Rob Zombie is Returning to the Horror Genre

Jason McDonald 78 Comments

Not too long ago it seemed as if Rob Zombie was going to take a break from the horror genre to work on a passion project about hockey players called “Broad Street Bullies.” But, according to an interview with a New Zealand network, it looks like those plans have changed.

In the interview, Rob Zombie revealed that the idea came to him after working on the “Broad Street Bullies” for two years.  “I’d been working on this hockey film for over two years, it took so much research and work, and I was literally sitting with someone going, ‘You know, I have this other idea…”

It’s no secret that Rob Zombie’s films have been pretty divisive, inspiring either extreme love or hate.  However, the one film that generally seems to be widely enjoyed is “The Devil’s Rejects” and Zombie says that his next film will be inline with that movie.  “I think it’s something fans of the other stuff will like. Probably fans of The Devil’s Rejects will enjoy the most. It’s not connected to that film but it’s more on that headspace”

Based on the interview, it sounds like the director has already pitched and sold the film to a studio so it shouldn’t be long before we start getting official announcements about what this project will entail.  Be sure to read the rest of the interview to learn why “The House of a 1000 Corpses” is Rob Zombie’s least favorite film and how he views criticism.  It’s an interesting read that shows just how aware he is of his public perception.

Rob Zombie is Returning to the Horror Genre

20 Best Horror Films of 2011 Best & Worst Horror Movies of 2012 Sexiest Horror Movie Victims

1. Justin Haaksma February 20, 2014 at 11:18 pm

I’m confused, did he ever leave the horror genre?

• Jason McDonald
          Jason McDonald February 20, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Its the first line. He was going to work on a passion film about hockey, but he’s put that on the backburner to come back with a new horror film.

2. Calum Sanderson February 20, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Well that was quick

3. Amber Clouse February 20, 2014 at 11:20 pm

I hope what ever it is, is better than Lord’s of Salem.

4. Rob Biebrich February 20, 2014 at 11:21 pm

More like the horrible genre.

5. Michael Stephen February 20, 2014 at 11:21 pm

not a fan of RZs stinkers

6. Ginger LovesHalloween Frydrych February 20, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Erick Frydrych

7. James Christopher Kennard February 20, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Loved 1000 corpse and devils rejects , lords of salem didnt really like, and im prob one of the few who loved rzs halloween movies

8. Vicky 'Screamin Cider' Bailey February 20, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Maybe he’s getting back to doin what he does best Justin :)

9. Adilson Aparecido February 20, 2014 at 11:24 pm

the best filme

10. Marcus Osuch February 20, 2014 at 11:26 pm

Cool that um he’s back thought he was still in but broad street bully’s awesome if it’s done & fuck all y’all I like his movies you try doing it ya thumb tapping lazy ass complaining no talent haters

11. Bryan Konseck February 20, 2014 at 11:28 pm

I wish he would do a good zombie movie, something less vulgar and offensive and difficult to watch

12. Michael Anderson February 20, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Rob zombie’s movies suck zombie cock. I would say he should stick to music, but his songs suck too.

13. Craig Williamson February 20, 2014 at 11:29 pm

Can’t wait

14. Marcus Osuch February 20, 2014 at 11:31 pm

That’s all we need zombie movies boring

15. Monique Jacole Eville February 20, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Daniel Eville

16. Mike Gomez February 20, 2014 at 11:33 pm

The devils rejects is one of my favorite movies ever which is funny cause I hated house of a 1000 corpses. And I think his Halloween movies are way better than the originals but I know I’m a minority on that one. Lords of Salem sucked ass so I’m happy to hear that he’s returning to his best movie, in my opinion, for what his next one will be like. I look forward to this.

17. Joshorror Verduzco February 20, 2014 at 11:33 pm

Lol After He left the horror genre. Calm down Jay Z!

18. Joshorror Verduzco February 20, 2014 at 11:34 pm

Rob Zombie’s Halloween is good. But if you’re saying it’s better than the originals you’re an idiot

• Jeff Hanna
          Jeff Hanna February 21, 2014 at 12:56 am

I wouldn’t say better but a different film all together I prefer rob zombies version because I like the violence.

19. Scott Grooms February 20, 2014 at 11:41 pm

i think his movies are all pretty good.. not the best an certainly not the worse.

20. Richard Powell February 20, 2014 at 11:44 pm

More crap then!

21. Joe Esparza February 20, 2014 at 11:44 pm

I cant wait

22. Mike Gomez February 20, 2014 at 11:46 pm

And you’re a faggot, so to each their own. The originals are watered down versions of what a slasher movie should be like. Carpenter is overhyped and overrated. Sure some will say the same about Zombie and that’s okay. You’re opinion matters to me about as much as the dog shit I walked past at the park yesterday.

