, I don’t think I could ask for a better death. I feel like her life mattered, and she died trying, and her heart was in the right place. I feel grateful for that. You can’t have it all.

The fans have had a very mixed reaction to her demise but more specifically the big concern with fans seems to be all the drastic changes between the graphic novel and the show. Reader Jim Laca writes;

Many of the things I loved about the comic are being changed or omitted in the tv series. The character developments and interactions, also. While I understand that the tv show is supposed to be different, it can not become so different that it leaves comic fans pissed.

Kirkman is walking a thin line, and needs to be careful.

Shawn had an even more interesting insight leading to more speculation that she was returning for Season 4 of The Walking Dead when Laurie Holden cancelled from Comic Con just as shooting started. Shawn writes;

Hmmmm!! Ironically Laurie cancelled her Comic Con appearance May 10th,11th,12th due to “filming schedule”!?! It just so happens The Walking Dead Season 4 is shooting this month?!!! New Andrea flashbacks with Michonne? A burial service?! Hmmmm!!! What’s Robert Kirkman up to?!

Regardless of whether you want Andrea back or not this has resulted in all kinds of cornball ideas on how they can do this. My personal favorites;

She didn’t actually die since we never saw her body so somehow Michone has her stashed away safe and healthy

It was her twin that died not the actual Andrea ( seriously )

She is dead and will return as a zombie on chains as Michone’s newest pet zombie.

She will return in flashbacks that will play out the story of Michone and Andrea while they were in the wild alone.

The last one is possible the rest are hilarious! Frankly I enjoyed the job that Laurie Holden did in The Walking Dead but sorry folks she is dead! There is no bringing her back and even in flashback montages I am not entirely sure how it works. What are your thoughts on the 4th Season of The Walking Dead which airs this October?

Gallery: Best Walking Dead Zombie Kills! Best & Worst Horror Movies of 2012 25 Best Monster Movies Of All Time

1. bob101910 June 2, 2013 at 9:37 pm

10 more seasons is way too many. It’ll be hard to come up with good ideas at that point. They would have to be pro zombie killers by then.

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur June 2, 2013 at 9:38 pm

In Season 8 they would introduce John Connner :P

• Clayton Frazier June 2, 2013 at 11:08 pm

True. Saying 10 seasons is taking a leap, since most shows don’t last that long.

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur June 2, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Most horror shows have a very short half life. I think Walking Dead has 2 seasons left at its current pace but I also am sure AMC has a few tricks to keep the appeal going.

2. Teufelhund OR June 2, 2013 at 10:17 pm

She ate a .44, how the hell could she come back, and was bitten… that would be jumping the shark totally…

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur June 2, 2013 at 10:54 pm

well at least a few of the hair brained theories do account for the .44 snack she ate. I agree however its definitely jumping the shark. Andrea is dead and as much as I love Laurie Holden its over for her.

• Linda June 6, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Hey All you people out there that never saw Andrea shoot herself or anything . Just heard a shot,!! Well where is all your imagination ? We did not see Andrea die ! Ok! Damn , all you people , anything could happen with Andrea in season 4 , if the writers want her to live, she lives! she could be immured to the “zoombie-citation” , Michonne couldn’t t kill her….. And Andrea lives. You are right HMCA, Andrea is the most well rounded strong woman they ever had on TWD! Damn ,Andrea must come back! … All those guys and Cardboard female persona’s don ‘t do it for me and a lot of people that think behond the surface!
          Lowest blow to the TWD show is if Andrea is dead! Writers take note!

3. Theodore June 2, 2013 at 11:50 pm

1. 10 more seasons will drag out the story.
        2. The show’s version of Andrea was incredibly annoying ever since her first scene,i can’t believe anyone would even remotely want her back.
        3. Is Laurie Holden the most butt-hurt actor ever on tv? i mean,seriously,just STFU already,ever since the finale’s “inside the episode” video,she’s been whining and being disrespectful to the show on interviews,people had enough of that.

4. Brent June 3, 2013 at 5:11 am

Aside from flashbacks, hallucinations, etc., it’s possible to bring back Laurie Holden (not Andrea) by her portraying as a long lost identical twin that Andrea never knew about. Buuuut it’s probably gonna seem right lol.

5. Brent June 3, 2013 at 5:14 am

*NOT gonna seem right >.<

6. Sparky June 3, 2013 at 12:33 pm

FYI – “Then” indicates something happening next in a sequence. If you want to compare things, THEN that zombie is scarier THAN the other one. Spelling saves lives.

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur June 3, 2013 at 1:27 pm

if spelling was the difference between life and death then we would likely not survive the apocalypse. Thanks for catching it

7. Dennis Francis June 3, 2013 at 4:53 pm

-Ok I keep having to defend the show because too many people are hating on it because she died. She needs to stay dead and not be brought back at all. Kirkman has stated numerous times that he deviates from the comic only for better entertaining television. I love the show and thought Season 3 was amazing.

-10 seasons on the other hand is far to many. I cannot see this show keeping strong ground for that long. I agree that many this series only has about 2 more STRONG seasons left before it starts to take a dive.

-As for Romero. I respect him and everything but he has lost his touch for zombie movies. Id much rather see Danny Boyle (28 Days Later) direct a few walking dead episodes.

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur June 3, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Valid points but how about we let Danny Boyle AND George Romero direct? I dont think Romero has lost his touch I just think that as fans our tastes have changed. I did not like Land of the Dead first go through but will concede i love it now having seen it 6 or 7 times

• Dennis Francis June 4, 2013 at 4:51 am

Very true. I have only seen Land of the Dead once and that was more than enough for me. LoL

Maybe I will give it another go :)

I have no doubt Romero can do a great episode.

8. Tiago June 3, 2013 at 6:15 pm

they should bring her back just to kill her in a more painful way.

9. Linda June 6, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Lowest blow to the TWD show is if Andrea is dead! Writers take note!

10. Former PoPo June 7, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Rick’s gun is not a 44 magnum. A Colt Python is a 357 magnum.