Fan Reaction to Nightmare on Elm Street Remake Sequel!

Herner Klenthur 91 Comments

Earlier in the day, Jason shared with you all the news that there will be no Nightmare on Elm Street sequel, but Platinum Dunes would really like to crank one out every couple of years. Brad Fuller is clearly a huge fan of the character, and in an interview with Crave, wrote:

You know what? I haven’t heard a thing. It’s a little bit disappointing. We were very proud of that movie. It was Rooney Mara’s first starring role. In terms of pure box office, I think that’s our highest grossing film worldwide.

I’d love to do another one but I feel that way about all of our films. We don’t jump into these films unless we actually loved the characters or the story. I’d love to make Freddy Krueger movies every couple years. It’d be fantastic.

Meanwhile, Rooney Mara has gone on to do The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and The Social Network, launching her to stardom. The Nightmare remake grossed serious coin, bringing in $115 million on a budget of $35 million, according to BoxOfficeMojo. I am actually a fan of Platinum Dunes movies but Nightmare was not one of their high points for me.

Nor have our readers been kind in their response to the idea of another Nightmare on Elm Street, making me think I can’t be the only one who did not like the last film. Levi writes:

…..what did they not learn from the NOES reboot? It sucked, and even Rooney Mara decided to suck on purpose. “It’s her first role.” Well, Johnny Depp had his first role in the original, no one seems to care about that. I’d rather see Rob Zombie do a Halloween 3 then see another NOES installment again.

Hellsing writes:

No,Brad Fuller….a new piece of s**t Nightmare On Elm Street every few years would not be a blast.

Elizabeth writes:

If I never see another Nightmare on Elm street it will be too soon.

Lastly, Phil writes:

Nightmare on Elm Street was already destroyed. Please, don’t kick a franchise when it’s down!!

One of the few voices brave enough to stand up and wave his banner in support of the film was Randy, who wrote:

…set it in Westin Hills and have Nancy and Quentin join up with a new version of Kristen, Kincaid and Joey. Come on Hollywood. Wake up.

What are your thoughts? Are you for or against a Nightmare on Elm Street sequel…to the remake?

Sexiest Horror Movie Victims Gallery: Best Walking Dead Zombie Kills! Best & Worst Horror Movies of 2012

1. Christopher Jensen January 13, 2014 at 10:58 pm

I liked the remake

• Horror-Movies.ca
          Horror-Movies.ca January 13, 2014 at 11:23 pm

good for you Christopher for speaking up amongst all us dissenters. I respect you for it

2. Lori Westfield January 13, 2014 at 10:59 pm

It’s one of the remakes I actually liked I would be ok with a sequel

• Horror-Movies.ca
          Horror-Movies.ca January 13, 2014 at 11:02 pm

good on you for showing your love for it. Takes bravery to stand against the cloud

• Horror-Movies.ca
          Horror-Movies.ca January 13, 2014 at 11:22 pm

CROWD.. lol not cloud :P

3. Angellit Messer January 13, 2014 at 11:00 pm

I liked it but hated the new Freddy!!!

4. Charlie Centeno January 13, 2014 at 11:00 pm

If they bring Robert Englund back yes.that remake was crap and that Freddy looked stupid

• Phil Greco
          Phil Greco January 14, 2014 at 5:58 pm

THANK YOU!!!

• Jonathan Hudon
          Jonathan Hudon January 14, 2014 at 11:37 pm

Jackey Earl Haley wasn’t the problem… the storytelling and the dialogue were very poor…

5. Donnie Paul Burris January 13, 2014 at 11:02 pm

Oh, you’ve got LOTS OF SEQUELS AHEAD!!!!!!!! Hahahahaha!!!!!!!!

6. Donald Occhipinti January 13, 2014 at 11:02 pm

Sure, I would like to see it happen. I liked the new freddy…just wish people were more open minded!!!

