Under the Radar: 4 Horror Films I Really Dont Like

Christopher Horton 12 Comments

You probably read this article title, and wondered: “What the hell is he getting at?”

No, I haven’t recently been abducted by aliens. I also didn’t have a stroke while writing this article. I did, however, notice that in most of my “Under the Radar” articles, I write about films that I absolutely love. I usually include a few that are “not perfect” but worth a watch.

Not everyone agrees with my choices, but that’s okay. People’s internet opinions aren’t going to make me cry in the shower, weeping openly over my bruised cyber-feelings. I have noticed that people chime in with comments, of some other movies that deserve attention. That’s the fun thing about these articles – Discovery.

So I decided to do something different, this time. Lets take a look at some films that I enjoyed, but didn’t love. There was, for me, a flaw in all of them that I couldn’t personally get past  But this is the thing: YOU might LOVE them. That’s the fun part about our little community. We all have different taste.

Some people just want to see boobs and blood. Some people want to watch a 5 hour art house film. Some people (like myself) lie in between. But there are so many genres, and sub-genres, that there is literally something for everyone out there.

Just because I didn’t love these films, doesn’t mean I hate them. I didn’t finish the film and suddenly say:

• ” You know what, I really want to feed the director’s children to an alligator.”
  • ” Take it out of the DVD player so I can call the cops and report a rape.”
  •  ” If I urinate on this, will REDBOX take it back?”

These are quality films. I just couldn’t love them. I wanted to make it work…but we were from two different worlds.

With all of that being said, here are 4 films from under the radar that I didn’t love:

1. Cassadaga (2011)

Under the Radar: 4 Horror Films I Really Dont Like

I saw the poster for this one, and I immediately wanted to see it. It was hand-drawn, oldschool style. There were two versions of the poster: an explicit one with nudity, and the edited one. “Cassadaga” is definitely the closest out of the four to a movie that I love. All of the elements were there, but for whatever reason, I thought it was just “OK”. There are some really creepy parts in this one, and I think it is worth checking out.

2. In Their Sleep (2010)

Under the Radar: 4 Horror Films I Really Dont Like

I’m not going to lie. I watched “In Their Sleep” simply because it was French horror. Really, I’m that big of a fanboy. I am not ashamed. It could have been made in Wisconsin by Australians, but everyone was speaking French. I was instantly engaged.

There is a good story, good acting, plot twists, blood, brutality…….and for whatever reason, I just couldn’t love it.

3. Trouble Every day (2001)

Under the Radar: 4 Horror Films I Really Dont Like

Once again….it’s French. And I am a sucker.

“Trouble Every Day” stars Vincent Gallo, which automatically tells you what kind of film it is. This one is extremely artsy, to the point of annoyance, with me. I literally spent 90 minutes feeling frustrated. But I have a pretty low tolerance for artsy movies that I don’t get. I’m not some uncultured, knuckle-dragging neanderthal or anything, but I also wouldn’t fit in at a cork-sniffing NYC film festival. I also don’t care for David Lynch. Go ahead, crucify me.

Not to say that I don’t appreciate this film, and I understand that other people will adore it. But I guess it just wasn’t for me. Give it a shot, if you dig this kind of stuff.

4. The Skin I live In (2011)

Under the Radar: 4 Horror Films I Really Dont Like

Talk about a twisted movie….geez. I loved the story in this one, and it took me a little while to figure out why I didn’t love it completely. But then I finally nailed it:  It was too long.

It has a great blend of art-house, and modern styles, and the acting is superb. However, the story is told over such a long period of time, and never comes together until the final act. But beyond that flaw, this is one seriously messed up movie. There are a lot of themes here that will make many people so uncomfortable that they may turn the movie off, and these themes are presented masterfully. Banderas gives an A-list performance and seems to be really into the role of our psychologically bankrupt surgeon.

What are some films that you wanted to love, but just couldn’t? Post your suggestions in the comment boxes below!

Best & Worst Horror Movies of 2012 Gallery: Best Walking Dead Zombie Kills! Most Disturbing Horror Movies

1. Johnny Ringo November 8, 2013 at 12:26 am

Two movies that come to mind real quick are: John Carpenters ‘Prince of Darkness’ , I loved the plot and atmosphere of the movie and thought it was really erie but after waiting the whole movie for the payoff at the end, well it just never happened.
        Secondly and most recently, ‘The Innkeepers’. Thought it had great acting and plot but nothing really ever happened in it. It built the tension and anticipation up but again, it just never reached its potential.

2. Tiago November 8, 2013 at 2:38 am

The Skin I live In is not exactly horror…
        I am into “real” cinema as well, and I have to say that movie is so good. I love Pedro Almodovar, and this is one of his masterpieces. But I see your point, it doesn’t work that well as an horror movie.

3. Quagg November 8, 2013 at 5:42 am

I wanted to love Antichrist because it would get me in with the arthouse crowd, but that shit didn’t happen.

• Christopher Horton
          Christopher Horton November 8, 2013 at 10:19 am

I couldnt even make it all the way through antichrist. I mean…for real. I had to fast forward it.

4. James Gamberfetti November 8, 2013 at 6:05 am

I find it interesting that you would classify “the skin I live in” as horror. I found it a to be a great film however not a horror movie. I didn’t see the rest

• Christopher Horton
          Christopher Horton November 8, 2013 at 10:18 am

I Classify it as horror because of the material and the reaction that it produces.

• Amy Morgan
          Amy Morgan November 8, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Maybe not horror but definitely horrifying.

5. Tiago November 8, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Come on people, make some effort. Antichrist is one of the best movies of the century, and it is terrifying. Not an easy movie to interpret, but God, that movie is awesome. Lars Von Tier got 2 balls, that guy is fearless. and that’s a rare thing these days. That movie is a psychological study on the very nature of Men and Women, from Dr. Freud to the Bible, Lars Von Tier nails it so hard, it is a mind fu**.

• Christopher Horton
          Christopher Horton November 8, 2013 at 6:45 pm

I thought is was a psychological study on the nature of pissing me off. It has nothing to do with effort or intellect. It was simply the antithesis of what I like in a movie.

6. Jeff Carson November 8, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Funny I just started watching Cassadaga last night, although I’m not quite done with it, almost, I feel the same. Had a few good jump moments and loved the “puppet” aspect but there was just something lacking.

I have to check out the two French films you mentioned, big fan myself!

Funny how peoples opinions differ. I for one didn’t care for Antichrist either or House of the Devil, The Last Exorcism, to name a few that others seemed to rave about.

Skin I Live In I thought was great, a tad long but liked how the story unfolded.

7. Tiago November 9, 2013 at 2:22 am

Mr. Horton, I do respect your opinion, and I am not saying everyone should like that movie, but I have to disagree it is not matter of intellect and effort. Because that movie demands both to be appreciated. And more, it demands cultural references.
        Now, if you’re pissed of because you understood the message but disagree , I do respect that, altough I would love to see anyone try and make that case. Feminists are welcome to try that.
        Now, if you didn’t get the message, and don’t care about it, it is, in the best case scenario, a matter of lack of effort.
        One more thing, Charlotte Gainsbourg, best female performance ever.

8. Koda December 6, 2013 at 10:06 pm

I actually just looked up the trailer for Cassadaga – a 3 minute trailer, but a trailer nonetheless . I’m definately going to watch it now to see if I feel the same way you did — because at first glance it looks like a definate watch. The “human marionette” concept going on..that’s pretty rad, too XD. I’ll post back again soon — even if you didn’t like em though, thanks for bringing these films to my attention, i only heard of The Skin I Live In!!