Joseph Gordon-Levitt Bringing the Sandman to Life

Jason McDonald 11 Comments

The Neil Gaiman “Sandman” series has been a permanent fixture on my desk for many years.  Every so often I like to pick up one of the volumes and leaf through the pages, silently admiring and loathing Gaiman’s ability to string words together.  If you’ve never read the series, I highly recommend you go check it out.  Or you could just wait for the movie (but don’t).

Yes, “The Sandman” is on it’s way to becoming a major motion picture.  Deadline has learned that actor/director/writer Joseph Gordon-Levitt (“Don Jon”) has boarded the project to serve as producer with David Goyer.  The project will be put together at Warner Bros. which handles all DC/Vertigo comic related properties.

At the time of this writing, Joseph Gordon-Levitt is only attached to produce.  However, Deadline is saying that he may also star and direct the picture.  For now, it would seem as if Joseph is sticking to the role of producer and leaving the rest in the realm of possibility.  “I’ve signed on as a producer on Sandman. The rest remains to be seen.” He told his followers on Twitter.

“The Sandman” was written by Neil Gaiman in the late eighties and ran to the mid-nineties and centered on a character named Dream.  The character is a mythical being who acts as the Lord of Dreams, he is one of many other figures who serve various roles to keep the universe in balance.  For example, Death is another figure who plays a prominent role in the “Sandman” series.

In the first volume, Dream is captured by an occultist and held prisoner for several decades. Upon his escape, Dream embarks on a quest to find three artifacts of power that will help him reclaim his kingdom.  A quest that’ll force him to confront the darkest elements of humanity and the legions of hell.

Joseph Gordon Levitt Bringing the Sandman to Life

Sexiest Horror Movie Victims 20 Best Horror Films of 2011 30 Worst Horror Films Of All Time

1. Stephen Magee December 19, 2013 at 1:28 am

I want Cillian Murphy or Christian Camargo to play the role

2. Vidisha Jain December 19, 2013 at 1:28 am

<3 Llı †нєяε αяε θηLγ †ωθ †iмεs I ωαη† †θ ßε ωi†н γθυ ηθω Aηđ Fθяεvєя llı <3
        (Mera page koi like nhi krta) :( ;(
        <3 Llı †нєяε αяε θηLγ †ωθ †iмεs I ωαη† †θ ßε ωi†н γθυ ηθω Aηđ Fθяεvєя llı <3
        (Mera page koi like nhi krta) :( ;(
        <3 Llı †нєяε αяε θηLγ †ωθ †iмεs I ωαη† †θ ßε ωi†н γθυ ηθω Aηđ Fθяεvєя llı <3
        (Mera page koi like nhi krta) :( ;(
        <3 Llı †нєяε αяε θηLγ †ωθ †iмεs I ωαη† †θ ßε ωi†н γθυ ηθω Aηđ Fθяεvєя llı <3
        (Mera page koi like nhi krta) :( ;(

plzzzzjOin my page…… :(

3. Kris Kurz December 19, 2013 at 1:38 am

I want to see James Fullington, the wrestler- The Sandman in it.

4. Ricky Snyder December 19, 2013 at 1:40 am

Yes. He should play the role. It requires an actor with finesse and skill. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is one of this decades finest actors.

5. Esteban Lozano December 19, 2013 at 1:51 am

Sounds cool

6. Placido Q. Urbanes III December 19, 2013 at 1:52 am

As long as Neil Gaiman will be involved, this will work.

7. David Martin December 19, 2013 at 2:49 am

Definitely! He’s a wonderful character actor!

8. John Leal December 19, 2013 at 8:24 am

No, while he is a great actor he just isn’t Dream. My vote goes to Keanu since he already proved he can play a Vertigo character well and also fits the rake thin and pale description. I also feel Ellen Page would be a good Delight/Delirium.

9. Christopher Horton December 19, 2013 at 10:56 am

I think Bennedict Cumberbach would be perfect for Dream.

10. Daniel Lawless December 20, 2013 at 10:40 am

I wonder if they will use a manga style kinda like what they used in kill bill vol. 1

11. Ian December 29, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Of all the characters JGL has played, I think his role in Looper gives the best hope for JGL’s Dream. (though I second Cumberbatch or Killian for the part!)