23. Michael Woodson February 20, 2014 at 11:49 pm

As a fan of the original Halloween movies, his first remake was better than the original but the original Halloween 2 was the scariest shit ever

24. Johnny Miller February 20, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Oh shit that’s just great. Guess his wife is needing some spending cash so he decides to make another film so she can be in it. His movies are garbage.

25. Andrew Altered RC February 20, 2014 at 11:53 pm

wow, all these ppl whining about what kind(s) of movies he makes. short list of things to consider here: 1. where the hell are your movies? 2. you should go buy a Prius, to match your vagina. don’t knock the man for doing things the way he does.

26. John Kelly Pevahouse February 20, 2014 at 11:54 pm

good!!

27. Kirwan Smyth February 21, 2014 at 12:01 am

Oh great! Another two hour White Zombie video! He totally destroyed the Halloween franchise! Why doesn’t he go back and do what he’s talented at doing, music!

28. Bob Howard February 21, 2014 at 12:03 am

wow that was fast guess he realized that his music career sucks nuts

29. Sean Hawps February 21, 2014 at 12:13 am

rob zombie should stay in music and outta movies. hope he doesnt butcher another classic.go home rob.

30. Chad Hammons February 21, 2014 at 12:19 am

Rob Zombie is the best director /writer ever…………….compared to Uwe Boll

31. Scott Moore February 21, 2014 at 12:21 am

Rob Zombie movies are good?

32. Ralph Newyoricodorian Badillo February 21, 2014 at 12:23 am

Halloween remakes were crap.

33. ANTHONY CASHMERE February 21, 2014 at 12:28 am

I have enjoyed all of Rob Zombie’s horror films, including the remakes of Halloween and House of a Thousand Corpses.
        I appreciate Mr. Zombies work in the horror genre, and his efforts to entertain the horror public. His horror films are all of a different vein, and that is what I like about them. I enjoyed the Lords of Salem, and you have to have a particular acquired taste for h orror to have understood and enjoyed that film and it’s plot devices. For me., RZ is a avant garde horror master who refuses to serve the horror public with the same old tired “horror slop” that most American film studios are serving up to the American horror crowd in theatres in today’s modern horror culture.

Anthony Cashmere – The Horrorconniseur

34. Chris Auble February 21, 2014 at 12:29 am

Hope it’s better than lords of Salem

35. Jeff Deitrich February 21, 2014 at 12:30 am

Rob Zombie’s Halloween is better than the original? Mike Gomez… You have a lot of balls calling people names because they don’t share your bullshit opinion. Lay off the bath salts or whatever you’re on that makes Rob Zombie’s movies seem like anything but the hack job crap they are.

36. Jennifer Berndt February 21, 2014 at 12:36 am

Damn it, after his first comment I was all “Team Mike Gomez” and then he had to go and call someone a faggot. Soooo disappointing.

37. Ben Phelps February 21, 2014 at 12:36 am

As long as it’s something original and he doesn’t go back to remakes

38. Kevin W.Owens February 21, 2014 at 12:59 am

Nooooo!!!!!!

39. Shawn Payer February 21, 2014 at 1:07 am

YAY!!!!!!!!!!

40. Nick Clark February 21, 2014 at 1:12 am

What a surprise

41. Shannon Clancy February 21, 2014 at 1:19 am

Please be better than Lords of Salem…a.k.a. one of the WORST movies ever made.

42. Andy Olearczyk February 21, 2014 at 1:19 am

CANT WAIT tho ! m/

43. Tiago February 21, 2014 at 1:36 am

I strongly disagree with what he said about House of 1,000 corpses. I watched that movie when it came out in VHS and I liked it back then. Watching it on blu ray, I really do think it is a masterpiece. That movie is disturbing in so many levels. The guy has got the Cobain complex, like pretend that he hates what he’s fans like.

44. Synthetik Mark February 21, 2014 at 1:46 am

What is he going to butcher this time.

45. Marc Thibodeau February 21, 2014 at 1:52 am

Fans of the devils rejects? good lord!

46. Matt Alexander February 21, 2014 at 2:00 am

Hope it’s better than that fucking witch trainwreck! Loved the Rejects!

47. Sean O'Donnell February 21, 2014 at 2:02 am

Too bad I don’t enjoy Rob Zombie or his films.

48. Levi Everaerts February 21, 2014 at 2:10 am

Jeff Deitrich – You’re insulting him for not liking Halloween and called him out on his mistake of insulting people for not liking Halloween? You’re a fucking hypocrite. Also, I liked Halloween and hate the original, so there. If you disagree, I totally understand, accept and respect that. Just don’t be a dickhead about it…or worse, a hypocrite.

