Army of Darkness 2 Will Happen, Here is Why

Herner Klenthur 23 Comments Movie Page: Army of Darkness 2

Army of Darkness 2 Will Happen, Here is Why

Over the last few weeks it has been a see-saw of activity as various players involved with Army of Darkness 2 come out and drop not so subtle hints that it is coming. The problem is that as soon as somebody says it’s happening there is  a twist in the story usually from Bruce Campbell denying it.

I for one believe that an Army of Darkness 2 will come despite the recent denials because deep down it is my opinion that Sam Raimi wants to return to his roots as badly as us die-hard fans want him to.

The reason I feel firmly Army of Darkness 2 is happening is because far to many people have said it is and despite recent denials I think even the nay-sayers ( Yes you Bruce Campbell ) want to see it happen. Lets run through the timeline on Army of Darkness 2 so far to show just how many players are talking about the film.

On March 2nd 2013 Sam Raimi officially dropped the word that he not only wanted to work on Army of Darkness 2 but that he in fact already was doing it saying quote;

I would love to make Evil Dead 4. My brother [most likely Ivan, who co-wrote Drag Me to Hell, Army of Darkness and Darkman with Sam] and I plan to work on the script this summer.

On March 16th Rob Tapert a co-producer on the original and good friend of Sam Raimi’s cleared up the rumors on whether it was going to be Evil Dead 4 or Army of Darkness 2 saying quote;

“Everybody calls it ‘Evil Dead 4′ but ‘Army of Darkness’ wasn’t called ‘Evil Dead’ anywhere except by the fans.”

And on the same day Bruce Campbell also reminded fans Army of Darkness 2 has been promised before;

“Sam threatens this every six months.” “I’ve heard this a thousand times, because in the back of his mind, he never wants to let go, because he loved making these movies. We all loved making them together. They were a nightmare to make, very difficult, but they lasted the test of time, so he’s not going to let that go, and I’m never going to say ‘no.’ It’ll be me and a walker fighting some other old guy. But that’s what he does and who knows? It may happen.”

What is Bruce saying here? He is saying the obvious that  Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert and Bruce Campbell might want to do the project but it’s up to the studio to actually green light it. Nobody said it’s NOT happening.

On March 31st Fede Alvarez the director of the Evil Dead remake told audiences at Wondercon ( with Bruce Campbell present and on the Panel ) that his upcoming sequel to Evil Dead which he is writing now will be connected to Sam Raimi’s upcoming Army Of Darkness sequel which would star Bruce Campbell.

On September 21st Fede Alvarez once again weighed in on Army of Darkness 2 saying in an interview with BD quote;

The pressure is on them now [ referring to Sam Raimi and his team ] . Because as far as I know, and heard, Sam is really determined to get Army Of Darkness 2 happening. He is actually writing [it now].

The most recent confirmation was October 22nd when Bruce Campbell told a convention hall full of fans that he was going to do it saying quote;

The last one was twenty-two years ago. I just haven’t been racing to do it. Sam Raimi is just a little bit busy making the biggest movies in Hollywood. I use to be busy. Now I’m not. That’s why I’m here.

Ash would have to stop occasionally from chasing some deadite to catch his breath. Maybe we could do that, I guess. That would be exciting. Fight in a walker. That would be alright. Hit them with my cane. Fake them out, have a fake heart attack, distract a zombie. I like it.

Alright sir, the answer is yes.

Now in fairness if you watch the video of the quote above which recently surfaced on the internet you can see that Bruce Campbell is clearly screwing around and making a joke.  That doesn’t change what Sam Raimi, Rob Tapert and Fede Alvarez have been saying for months.

Bruce Campbell is right in saying that fans need to relax a bit.  Every time he or Sam Raimi show interest in making the movie people assume its being made. Bruce Campbell rightly points out when there is a release date it is confirmed until then its just Sam Raimi talking.

That said do you think that Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi have not noticed how the internet explodes every time they do talk about it? Do you think that SONY who released the Evil Dead remake have also not noticed?

Sam Raimi is a money making machine and has his own production house so if he wants Army of Darkness 2 to happen and it would seem he clearly does then he can make it happen. Studios do crazy things but turning down a movie with a built in audience that spans multi-generations is not one of them.

Even a direct to DVD Army of Darkness sequel will be a gold mine with Bruce Campbell starring so there is no loose here for Raimi and any studio that backs him.

So lets not pretend the movie is going to come out next year but lets also stop pretending its not going to happen. If the stars align and the filmmakers get their way its clear that Army of Darkness 2 is coming and I for one am absolutely stoked!

