Kevin Smith’s Tusk Entering Pre-Production

Goon 7 Comments Movie Page: Tusk (2014)

Kevin Smiths Tusk Entering Pre ProductionKevin Smith seems to have taken a liking to the horror genre after taking on Red State he has now settled on Tusk a film that is currently been put into motion. The entire film was conceived on his podcast show Smodcast when discussing a Gumtree advert with his long time collaborator Scott Mosier. The ad went something like this:

To take on the position as my lodger you must be prepared to wear the walrus suit for approximately two hours each day (in practice, this is not two hours every day – I merely state it here so you are able to have a clear idea of the workload). Whilst in the walrus costume you must be a walrus – there must be no speaking in a human voice, and any communication must entail making utterances in the voice of a walrus.

Since that time he completed the script and has even shipped it off to Red State star Michael Parks. This is supposed to be a more unsettling type of horror similar to his previous flick in the genre Red State. Hopefully we will soon have some more information about where this film is going. Keep it here for more.

30 Worst Horror Films Of All Time Sexiest Horror Movie Victims Most Disturbing Horror Movies

1. DemonicHoodlum July 25, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Can we please all agree that not only was Red State NOT a horror movie, but that it SUCKED!!!!! It seems like ever since his stand-up one night live performance borefest where he defended his reasons for making it, everyone is cutting him slack and saying it was such a genius/artistic twist on the genre. No, it blowed (just like Copout). With the exception of John Goodman’s dialogue, IMHO of course, I thought Red State was a big heaping pile of … okay okay I liked Kevin Smith’s early comedies too so I’ll stop beating up on the man. I wouldn’t want Jay and Silent Bob to come pay me a visit …… cuz then I would show them the meaning of REAL horror MUAWHAHAHA. K, rant over…

2. Salvatore July 25, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I Agree. No, Red State was NOT a horror movie and Yes, it sucked. Basic Hollywood deal…if you believe in God you must be a religious nut-case. If you are a Rebuplican you murder people.

3. Tiago July 25, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Red State was brilliant. I love every one of Kevin’s movies, but I agree, it is not horror. Kevin Smith can’t do anything without comedy. Even when he tries it. There will be a punch line somewhere. And I just love he’s humor. Waiting on that one.

4. DemonicHoodlum July 25, 2013 at 7:13 pm

I hate religious nut-cases and it’s hard for me to stomach the majority of these new generation bat-shit crazy Republicans, but I like to treat people on an individual basis. The premise of Red State didn’t bother me and it didn’t seem like Kevin Smith was going after Republicans as much as he was cult leaders. My problem was with the plot, the story, the sense of “where the fuck is this going?”, and the fact we were told this was a horror movie and it went in some weird dialogue-filled direction between cops and preachers and “God’s” trumpet or whatever in the background.

@Tiago, just out of curiosity, what did you find “brilliant” about the movie? What did I not see that you did?

• Tiago July 25, 2013 at 8:08 pm

I like to be surprised. And I said “WTF” a few times in this movie. I love that.
          The dialogue in his movies are aways the core. And I love how he does it.
          The end scene is so awesome, God’s bell was originally supposed to be a real “end of time” thing, but Kevin changed his mind. Anyway, I love that scene so much, as it separates religion from spirituality, religious leaders from God.
          But most of all, I love this film because it is not what you expect from it. It can go anywhere and that is the mark of a good film maker, to me.
          I have very similar religious views as Kevin does. I am a Cristian just like him, You don’t have to be radical to be a Cristian. You don’t even have to be religious. So I like the overall critics and considerations of that movie. I would have to watch it again to go more deep on it.

• DemonicHoodlum July 26, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Thanks for the explanation Tiago. I normally love Kevin Smith’s dialogue too (Dogma to me is the epitome of brilliant dialogue), but it just felt off in the majority of Red State to me. The preacher spoke waaaaay too long and his words were not interesting to me in the least. I am more of a spiritual person along the same vein as KS as well. I think religion needs to be criticized for the atrocities it has committed and the judgmental fire it continues to spit. However if you claim to be a “Cristian” you might want to spell the word correctly (Christian). Heheh just busting your chops, buddy. Thanks for responding back.

• Tiago July 26, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Not all religion is bad. If you study history a little you will realize that communism has killed more people than religion all over the world. And I used the latin spelling of the word Cristian, as I am not american. Peace brother.