• Horror-Movies.ca
          Horror-Movies.ca January 13, 2014 at 11:23 pm

good on you Donald! Another one who likes it.

• Mark Harris
          Mark Harris January 14, 2014 at 5:25 am

Love Freddy. I don’t care if they make 100 more I’d watch them all.

7. William Thompson January 13, 2014 at 11:02 pm

We all hated the Remake, Now their wanting to do a sequel, Yeah, they want to piss Us off more.

8. Sandy von P January 13, 2014 at 11:08 pm

My reaction to a sequel to that infamous remake is NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO IT’S A SIN! IT’S A SIN – IT’S A SIN- IT’S A SIN- IT’S A SIN- IT’S A SIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!! and yea I stole it from A Clockwork Orange but its really how I feel.

9. Callum Harrison January 13, 2014 at 11:08 pm

Preferred the remake to any of the sequels! 2 – 6 were absolutely terrible! Don’t know why everyone raves about the 3rd one either, highly disappointing! 7 was not a bad film, give it pro’s for trying something knew which was entertaining to watch. The remake I kind of liked, it was dark, gritty, gory and I like Rooney Mara. I would watch a sequel or 2.

10. James Backman January 13, 2014 at 11:09 pm

It might be better doubt it

11. Lane Bultemeier January 13, 2014 at 11:09 pm

I couldn’t even finish watching the remake!.. f****** terrible.

• Horror-Movies.ca
          Horror-Movies.ca January 13, 2014 at 11:23 pm

same boat I tried 3 times

• Todd Everett
          Todd Everett January 14, 2014 at 6:00 pm

The NOES Reamake was Horrible!! Surely Their Not thinking of Doing Another One??!!

12. James Christopher Kennard January 13, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Remake was epic a sequal will be well recieved

13. Ruma AT C January 13, 2014 at 11:12 pm

No one can replace “Freddy” ..original is by far good then remake..

14. Jessica Bucklin January 13, 2014 at 11:13 pm

Screw that. They already messed it up enough!

15. Chris Martin January 13, 2014 at 11:15 pm

It wasn’t broke in the first place, why try to fix it? (Hated the remake.)

• Phil Greco
          Phil Greco January 14, 2014 at 5:59 pm

$$$$$$$$$

16. Keith Swiniarski January 13, 2014 at 11:16 pm

My only problem with the remake is that it didn’t make sense. He was a child molester, but he made a razor glove while alive and started murdering the kids after he died?

17. Ray King January 13, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Make Phantasm V, tired of the remakes!!!!

18. Dayna Not-Disclosing January 13, 2014 at 11:20 pm

If it doesn’t have Robert Englund and Wes Craven don’t bother. It’ll suck just like the first remake.

19. Brian Kirk January 13, 2014 at 11:26 pm

Please no

20. Glen January 13, 2014 at 11:26 pm

I take back every piece of energy I gave watching that remake….it was nothing…..it was shit!

21. Lori Westfield January 13, 2014 at 11:27 pm

I tolerated it more then I did Rob Zombies abomination

22. Michael Rose Quintanilla January 13, 2014 at 11:27 pm

I hated the remake, especially the pedophile angle.

23. Tiago January 13, 2014 at 11:31 pm

I actually don’t hate the remake. I have some issues with it, but I really like Freddy’s backstory the way it was told. It is not half as good as the worst in the original series, but I don’t hate it either. Even so, I wouldn’t like to see a sequel to the remake, or the start of a whole new series.

24. Mary Edwards January 13, 2014 at 11:33 pm

have Rob zombie remake the movie he did a good job with our beloved Michael Myers. Halloween movies…

25. Sarah Jane Porter January 13, 2014 at 11:40 pm

Can’t stand remakes

26. Christopher Jensen January 13, 2014 at 11:45 pm

I loved the remake of Halloween1&2, higher body count!

27. Joey Neal January 13, 2014 at 11:47 pm

It’s just not the same….the remake was trash

28. Kevin Hussey January 13, 2014 at 11:49 pm

I wont mind mind as long as its better than the original part 2 remember Freddy’s Revenge? Sucked….

