Terminator 5: Will Arnold Be a Military Hero?

Herner Klenthur 8 Comments Movie Page: Terminator: Genesis (2015)

Terminator 5: Will Arnold Be a Military Hero?

Arnold Schwarzenegger wants a piece of the upcoming Terminator 5 and the fans seem to want him in it as well. At least that is what Arnold has told the press a half a dozen times in various quotes.

One thing is for certain fans are not overly excited by the rumor of him being replaced in the role of Terminator in T5 by Dwayne Johnson aka The Rock.  When we reported last week that The Rock was a contender to play the Terminator in the upcoming Terminator 5 fans literally went hog-wild about how bad an idea it was. Added to the mix along with said rumor came word that Terminator 5 would be set in the 50′s and would see machines go back in time to kill a less well equipped Conner generation. Arnold’s role in that rumored plot line was as a human savior of some sort.

I really hope that this ends up being untrue and that instead we see Arnold reprise a role he played once before in T3 as Sargent Candy.

One thing is for certain and I have said it a dozen times now Arnold absolutely can not play the Terminator. He is far to old and the last thing we need is him appearing in pure CGI like in Terminator Salvation. Either properly include him in the movie out of respect or recast him in a better role.

I have called for Arnold to play a human character which the T-800 was modeled after and as it would happen that is exactly what was done in Terminator Salvation and somehow I completely missed it on the ‘deleted scenes’.

Arnold played Sargent Candy the human model for the T-800 in Terminator Rise of the Machines but I had no idea until Dennis Francis one of our regular readers wrote to tell me. After doing some reading I have not only learned who the character is but found the deleted scene from Terminator 3 we meet Sargent Candy. [ via Youtube ]

Watch the clip below.

Now admittedly that is an absolutely horrendously campy twist on the Terminator but that is not to say they can not salvage the idea for Terminator 5.

My thinking is Terminator 5 should pick up right after Terminator 3 where Conner is in the bunker and is rescued by a survivalist who takes him from the bunker and teaches him how to survive and wage war against the machines. Simply put Arnold’s character would be the first member of the resistance turning John Conner into the leader he becomes. Whether or not the call him Sargent Candy is irrelevant but having Arnold form the resistance with Conner and discover in a twist of events that the new Terminator model is him would be a pretty original concept for Terminator 5.

How the movie producers at Anaprun will turn this into a new trilogy of Terminator films I am not sure but one thing is for certain if you are going to include Arnold Schwarzenegger in Terminator 5 he absolutely must be human.

Then again you could always be original and not cast him at all. You could even go one step further and not include John Conner at all as some of our readers have called for but is it Terminator if you have no Conner?

Thoughts? Hit the comments below.

Best & Worst Horror Movies of 2012 30 Worst Horror Films Of All Time Most Disturbing Horror Movies

1. Andres July 1, 2013 at 10:57 pm

while I love Terminator (1984) and T2 (1991), I do not want to see Arnold reprise his role. He is too old.

2. Dennis Francis July 2, 2013 at 12:21 am

LoL oh god you would! Scene is absolutely ridiculous.

Quick edit: The scene is from T3, not Salvation ;)

Anywho, the idea of using his character as Srg. Candy could work out. As far as im concerned deleted scenes arent official cannon, so its doable.

But in a perfect world, if he is going to be cast in the movie, he NEEDS to be the Terminator again. I respect the Rock for making it in Hollywood. I really do. But as a Terminator. Please leave off the big screen “Rock Bottoms” “Candy Asses” And “Jabronees”

As someone brought up in a previous article and comment, there is no reason to cast a BIG NAME action star to make this film work.

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur July 2, 2013 at 12:30 am

I think it was Me that said we dont need a big name actor like The Rock to make this work. :) I had a typo on Terminator Salvation thanks for catching that.

I love the idea of Sargent Candy I am however not even remotely pleased with how it was done in that deleted scene lol

3. Simon July 2, 2013 at 1:03 am

Once again, please proof read all posts on this site.
        I really love reading this blog, but when there are two excruciatingly obvious grammar errors in the first two sentences, I miss out on the entire article because I just stop reading. I’m not sure if its one writer or the lack of a second set of eyes to proof, but please don’t blindly post things without taking a second look. Spell check is pretty ubiquitous, please use it!
        With Regards.

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur July 2, 2013 at 1:09 am

Hey Simon as fan boys who run a horror site we have no editor. That said the two BLATANT mistakes in the first paragraph was idiotic and a result of spell check gone awry.

Tks for reading and thanks for pointing it out. We are by no means journalists or english majors but we strive to do our best every day as fans who love the genre and blog about it in our spare time.

4. Jim Pemmas July 2, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Terminator without Arnold = crap. But i like the idea of him being human this time and your plot sunopsis. However, the most important part is the director. A very good director will choose a good script and make a great movie out of it. Fingers crossed…

• Dennis Francis July 5, 2013 at 5:26 pm

I absolutely agree Jim. but to be honest I really think the only director that could even possibly bring this franchise back is James Cameron. Unfortunately that does not seem the case though he may be on board to produce.

5. Benjy July 16, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Why not just make the movie version of S M Sterlings T2 infiltrator book, Arnie can then play Dieter Von Rossbach, job done and the trilogy is already written. Its time the films returned to a decent plot line, played out in the present with flashbacks/forwards to the world run by the machines.