5 Reasons Nightmare on Elm Street 2 Kicks Ass!

Monster Mary 58 Comments

5 Reasons Nightmare on Elm Street 2 Kicks Ass!Certainly Freddy’s Revenge is not one of the best sequels in the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise, but it by no means is the worst one either.

Given an earlier article on our site where it was listed as one of the worst horror sequels ever made I feel compelled to list off a few of the reasons why I love Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy’s Revenge.

Time and time again Freddy’s Revenge gets blasted for being a bad sequel but in fact it has great 80s practical special effects, classic Freddy Krueger lines, and even a scene where Freddy gets a kiss from a pretty girl!  I think Freddy’s Revenge is one of those films that Horror fans will overlook any short comings because we love a good cheesy film.  And this movie is just that.  Cheesy in all the best ways.

Freddy’s Revenge starts out with Jesse (Mark Patton) and his family move into the former home of Nancy Thompson from the first movie.  It isn’t long before Jesse starts having nightmares starring the one and only Freddy Krueger (Robert Englund).  Jesse wakes up screaming every morning but his parents just claim he is on drugs.  Freddy makes it clear from the very beginning that he is trying to get Jesse to do his dirty work for him, which is quite different from the first movie where Freddy kills the teens in their dreams.

The Elm Street house becomes very hot for seemingly no reason and things start to melt and burst into flame.   Jesse eventually succumbs to being possessed by Freddy and a killing spree ensues.

The opening dream sequence.

The opening dream sequence where Freddy Krueger is driving the bus into the desert is a work of cinematic art for a Horror film.  It is scary and suspenseful and reminds me of the first film more than any other scene in Freddy’s Revenge.  Perhaps if Freddy’s Revenge had more scenes like this one it wouldn’t get so much flack for being a bad sequel.  An homage to the bus scene appears later in a horror anthology called Trick R Treat.

Homoerotic undertones

Freddy’s Revenge has been scrutinized in the past by some horror fans claiming that it has homoerotic  undertones.  While I agree certain scenes seem quite obvious in hindsight, like the shower scene with the Coach, I am not completely convinced that the writer or director had that intention during filming.  The supposedly gay bar scene where Jesse runs into his coach looks more like a typical 80s Punk bar rather than a “gay bar” to me (even with the two men kissing).  But what do I know?  Even if all the innuendo was intentional, I think that makes the film more interesting and not just another typical 80s slasher.

Classic Freddy Krueger lines

Freddy’s Revenge is full of classic lines like when Freddy says to Jesse… “you’ve got the body. I’ve got the brains.” Also when Jesse finds the infamous glove, Freddy appears and says… “Go ahead Jesse.  Try it on for size.  Kill for me”,   And during the pool scene Freddy opens his arms wide as if for a big hug and says… “You are all my children now”.    Freddy is still somewhat serious in this movie and hasn’t started spouting off all the corny one liners that will follow in later sequels that the character will be better known for.

The oh so 80s dance sequence

80s movies were full of cheesy dance scenes.  I suppose we have Tom Cruise in Risky Business to thank for that.  Jesse starts unpacking and cleaning his room.  Ofcourse he has to put on the radio and some silly sunglasses and dance like he is stripper for this job.  Even if it is cheesy as hell, I am the first to admit that every time I see this scene it makes me smile!

The pool party scene

Freddy finally lets loose with a killing spree when he shows up uninvited to a pool party.  One guy at the party even tries to tell Freddy to “just calm down and relax”.  But Freddy doesn’t take his advice.  The pool starts bubble and boil cooking the teens in the pool.  Freddy comes to life in this scene and in the real world he is vulnerable.  It is an unforgettable scene and has one of the best Freddy lines in the whole franchise.