29. Kevin Hussey January 13, 2014 at 11:52 pm

And btw…. Robert englund is like 65 he was the original awesome but he’s too old

30. CrystalGecko SkyFire January 13, 2014 at 11:57 pm

Again?

31. Matthew godden January 13, 2014 at 11:58 pm

I too am a fan of the originals .. But the remake wasn’t all that bad to be honest .. Jackie Earle Haley played him to a tee and for anyone who has seen watchmen you know his work is damn good. So many ways a sequel can go but Hollywood won’t disappoint not on this 80s classic.

32. Andrew Pritchett January 14, 2014 at 12:00 am

Robert is never to old. He walks around with his nightmare glove all the time. He is Krueger

33. Scott Edwards January 14, 2014 at 12:01 am

The first original nightmare movie was a classic but I think they destroyed Freddy with one too many one liners….. The remake had a new twist I liked because it gave Freddy a connection with the elm st, kids…. And the end of the new one left it open for a sequal

34. Donnie Kline January 14, 2014 at 12:22 am

I like Robert England he was one of my favorite actors of horror or sci fi
        I like him as Willie on NBC’s V as the vegetarian alien
        Besides playing Freddy he was also great in 1000 maniacs I would loved it
        If it was Freddy vs Pinnhead from hell easier battle of real hell Jason vs Michael Myers how about this one ash vs leather face

But the one movie I am waiting for is marvel
        Marvel zombies

35. Kyle Grant January 14, 2014 at 12:33 am

I thought the reboot was a great way to reintroduce Freddy to a new generation. He wasn’t the clown they bastardized the original franchise with, which most likely pissed Craven off to the max anyway. Despite name changes and story changes to the original, it held its own. I’d love to see a new Nightmare. Any time, anywhere…

36. Efren Villa January 14, 2014 at 12:34 am

Please do another.

37. Ron Sales January 14, 2014 at 1:13 am

Hope its better than the first remake of the original.

38. Ron Sales January 14, 2014 at 1:13 am

The FX were kind of crappy

39. Tyler Johnson January 14, 2014 at 1:32 am

I thought the remake was pretty ok….Loved the actors besides Rooney Mara (Nancy) but hated the molester Freddy and he looked Asian….weird….but good too see him return to being sadistic and evil. If only Robery Englund was Freddy I’d love for them to reboot the series….I mean the story got pretty shitty after Part 3 imo

40. Carin Call January 14, 2014 at 2:14 am

i hope they have Robert Englund not the one they used in the last remake i didnt like him as Freddie

41. Mike New January 14, 2014 at 2:17 am

I loved Jackie Earl Haley’s Freddy Krueger. I just want to see a sequel just becuase of his character. He did an awesome job. He isn’t no Robert Englund though.

42. Eddie Thompson January 14, 2014 at 2:35 am

If the producers had cast Robert Englund to play Freddy Kreuger I would bet money there would still be a barrow full of backlashing, bitching, bellyaching and bullshit for not being inventive enough or no originalty. The whole idea of a reboot of a franchise is to bring a new audience into play that may not know the background or story behind the films characters…and make some money.

43. Dan Stanley January 14, 2014 at 3:21 am

Hell no the new Freddy movie sucked. I thought I was watching a soap Oprah. With Micheal Jackson in it

44. Pollo Coltrane January 14, 2014 at 3:26 am

Oh fuck no! If its not Robert englund, no thank you

45. Shelly Doss January 14, 2014 at 3:35 am

I have mixed feelings on it. Filling Robert Englund’s shoes is, well… impossible. I’ll give Haley a big thumbs up for being creepy. He’s got that. But, did the height thing bother anyone else? I mean, I’m not particularly afraid of mini-Freddy… seriously. That’s not Haley’s fault. But the director and the cinematographer should have filmed things differently. There are scenes where he is so obviously shorter than the person he’s supposed to be intimidating that it is more of a joke than the cheesy one-liners. I think the reboot sorta sucked but was sorta ok. It certainly doesn’t warrant a second movie being made, that’s for damn sure…

46. Gregg Nelson January 14, 2014 at 4:58 am

Loved the remake it was more scare & less stupid one liners. Only good instalments with Robert England were numbers 1 & 3. Please keep it going.