49. Adam Thornton February 21, 2014 at 2:28 am

I think we were all hoping he would “not ” be returning

50. Phillip Baker February 21, 2014 at 2:35 am

Well the last one seemed like a horror, but it sucked ass

• Derek Smith February 21, 2014 at 2:53 am

Yes this is good news..i Love his horror films..i’m glad he came back 2 horror :-)

51. John Freund Söderlund February 21, 2014 at 3:18 am

52. Tom Tfs Best February 21, 2014 at 3:28 am

Dudes saying that because Devils rejects is the only somewhat decent film he made… I feel like everything Rob zombie did after the year 1998 has been god-awful…. I also find it funny that the young kids here prefer Rob zombie’s Halloween to the original, no surprise there your generation sucks

53. Martha Collins February 21, 2014 at 3:31 am

funny, I just watched The Devil’s Rejects last night for the millionth time. LOVE IT

54. Azlan Glasstiger February 21, 2014 at 3:37 am

55. Jason Brimm February 21, 2014 at 3:44 am

All his movies are good, glad to hear

56. Rhonda Reynolds February 21, 2014 at 3:49 am

I LIKE THE DEVILS REJECTS! The lords of salem and house of 1000 corpses sucked. The halloween movies rocked so im glad to see him do more films. Love his music too hes freaking awesome!

57. Brad Havens February 21, 2014 at 4:56 am

His last effort was shit. Lords of shit

58. Marcel DeLancy February 21, 2014 at 5:12 am

Aweww dam!

59. Marcel DeLancy February 21, 2014 at 5:14 am

Man yall have no idea what the fuck your talking about Devils rejects is hilarious and sid haig alone steals the scenes as captin spaulding. Tooti fucking fruity! There are so many quotes in it. I can’t even begin to start

60. Roberto-Juan Gonzalez February 21, 2014 at 6:17 am

Rob Zombie is full of shit! Terrible director, confusing gross out gore with horror and suspense…

61. dt February 21, 2014 at 6:27 am

Hope Broad Street Bullies is still a go….

62. George Gill February 21, 2014 at 7:21 am

It seems like only women like Rob Zombie’s music and films.

63. Jordan Rodgers February 21, 2014 at 7:26 am

*SPOILER ALERT* Starring sheri moon zombie

64. Jordan Rodgers February 21, 2014 at 7:27 am

Hated lords of salem it was just way too much

65. Matt Kunka February 21, 2014 at 8:01 am

I’m one of few people who absolutely loves 100% of everything Zombie’s done from Pee Wee to Superbeasto. Super happy about this!

66. Tom Timmer February 21, 2014 at 8:18 am

I have always been a huge zombie fan, but Lords of Salem sucked and his newest album Rat regenerator also sucked.. The Halloween films didn’t need to be remade.. I have also heard that Rob didn’t even get Carpenters blessing for the remakes.. He just called him and told him he was remaking em.. Wow what a dick… Carpenter should of told him “Don’t touch the Damn things”..

67. Tom Timmer February 21, 2014 at 8:20 am

Otherwise if he is going to continue making horror, I just hope it’s original.

68. Phil Greco February 21, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Lords of Salem was absolute dog shit. Stick to music, Rob!!

69. Leanne Fanson February 21, 2014 at 12:55 pm

I see his little tantrum didn’t last long. I find him hit and miss but I love tdr so I’m all for this!

70. Jeff Mealey February 21, 2014 at 2:04 pm

His movies aren’t really that great at all. Seen em all aside from “The Lords of Salem” and judging from posts & comments I’ve seen, I might pass. I liked his Halloween remakes, but that’s all they were. Any fool could have stepped on John Carpenter’s toes and sold themselves to Hollywood.
        If he comes up with something original that would be a plus. Not holding my breath, but I’d rather see him making a film before half the other “directors” in Hollyweird.

• Jeff Mealey February 21, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Like many directors they cast the same groups of people in their films just as he does. I think it works sometimes.

71. Brandon February 21, 2014 at 3:26 pm

I am one of the few that enjoyed lords of salem.. It was very atmospheric, kind of a throwback back to the late 60s early 70s horror films..

72. Dennis Francis February 21, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Stay away from film and stick to your music.

73. changeling69 February 21, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Good to hear :):)!!!

74. Sandy February 24, 2014 at 1:52 pm

He should stick to music. I am NOT A FAN of his movies. I hated what he did with Halloween. There is nothing scary about his movies.