Under the Dome Gets a Second Season

Jason McDonald 7 Comments

Have you been enjoying this summer’s “Under the Dome” event series?  Are you anxiously awaiting the series finale to see all the mysteries and answers revealed?  Well, you might not want to get too excited. It looks like CBS is going to get a second season out of this series.

During their presentation at the Television Critics Association conference, CBS announced that they were going to renew “Under the Dome” for a second season.  The first episode of the second season will be written by Stephen King.  The reason for the renewal is due to the fact that “Under the Dome” has been incredibly successful for CBS, pulling in over 10 million viewers a week.

Am I alone in thinking that this was going to be a summer mini-series event?  I kind of feel like that was the message CBS was putting out there when they first announced that Stephen King’s “Under the Dome” was coming to their network.  Maybe I’m wrong, maybe I misinterpreted what they were saying.  Perhaps CBS had other intentions.

After all, they did let it be known that the ending of the series would be different than the book’s original finale.  Perhaps they drafted a new ending so that if “Under the Dome” was a hit for CBS, they’d have a way of stretching it out for another season.

I’m not a total pessimist about this move though.  If there’s a good story justification for continuing this for another season, then I’m on board.  However, if this season’s finale feels anything like a cheap cop out to cash in on more ratings, CBS runs the risk of losing a good number of viewers when the show returns next year.

How do you feel about “Under the Dome” getting a second season?

Under the Dome Gets a Second Season

Most Disturbing Horror Movies Best & Worst Horror Movies of 2012 25 Best Monster Movies Of All Time

1. Strider July 30, 2013 at 7:28 pm

I’ve been enjoying it. I haven’t read the book as I rarely read fiction anymore. The characters are good and that is what’s most important to me.

2. Dread World (@dread_world) July 30, 2013 at 10:09 pm

I would have enjoyed it had I net read the book. Way too many changes for me to feel comfortable with. Stretching time out from a week to months was ambitious, but now they are going to do it over seasons? I know you can’t be married to the source material, but this is a huge stretch.

3. Tiago July 30, 2013 at 10:28 pm

I really like the series. But I don’t think it has the kind of plot structure that it can be stretched so much…

4. Greg July 30, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Was planning on watching it when the “mini-series” finished. Surprise! It’s not mini.

5. Mrsjulio July 31, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I read the book and so far I like the changes they have made to some of the characters, though I am sad to see one die off this last show :(. Not sure I am happy to see them trying to stretch it over another summer. Will have to wait and see how this season ends I guess..

6. Ken Morse September 17, 2013 at 9:52 pm

I didn’t know until just now that we lied to about the “miniseries” part. I was looking forward to seeing how they were going to end it & then poof on came our local news. I thought “what the @#$%&$#” kind of ending to a series was that. I’m not sure if I will watch it any longer after they pulled that stunt.

7. William September 19, 2013 at 7:17 pm

The only reason I watched was because I believed it was a summer event and it would be finished. I am feeling very betrayed and will not be watching season 2. This is worse than the Lost series, much ado about nothing.