47. Jason Swafford January 14, 2014 at 5:10 am

you motherfuckers shitting on the remake can eat a fat dick.

48. Jason Swafford January 14, 2014 at 5:12 am

i guess i’m not the right kind of Elm Street fan because i love EVERY film in the series, remake included, and even the TV show…I like some better than others, but i love THEM ALL!

• Phil Greco
          Phil Greco January 14, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Loved the TV show, shame it didn’t last very long.

49. Matt January 14, 2014 at 5:27 am

I think people who grew up with the Nightmare on Elm. Street franchise are used to the Robert Englund’s style of Freddy, killer with a comedic side. The remake was decent, it was more brutal leaving out the comedic relief after each kill. However despite my sentiment that the remake wasn’t terrible there doesn’t need to be another addition to the franchise, The Friday the 13th remake was good, Nightmare on Elm St. was decent, Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake and prequel were very good imo however don’t overdo the classic titles, in some cases you’ll ruin the prestige and nostalgia like Black Christmas for example.

50. Randall January 14, 2014 at 6:25 am

Ok I do like the remake , it seem more real world set , the kids seem more like kids that age , it seemed to have a much darker tone even the idea of Freddy was great but Freddy himself was a flop fix that or should I say him then you just might have a great reboot sequel .

51. D.j. Clement January 14, 2014 at 6:26 am

i didn’t mind Jackie Earl as Freddy, i thought he did a commendable job…. the story, characters and actors were all garbage – but it’s Platinum Dunes, so what do you expect.. they put style WAY AHEAD of substance… there is a big difference when you have a film written by Wes Craven or Frank Darabont than Wesley Strick and Eric Heisserer….. my advice for a sequel, get people who understand the Nightmare films to write and direct it – not ones who throw cheap jumps scares at the screen every 5 minutes.

• Phil Greco
          Phil Greco January 14, 2014 at 6:02 pm

If only Hollywood thought that way. They’ll throw out any piece of shit as long as they can profit from it.

• D.j. Clement January 14, 2014 at 6:05 pm

i would rather a movie fail at trying to do something different and new with a remake, then fail at making a half-assed attempted of what already came before.. which is why i cannot excuse the Friday the 13th and Nightmare On Elm St remakes for being the lazy contrived pieces of shit they are – neither warrant sequels – but if they insist on doing so, get serious filmmakers, and not music video puppets..

52. pizzainacup January 14, 2014 at 6:30 am

Please, no… Please, please, please… No. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee? No!

53. Diane Weber January 14, 2014 at 8:02 am

Freddy….freddy…freddy….

54. Andrew Fay January 14, 2014 at 8:39 am

I thought jackie earle hayley did an amazing job as freddy. of course there won’t be another robert englund but if they can actually make the movie right jackie will do just fine.its the movie itself that sucked. hell it was the fans idea to make jackie the new freddy. englund is pushing 70

55. Christian Legorreta January 14, 2014 at 8:42 am

Please dont they already fuck up a classic movie with a shitty remake stop the carnage

56. Vincent Brancatisano January 14, 2014 at 9:00 am

Why? Why do this to a classic? They tried re-imagining this a few years ago and it was HOPELESS. Just give it a rest and try developing some new ideas Hollywood.

57. JD January 14, 2014 at 9:08 am

Problem with today’s Freddy and Jason is that not enough gore and smart story line.