Gallery: Best Walking Dead Zombie Kills! Sexiest Horror Movie Victims 30 Worst Horror Films Of All Time

1. Tommy Sime November 7, 2013 at 2:52 am

who cares, corny shit sucks

• Michael P. Shipley November 7, 2013 at 6:09 am

Seeing how well the ED remake did, Raimi might skew AoD2 to be more like a real horror movie and tone down the comedy.

• benjamin peterssen December 4, 2013 at 8:45 am

Well stop sucking on corny shit, army of darkness is good though

2. Chris McMillan November 7, 2013 at 2:55 am

Sorry, but the Internet exploded with Snakes on a Plane, and that film fell flat. Just because people want it doesn’t mean they’ll pay money for it, and that’s the over-riding fact that will make or break this movie. And, as much as I’d love an AoD2, it won’t make the money back.

• Michael P. Shipley November 7, 2013 at 6:08 am

The ED remake did gangbusters, proving there is a huge interest in ED movies. Every movie is a risk and seeing how well ED did, AoD2 is worth the risk.

3. Derrick Dpacino Pearson November 7, 2013 at 3:11 am

I like evil dead but army of darkness sucked ass

4. Ian Mccandless November 7, 2013 at 3:17 am

I don’t believe I can imagine 3 comments and opinions as stupid as these ones. Well done sir’s.

5. Shiyongseng November 7, 2013 at 3:34 am

I’ll believe it when I see it. Tired of all the speculation.

6. Jeffrey E. Miller November 7, 2013 at 5:21 am

Can’t wait for Bruce Cambell and Jane Levy to team up!

7. Sven Van Rompaey November 7, 2013 at 6:59 am

Gonna happen, not gonna happen, gonna happen, not gonna happen, gonna happen….get y’r facts straight before posting…this is just rediculous…this is just guessing…

• Chiron De Bie
          Chiron De Bie November 7, 2013 at 9:42 am

nieuwe versie al is gezien van Evil Dead?

• Sven Van Rompaey
          Sven Van Rompaey November 7, 2013 at 9:52 am

Jammer genoeg wel….

• Chiron De Bie
          Chiron De Bie November 7, 2013 at 9:54 am

Als ge die films dan ziet dan krijgt ge gewoon goesting vo de originele te zien :o
          Alleen zo ziet ge het tegoei ^^

• Sven Van Rompaey
          Sven Van Rompaey November 7, 2013 at 9:56 am

Maar goed, Army Of Darkness 2 zou (als’t gebeurt) wel door Sam Raimi worden gemaakt en met Bruce Campbell, dus…dat zou bangelijk zijn!

• Chiron De Bie
          Chiron De Bie November 7, 2013 at 9:56 am

… ben ni echt op de hoogt van al die namen maar … inderdaad da zou bangelijk zijn :)

• Sven Van Rompaey
          Sven Van Rompaey November 7, 2013 at 9:57 am

lol, Sam Raimi is de originele regisseur van Evil Dead 1, 2 en Army Of Darkness en ja Bruce Campbell is die bangelijke gast van in Evil Dead 1, 2 en Army Of Darkness :D

• Chiron De Bie
          Chiron De Bie November 7, 2013 at 9:58 am

aaaah :D ja van gezicht ken ik het wa, da zou idd goe om den originele acteur te nemen.
          Vernieuwing is toegestaan maar tot op een bepaald niveau ;)

8. Chiron De Bie November 7, 2013 at 9:41 am

If it’s gonna happen.
        Plz ffs don’t fuck it up!

9. Kelly WaterGoddess Mahaney November 7, 2013 at 9:58 am

I’m excited :)

10. Tiago November 7, 2013 at 3:23 pm

This is all speculation. No on knows if that movie will come to light, it is very far from being a concrete project. There is the idea, there is the will of some. But there is no project.
        So, forget about it, at least for the next 3 years.

11. benjamin peterssen December 4, 2013 at 8:48 am

How about they make it and whoever doesn’t want it to exist shouldn’t watch it, wow there you go now you shouldn’t care whether they make it or not

12. Funky Ghost December 8, 2013 at 8:10 am

I could not take this seriously after, in the third paragraph, the author used the wrong form of the word too, i.e. ” far to many people.” No one would love Army of Darkness/Evil Dead 4 more than me, but I doubt it.

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur December 8, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Sorry that my wrong use of ‘too’ angers you so much