To be perfectly honest, even after listing all my favourite bits of Freddy’s Revenge, I still have some reservations with the film.  In every scene that Freddy appears in, it is made perfectly clear that Jesse is the one actually doing all the killing.  But my question is: If Freddy can kill in people’s dreams why does he have to possess Jesse in order to kill?  And why in the “real world” does he look like Freddy instead of Jesse to all his victims if they aren’t dreaming?  And finally there just isn’t enough blood in this sequel.  The first film was brutal with its kills.  Unfortunately Freddy’s Revenge just doesn’t live up to the original in that respect.  Even with all its flaws, I still enjoy this movie thoroughly every time I see it.  There’s no denying it is one of the better sequels in the series.

30 Worst Horror Films Of All Time Best & Worst Horror Movies of 2012 25 Best Monster Movies Of All Time

1. Derek Smith January 6, 2014 at 1:51 am

I actually like part 2 along with the first one & part 3..watching all 3 as a trilogy is a kick Ass good time!!

2. Derek Smith January 6, 2014 at 1:54 am

I Love the first 3 Nightmare films & New Nightmare..but no matter how campy the other sequels got its a known fact that Robert Englund worked his Ass off !!

• DirtyGirl January 6, 2014 at 2:46 am

He certainly did. And I think he loved every minute of it. It shows in his work. He is also amazing to his fans, which is one of the reasons I love him so much. NOES is hands down my favourite franchise of the big four.

3. Adam Ayatollah January 6, 2014 at 2:52 am

its my favorite one

4. Julie Trombetta January 6, 2014 at 2:52 am

I loved 2!!!!

5. Matthew Sour Kraut Swanson January 6, 2014 at 2:52 am

last scary freddy

6. Samuel Carmack January 6, 2014 at 2:54 am

I like it. I remember seeing it at the drive in when it first came out. I was about 14. It was the first Nightmare movie I saw. So I will always like it.

7. Niema Schwartz January 6, 2014 at 2:55 am

Love It!

8. Johnny Crocker January 6, 2014 at 2:55 am

Aye Samuel Carmack there’s a Drive-In Ennis Texas

9. Junior Gonzales-Byrn January 6, 2014 at 2:57 am

Terrible movie.

10. Kevin Whittaker January 6, 2014 at 2:59 am

Part 3 n 4 is the best out of all the nitemares

11. Edgar January 6, 2014 at 2:59 am

For what it’s worth, the first bit of trivia on IMDB says that David Chaskin intentionally wrote in the homoerotic subtext.

12. Charles Quiz Shank January 6, 2014 at 2:59 am

Shyanne Marie

13. Joey Thompson January 6, 2014 at 2:59 am

2 was by far the scariest of them all <3

14. Tim Bearden January 6, 2014 at 3:00 am

The movie is ok and has some decent moments. However that poster has always been my favorite of the series!

15. Tea Pot January 6, 2014 at 3:00 am

Very odd movie.

16. Bryan Martinez January 6, 2014 at 3:02 am

Great article, guys!

17. Mersey Male January 6, 2014 at 3:03 am

First two were good, after that it went downhill, the stupid wisecracks of Freddy contributing greatly to the franchise’s decline.

18. Non-Euclidean January 6, 2014 at 3:03 am

I’m pretty sure the guy who wrote the movie added the homoerotic undertones on purpose and admitted as much in various interviews.

19. Brad Bromfield January 6, 2014 at 3:04 am

ahah watching em now

20. Brittany Wilson January 6, 2014 at 3:04 am

I loved it.

21. Michael D Stewart January 6, 2014 at 3:06 am

It wasn’t bad. Wasn’t great, but was still enjoyable. :)

22. Jason Hammond January 6, 2014 at 3:16 am

I liked part 2. Jack Sholder made some really great movies before and after this – Alone In The Dark, The Hidden, By Dawn’s Early Light etc. He deserves some recognition for keeping the franchise alive and fun.

23. Tiago January 6, 2014 at 3:16 am

I hate that movie and I think it is as bad as part 4 and 6, and the fact that part 3 actually is the direct sequel to the first movie, makes it senseless and pointless. The “Homoerotic undertones” may have it’s place somewhere, but certainly it is not in 80’s slasher movies.
        The first one, 3 and 5 are the good ones in my opinion.

