Topic: Suspiria

This movie makes death inviting, the occult real, and me wish that I had seen more good foreign horror films. Suspiria is really something special. I would call it a hypnotizing hallucinatory nightmare. Boy did Suzy (played by Jessica Harper) pick the wrong school to attend.

Suzy, a ballet dancer, joins a school for this art, but finds more than she was asking for. Everyone is accommodating, forcefully so, and despite her strong will she finds herself manipulated into their scheme. For example, she wishes to live off campus, but grows sick at the sight of a palpitating crystal, and finds all her things moved to campus. Everyone is friendly, but a bit off. Meanwhile, murdered people keep turning up.

The set design and rainbow lighting are the key factors in the films uniqueness. It is rare that one finds such visually stunning murders. The set gives a cheery but gothic retro feel to the otherwise standard plot. And though I would never listen to the score apart from the movie, it enhances the scenes.

At one point, I was so creeped out that I had to pause the movie and find out what was making noise behind me (bugs outside and a noisy computer). I'm a sucker, but I'm glad I watched this movie late at night on my own in a dingy musty apartment.
Though the ending could be much better, the movie remains strong for the images evoke a feeling that cannot be discarded. Suspiria makes one believe in the occult, or at least enjoy it a little more.

Re: Suspiria

Great movie, Argento really had something going with his earlier films. A visual appeal that, like you said, almost makes death attractive. If you haven't already, check out his Giallos: Tenebrae and Deep Red, not occultic horror but great lighting, camera work, set scheme and beautiful bloody murder.

I watched it in my basement and I kept turning around too. 

it's not a creepy basement in any sense of the word, but still...

Welcome to the site and always glad to have another Argento/Suspiria fan, one of my favorite horror filmmakers.

Suspiria is my fave film by the italian master of horror Dario Argento. This film is also in my top 10 of all time fave horror films. I have the 3 disc Limited Edition dvd set of it and it's awesome. Great film, good characters, good kills, good gore, great music by Goblin, etc......a must own for your horror movie collection.:cool:;)

One of my fav-0-rite films of All Time. The lighting in that film is to die for. srsly

yea it a classic film and welcome to the site. You might want to look around the forum abit first though because there are already a few thread about the film tongue

skfan wrote:

yea it a classic film and welcome to the site. You might want to look around the forum abit first though because there are already a few thread about the film tongue

Thats how popular this movie is. Have u seen any of its sequels yet Lord Ruthven?

severen wrote:
skfan wrote:

Thats how popular this movie is. Have u seen any of its sequels yet Lord Ruthven?

well "Inferno" wasn't exactly a sequel and I thought it was a bit of a disappointment. As for "Mother of Tears" I got a copy now but I still haven't gotten around to checking it out tongue

Same here. I'm not sure if it's in all its uncut glory, or if I've got an edited version. Either way, the official DVD release had better be chock full of the red stuff that we've all seen in the pictures.

TheFecalKid wrote:

Same here. I'm not sure if it's in all its uncut glory, or if I've got an edited version. Either way, the official DVD release had better be chock full of the red stuff that we've all seen in the pictures.

well when I say I have a copy I mean a "not so legal digital copy tongue " and from what I can tell the copy that the great aXXo has released is the north american theatrical cut thats been shown at conventions and what not hmm

When I say copy, I mean "I got it from torrents" as well. And of course, I got it from aXXo. That man works wonders

Suspiria is hands-down one of the greatest horror films of all-time, of course. I saw the segment on the film on Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments several times before, and I agreed with one of the critics when he said that when you're watching Suspiria, it looks like you're viewing a Walt Disney horror film, because the redness of the cinematography is so in your face that it becomes another character in the movie. I'm ashamed of myself for not owning Suspiria on DVD.

TheFecalKid wrote:

When I say copy, I mean "I got it from torrents" as well. And of course, I got it from aXXo. That man works wonders

yea aXXo is a god tongue I keep gettin fukin copy right infringement letters from his trackers though lol

Suspiria is definitely one of of my top ten fave flicks. Dario Argento is a primary inspiration on me wanting to be a filmmaker. Make sure to watch "Opera"...by far and away one of the most amazing "birds-eye view" scenes ( no pun intended). Lotsa gore too!

Opera was good...right up until the horrible rock music they played during the death scenes. I think it was a really awful 80's band too like, Electric Coffin or some cheesy name like that. Still, that movie had some nice death sequences.

AXXO phking rules

Suspira has to be one of the most beautiful Horror movies in the world.  The Imagery   is a rainbow of death. In most situations your first reaction would be to turn away from Horrorific deaths, but with Suspiria I found myself in Aahh and unable to turn away.

Ahh yes as stated in other threads This is my favourite too and how poetic you are in your descriptions of it. A true classic that will stay with me always.

I said it before. I love this movie. Everything about it is so damn amazing. The feel for it. The mood that is sets off. The music playing throughout the entire movie. It's like a poem and a painting all together blending as one and coming to life and just jumping right at you and just moves you. God! I gotta watch this movie again. It's been so long since i seen it last.

This is my all time favorite horror film. Simply put, no movie has permanently unsettled my nerves or inspired me more than Suspiria has.

I quess that I will have to pick this one up and watch it again.  I watched it just a couple of weeks ago, and I gotta say that I was not overly impressed.  While the movie was definitely visually stunning, I thought that the acting was over the top, and the film overall had a cheesy feel to it.  But perhaps that will change with a second viewing of it.

i am not a great fan of argento  but i would agree "suspira" is his best.

Just rewatched this yesterday.  I gotta say I love it.  It's amazing how I can love a film that is virtually about nothing.  LOL  Seriously, nothing really happens here, but it is such a treat to the senses that you just don't care.   Amazing.  Tonite I will be rewatching Inferno.  smile

The lighting, the colors, the music, the plot...okay not the plot.  LOL But the lighting, the colors, the music...wow!