A New Director Is Announced for The Stand Remake

Chris Savage 16 Comments Movie Page: The Stand (2014)

A New Director Is Announced for The Stand RemakeWhen I first heard that Ben Affleck was attached to direct the remake of The Stand, I was scratching my head wondering why. But, looking back, I need to give the guy credit where it’s due. He has definitely proved his worth as a director and now it appears Affleck won’t be directing the remake after all. And you know what? In hindsight I was looking forward to what he would bring to the table.

So, just who could be directing The Stand remake now? The folks over at Heat Vision have the answer. According to the site, Scott Cooper is currently in talks to direct the remake for Warner Bros. and CBS Films.

Affleck had to leave the project due to starring in Gone Girl as well as portraying Batman in Warners’ Man of Steel sequel.

While Warners and CBS have a limited window with The Stand or else they will lose the rights, so this is why a director was quickly announced.

The book is a story of good vs. evil after a virus wipes out most of the American population. It features dozens of characters (including such memorable one as the Trashcan Man and Mother Abigail) and overlapping story lines running over many years as it tells a group of survivors fighting the Antichrist-like Randall Flagg.

So, with Affleck now playing the role of Batman and leaving the project, what do you guys make of this and Warners new choice of director?

Best & Worst Horror Movies of 2012 Gallery: Best Walking Dead Zombie Kills! 30 Worst Horror Films Of All Time

1. Tiago August 24, 2013 at 5:15 pm

First of all, Affleck as Batman is just so weird. But, I think they got it all wrong in that Man Of Steel remake anyway, so what do I know? Anyway, after Dark Night Rises anything is better, that movie was so bad.
        About the Stand, is it going to be a Tv series or a movie? Can’t say much about Scott Cooper, but The Stand is definitely one of King’s best work. It is way better than that 90’s TV adaptation.

• Chris Savage August 24, 2013 at 5:39 pm

First of all thanks for commenting. And to answer your question, this will in fact be a movie.

2. chimel23 August 26, 2013 at 7:09 pm

The 90s adaptation wasn’t that bad. I loved Gary Sinise as Stu.

I wish they would do it like KingdomHospital or Under the Dome…it’s too long for a movie.

• Ivaroni November 8, 2013 at 2:11 am

I agree. The 90’s miniseries had a few cheesy moments and some bad casting (Jamey Sheridan as Flagg, for example), but it had many redeeming factors such as Gary Sinise as Stu, Rob Lowe as Nick Andros and even the casting for Tom Cullen and TrashCan Man.

I watch the miniseries often and I have high hopes for the movie (and or movies even).

3. bearmon2010 August 31, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Why not ? I am sick of series. Its annoying. A movie is good idea and they should make it about 3 hours movie. It would be awesome!

• Aaron Johnson October 9, 2013 at 8:29 pm

C’mon, would LOTS been able to be 3 hours? Maybe but it wouldn’t do the book justice by a long shot just cause both books are so damn long. Maybe they could do it, but it wouldn’t be easy.

4. Tiago September 1, 2013 at 7:13 pm

I really didn’t like that series. It is very slow, and not scary. That book is terrifying, and along with The Dark Tower series is Stephen King at his best.
        I am onboard with the movie idea, it can work that way.

5. Dave Connolly September 2, 2013 at 2:55 am

Cooper’s work (“Crazy Heart”; “Out of the Furnace”) bears tremendous grit and realism; however, this epic undertaking requires an auteur with more than two films under his/her belt. Let’s face it, this is the “Lord of the Rings” of American Literature and with a possible production of three separate releases; it is walking in some pretty big shoes that will need to be sufficiently filled. And what about casting? That is truly going to be an epic quest of its own. When I first read the book 25 years ago, I envisioned Flagg as a younger Tommy Lee Jones… Now I’m thinking Benicio Del Torro or perhaps Josh Brolin. Cumberbatch?… Naaahhh!
        I’m just relieved that Ben Assflick is out of the picture. He’s entirely too self-aware.(did you see him at the SAG awards?… What an ego.)
        Thanks for the forum!

• Rose February 2, 2014 at 2:31 am

“The Kid” was one of the more frightening characters of the Author’s version…that rockabilly psychopath who made “trash can” his bride. A three picture deal would allow plenty of development for previously omitted subplots and scenes such as the capture and rescue from the interstate marauders.

6. Nikki Bradford Devries September 12, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Does anyone know when this will start? I love the book, the 90’s mini-series, everything that has anything to do with Stephen King really.

7. Aaron Johnson October 9, 2013 at 8:34 pm

With the source material as his guide, he’s gonna be busy especially if they do split it into 3 movies the way the book is structured. And having an R rating wouldn’t hurt either, why can’t adults have more trilogies? ;)

8. Brenda Flaherty November 5, 2013 at 10:11 pm

If only david lynch could be the director…

9. Ox December 5, 2013 at 3:00 am

I loved the mini series from the nineties but it just feels like it is so dated…Dave Connolly, I am sorry but the Lord of the Rings of America would definetly be the Dark tower series not The Stand. I think Benecio Del Toro would be perfect for the remake of “IT” instead of The Stand, I would like to the director Producer team from “The green mile” take on the Stand…

10. Ox December 5, 2013 at 3:01 am

I meant Guillermo del toro oops lol

11. Kaleb High January 5, 2014 at 2:09 am

Personally, I feel a trilogy would be best for the stand, granted each movie would have to run at least two hours, and casting would be rather tedious. But all in all, I very much support the idea of a movie, keeping in consideration my first statement. Don’t really know the director though.

12. Jason April 6, 2014 at 3:50 pm

It would have to be a three-(or Four) part movie to include everything Stephen King wrote to include all the parts which are pivotal to the story.