24. James Gamberfetti January 6, 2014 at 3:21 am

It was pretty bad

25. Zacc Ford January 6, 2014 at 3:27 am

sa great movie, the whole franchise is great, my favorite horror movies by far!

26. Tom Timmer January 6, 2014 at 3:32 am

I liked part 2.. All of em were good up to part 3 after that they tended to drop off.. Loved seeing part 3 in the theatre in 3-D…

27. Marvin Darnelle Davis January 6, 2014 at 3:33 am

Robert englund is always good!

28. Jordan Lummis January 6, 2014 at 3:34 am

lol after all that flack earlier they dedicate an entire post to the shit. wise.

29. Marvin Darnelle Davis January 6, 2014 at 3:34 am

The rest of the movie,homophobic

30. Jack White January 6, 2014 at 3:36 am

This one sucked n was off the story

31. Rickey Bailey January 6, 2014 at 4:01 am

Classic oh yeah

32. Efren Villa January 6, 2014 at 4:02 am

Like this image. And the movie too.

33. Torrey R. Sample January 6, 2014 at 4:08 am

Hated it. Still do. Wanted Freddy to eviscerate the twat boy ass head fucker. Since when is Freddy an, “Alien,” type symbiote? Personality was COMPLETE unrelatable and impossible to sympathize with. Just………*blecch*

No thanks.

34. wetcrevice January 6, 2014 at 4:13 am

People need to give more credit to this movies soundtrack. The filmmakers took the daring step to mostly abandon the previous film’s and create a new one with less melody and more ambiance, which i found to be perfect for creating a sense of always lingering dread and mystery which fit this particular movie well as Freddy was no longer a monster out to kill, but a more existential threat, one that could reach you anywhere, at any time. i know Robert Englund disliked this movie because it strayed to far from the established rules of the franchise, but it made perfect sense this this film differs from all the others in that it’s an internal threat that Jessie is experiencing. He’s slowly being turned into something that he can’t control, which obviously is meant to be his homosexuality. The lack of a clearly defined set of rules which the film’s evil must abide by, gives the story a much more paranoid and unsafe feeling. For Jessie, it’s not about the fear of a monster killing him and his friends, but about the end of his world, and being forced to metamorph into an alien lifestyle. Reality itself is under siege as Freddy manipulates Jessie, stifles his sexuality, and even breaks free from the dream world into ours. It also showed Freddy in a much less comedic view than in part one. Krueger was revealed in even less light than the first film and in this one he definitely was portrayed as a sexual predator as well as a murderer. They made a strange risk taking the franchise into this direction, and it wasn’t warmly received but I always thought it had more dream like qualities and less slap stick than the first. It was also a much more personal film as Jessie is largely left to fend for himself, with only the aid of Lisa. His parents think he’s on drugs, his friends don’t believe him and his gym teacher just tries to flat out rape him. This movie was less about plot and structure and more about a decent into madness and hopelessness which somehow took aspects of our material world with it. Even the final battle with Freddy is won without a traditional triumph. There’s no revelation, no magic spell, no special weapon and no big explosion. Just a soul redeeming kiss followed by an open and confusing ending. It stands apart from all the other films in the franchise as it’s own stand alone film.

35. Joe Minicilli January 6, 2014 at 4:23 am
      36. Manuel Chavez January 6, 2014 at 4:34 am

This one is the underdog of the series.

37. Omar Pockets Diaz January 6, 2014 at 4:34 am

Nightmare 2 was not bad. Seriously, after the crap freddys dead was, why do people still complain about this. It’s seriously not so bad

38. Railey Garman January 6, 2014 at 5:07 am

I loved it

39. Matt Ayotte January 6, 2014 at 5:57 am

Anyone who says this is the worst Freddy sequel ever is clearly a dumbass and should probably never watch a Freddy movie again. It was the best sequel in the series made. And how does it not make sense? He needed to use jesses body to kill so people would remember him and fear him. He lives off fear, I mean wtf how is that not obviously stated. Plus that one had some of the best camera work and music. I can’t believe this is an actual debate. This Is as dumb as saying that Halloween 2 was the worst sequel. And if anyone thinks that, then you should never watch a horror movie again.