58. Peter Michael Carr January 14, 2014 at 9:24 am

I didn’t mind it, but now they have the origin out the way they need a lot more original deaths. It was too predictable, and i think that is what let people down. That, and the wall CGI :(

59. Terry Dayof Ruin January 14, 2014 at 9:56 am

Why the remakes? Are original ideas so bad that they have to recycle used up ideas? Some remakes are ok if the original was a good idea but poorly executed.

60. Patrick Lubben January 14, 2014 at 11:23 am

I want a new ANOES ONLY if the story is taking a new direction and ofcourse it has to be a great story

61. Timothy Camilleri January 14, 2014 at 11:34 am

F that shit

62. Ashley January 14, 2014 at 11:47 am

Um I hate to be the one to say this and I do not . If its been said, but Tommy Jarvis is from a Friday the 13th sequel not Nightmare.

63. Ashley Marie Doss January 14, 2014 at 11:55 am

Did anyone else notice how the guy said to bring back Tommy Jarvis? He is not even in Nightmare on Elm Street. He is from Friday the 13th.

64. Patrick Blackburn January 14, 2014 at 1:27 pm

We need to keep these reboots going cause I don’t want to see another reboot of both 20-25 years down the road I already deal with 3 or 4 versions of Titanic and I just want more sequels plus they ended FvsJ for a sequel and it was perfect the way the comics did it so it can be put onto screen

65. Jeff January 14, 2014 at 1:32 pm

I am with a small few when I say this, but I didn’t mind the remake. I thought Jackie Earle Haley did a good job of filling Freddy’s shoes…he is no Robert Englund, but let’s face it…who really could be? I for one am looking forward to a sequel to see what ideas are pushed forward. As long as they don’t try to emulate the originals, they may have potential.

66. sevenunearth January 14, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Watching all the freddy’s movie right now and I don’t know what to think, it’s good but it’s bad. The biggest dispointment in the remake for me was the fact that Freddy was too serious but when I saw the remake, I haven’t seen the original, only the 4 and up so I understand they made it this way. But it’s boring. You are a dream master you can do whatever you want and people are still abla to kill you while they sleep…what else to say. Start a new Franchise. The slasher genre isn’t scary anymore.

67. Brittany Wilson January 14, 2014 at 9:47 pm

The remake was awful! I was disappointed.

68. Jonathan Hudon January 14, 2014 at 11:36 pm

I’d rather Watch ‘The Thing’ prequel 10 times than watching a new Nightmare on Elm Street from that same guy….

69. Allen County Slasher January 15, 2014 at 2:23 am

If You Follow The Story He Was A Molester And Killer Of Children The Storyine Was Good but Since Robert Wasnt In It And The Make Up Sucked Is What Fans Hated Most

70. OWK January 15, 2014 at 3:48 am

Honestly, i didn’t mind the remake because I’m that much of a freddy fan, but it could’ve been better. Instead of a reboot, I think they should start all over. Dont give it something to compare to because that’s where remakes mess up sometimes. I think they should just do a proper reboot(like spider-man), instead of a sequel. If that reboot does better, than do a sequel or two. I really don’t want the character to just fade away from the screen

71. James McDonald January 16, 2014 at 3:02 am

I didn’t like the new Nightmare On Elm Street either. Jackie Earle Hayley did not do it for me. The make-up effects was horrible. It looked like a paper sack was on him. Jackie did not have the right shape of face and cheekbones for the role. I know that sounds discriminating, I don’t mean it too, but “Freddy” has to have that certain look. If they wanted to try another Nightmare on Elm Street, I’m all for it. Please don’t do shaky-cam or “found footage.

