It’s that time of the year again where we have to start talking about the biggest event in pop culture: San Diego Comic Con. We’re just ten days away from the start of the most hellacious nerd event of the year and there are plenty of events being announced.
Among the various things to see and do at this years Comic Con, the one that stood out most to me was the announcement that animation studio LAIKA was holding a special showcase for their films called “The LAIKA Experience” in the Gaslamp District. The special exhibit will be open from Friday July 14th till Sunday July 23rd. So if you want to see something before the masses descend on San Diego, this would be perfect for you. Here’s how the exhibit is being described.
The LAIKA Experience, the innovative and interactive pop-up event, will be located at 520 Fifth Avenue and will feature an up-close look at the artistic detail and imagination behind LAIKA’s groundbreaking films, all of which have been nominated for Academy Awards® and numerous other honors. The exhibit will showcase the evolution of the studio’s unique blend of handcrafted stop-motion animation and visual effects magic in four imaginatively themed rooms inspired by each of LAIKA’s films. The extensive display of original sets, puppets and props will immerse guests in LAIKA’s fantastical worlds.
The four films being represented at the exhibit will be “Coraline”, “ParaNorman”, “Boxtrolls”, “Kubo and the Two Strings.” And not only will these films be represented by props and displays from their respective films, but they will also be represented in shoe form. LAIKA has previously teamed up with Nike to create shoes based off of their films and they will be on display during the exhibit. Not only that, but fans will be able to enter a contest to win the shoes as well. Here’s a look at these fabulous creations.
“Kubo and the Two Strings”
I think the “ParaNorman” visually fit the movie, but they just aren’t doing it for me. Which is a bummer, but the “Coraline” ones still look pretty sweet.
So if you’re thinking about going down to San Diego to check out the exhibit here’s their full schedule and list of special events.
- Friday, July 14: 2 PM to 10PM
- Saturday, July 15: 11AM to 10 PM
- Sunday, July 16: 11:00 AM to 7:00 PM
- Monday –Tuesday, July 17-18: 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM
- Wednesday, July 19: 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM
- Thursday, July 20: 11:00 AM to 11 PM
- Friday, July 21: 11:00 AM to 11:00 PM
- Saturday, July 22: 11:00 AM to 11:00 PM
- Sunday, July 23: 10:00 AM-6:00 PM
Sunday, July 16:
- Watch forLAIKA walkaround costumed characters at the LAIKA Photo Booth inside the gates of Balboa Park during the PRIDE Festival. Pose for a photo with ParaNorman’s “Mitch Babcock,” the first gay character ever featured in an animated film. Customized LAIKA headbands will be distributed.
- LAIKA will host 25 BAFTA LA students at the Giants/Padres game in Petco Park on Sunday, July 15.
Friday, July 21
- 2-3pm: LAIKA President & CEO Travis Knight (director of Kubo and the Two Strings) will be joined by New York Times bestselling author Tony DiTerlizzi (The Spiderwick Chronicles; Star Wars: Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight) for a Facebook Live tour of The LAIKA Experience. Travis will share LAIKA’s unique creative process with Tony as they take FB guests on a virtual tour of the pop up exhibit.
- 3-4:30pm: Travis Knight autograph session. (For merchandise purchased at The LAIKA Experience.)
Stay tuned for more Comic Con coverage