40. Osukaru San January 6, 2014 at 6:01 am

It was my very first NOES movie and some scenes was very scary for me as a kid. Now I own it on my selective BR collection (only the first 3)… (Even when I always hate the scene of the explodin’ birds!)

41. Matt Ayotte January 6, 2014 at 6:08 am

And who cares if the movie had “gayish” parts to it. Its a fucking 80’s movie first off and not every horror movie needs a bunch of dumb naked woman dying, shit gets old. Enjoy something that’s a little different, use your brains and pay attention. Its not all about Freddy’s one liners and the same story having to be followed. That’s why their sequels lol

42. Matt Ayotte January 6, 2014 at 6:11 am

PS. The only good horror sequel that ever out beat the original was silence of the lambs. Boom roasted.

43. Cam Riebe January 6, 2014 at 9:18 am

Pure (not so) subliminal homo erotica…

44. Stacy Gartner January 6, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Very dark. For sure. Creepy

45. Andrew Long January 6, 2014 at 3:15 pm

This movie sucked so bad it was a disgrace to the Elm St. Series.

46. Tiago January 6, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Mr. Ayotte, use your brain.
        That movie is blind stupid. Freddy comes to the “real” world in that movie, and that is really silly, it takes away every fear element of the character. I am all about dumb naked woman, and I think you don’t know what you re missing. LOL
        When a movie don’t follow the same storyline it is a spin off, not a sequel. Or a lousy sequel, like this movie. Soundtrack ok, I’ll give you that.

47. Matthew Klapmeyer January 6, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Love this movie,this sequel rocks! Most sequels don’t live up to its predecessor but this one does and more

48. Jessi Sweet January 6, 2014 at 5:28 pm

I love em all! ♥ freddy

49. Jessi Sweet January 6, 2014 at 5:30 pm

My fav tho if I have to pick was n will always be part 6 freddys dead final nightmare.. but we know thats a effin lie lol ;)

50. Vanessa Lunardi January 6, 2014 at 6:26 pm

adorroooo

51. David Nagle January 6, 2014 at 9:26 pm

loved freddy revenge its defo the darkest of the elm street movies but i wished they connected part 2 to part 3 , jesse would have fitted in well with the kids in the mental hostipal in part 3, did jesse and lisa die at the end of part2????? they were never mentioned again after this :(

52. Jojo Brown January 6, 2014 at 9:46 pm

the homoeroticism is hilarious

53. Mark Escobar Ryan January 6, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Hey nancy ….no running in the hall way …………lol

54. Rebecca Price January 6, 2014 at 11:47 pm

To all those who hated it, you have no place watching horror movies as you obviously do not get the point. As mentioned Freddy works on the fear of adolescent youth whether in the real world or the dreamosphere! Episode 2 is the most dark and disturbing on so many levels and having an older brother at the time it came out ( we were reflectively the same age as Jesse and his sister) my brother made a glove (out of cardboard) but the boy had skills and he would terrorise me with that thing ‘wake up little girl’ he would say waking me from my slumber, damn near gave me nightmares for months…I still love watching horror movies and still talk to my bro, and like many I love the Freddy character and hated the hash job remake a few years back but we must all remember Freddy is a child muderer and brothers can be scary aholes when they want to be, watch it again, those that hated it so much and revel at the masterpiece it truly is as there is a lot more terrible movies nowadays trying to pass themselves off as horror…that is all!

• Liz H. Alexander January 7, 2014 at 4:10 am

The first one was scary. The second one…not as much. And by the end of the whole series, it was more “dark comedy” than truly horrifying.

I didn’t grow up with my siblings, but I can see where that would be traumatizing.

55. Liz H. Alexander January 7, 2014 at 4:08 am

That movie was awesome, but it was gay as the day is long!

56. Tiago January 7, 2014 at 7:45 am

Rebecca Price, you are talking about the movie in a semiotic firstness level. I will admit that horror is a firstness level based genre, but we are all grown ups here, and should be talking about the movie in a thirdness level.