72. noone January 17, 2014 at 12:52 am

While this remake had its share of storyline issues for me I liked Jackie Earl Hale and liked that they did away with the hokie mystical crap and instead replaced it with the ingenious fact that he terrified these kids so much that they stay awake and eventually pass out and can no longer wake up due to exhaustion. A sequel might be good I’d give it a shot anyway

73. Thirtypk January 17, 2014 at 1:28 am

The story line of Freddy n the remake was good..he was a chikd molester.. as long as he’s ruthless & no comedy n the movie it’ll b ok..I really enjoyed seeing Robert when he was mean & ruthless NMOES 1, 3, & New Nightmare

74. Reanna January 17, 2014 at 3:33 am

I’d really like to see them keep going. I wasn’t a fan of the new Freddy but I still enjoyed the movie

75. Malik January 25, 2014 at 5:11 am

The only thing wrong with the movie was the freddy makeup. The story line was awesome. A part two with paying homage to elm streets previous would only make this bang.

76. Matthew February 3, 2014 at 7:07 pm

I am a huge fan of the original NOES series and I think the remake was good. The only issue I had with it was the Freddy makeup and some of the dialog. I think the actor who played Freddy did the role justice. Will he ever be as good a Robert? No, but that I think would be impossible as Robert IS Freddy. With that being said I would love to see them make another sequel. I like the dark and gritty style of the new series.

77. Eric Blair March 27, 2014 at 6:04 am

I doubt at this late stage anyone will read this but here goes… A nightmare on elm street is my favorite movie series. It’s my favorite because it was creative and original ( NOES 2 being an exception-horrible movie save the opening and ending scenes). The many ways that Freddy slaughtered the masses was enticing to me, all different and some (overly, maybe) extravagant kills made them fun! Robert Englund’s portrayal of the “bastard son of a hundred maniacs” was great, scary and funny, the best kind of horror, it raises concerns about your mortality but relieves you to know that it’s just a movie.

That being said I can’t give Jackie too much grief (of course I’d prefer Englund) for his portrayal, he didn’t write it, and Englund himself practically passed on the legacy. The writing and direction were terrible relying on hollow jump-scares and loud noises instead of solid action scares. The thing that bothered me the most was the lack, willful belligerence, to use creativity in the deaths. If you want “step from behind and kill” put any ’80′s Friday the 13th on (yes I love them too but kinda predictable). I mean the death scene in the 1984 original where Johnny Depp’s character dies doesn’t show a dream world really but the death is awesome blood all over the ceiling! Or even the puppet death in Dream Warriors is better than any death in the remake.

For fans of the remake, I don’t mean to stir the pot, if you like it fine with me, not my cup of jack. but it’s too tame and devoid of anything interesting, Admit it, after seeing countless dreamworlds you know they could’ve done anything or gone anywhere with this character and the weak writing let it fail. They have a character that transcends all limits and they kept him in a lame little box.

To haters of the remake, even so that they forbid a sequel I say: hold on. They can do some good here. With the right writers, writers willing to step out of the confines of only one girl, or even one Elm Street, writers willing to break the “rules” of the character, we could see Jackie thrive and see a real badass Freddy! Damn I wish I could write it! He can be gritty and eschew the one-liners, Haley should be allowed to make the character his own and not try and be a poor man’s Robert Englund. All they have to do is DREAM, and then twist it into another gruesome teenage death sequence. Seriously, let me do it!

78. MJ April 23, 2014 at 4:23 am

In my opinion the only way another remake would work after the disaster they created in 2010 is if they forget it ever happened and start all over from scratch. There was nothing in the 2010 remake that was memorable so nothing about it would be missed. The writing was completely abysmal, the directing was amateur at best, and the makeup effects were laughable. They need to do it over again, and do it right. Replace the writers, replace the director, replace the effects team, and most of all replace Jackie Earl Haley. I know a lot of people will disagree with that statement, but in my opinion his portrayal of Freddy was absolutely atrocious. There was nothing about it that was right. Of course it’s not fair to blame the poor performance all on him. I’m sure he did the best he could with the writing and direction he had to work with…However, I have just never felt he was the best actor for the role. I feel if they were going to replace Robert Englund there is someone better for the job than Haley. Who that person is remains to be seen, but after Haley’s performance in the remake, I can safely say in my opinion it isn’t him.