Topic: true events about the strangers

Heard that the new movie "the strangers" is based on actual events, does anyone know from where. Tried to look it up today and didn't have much luck. Some say it based off of the sharon tate murders. Just was wondering - movie looks good though.

Re: true events about the strangers

i havent been able to find anything either but i believe its a mix between the sharon tate murders and the murders of those dartmouth professors who were randomly killed by some teenagers who just wanted to see what it was like to kill someone because really when you think about it most horror movies that are based on true events are made from a plethera of actual serial killings like the texas chainsaw massacre was based not only on the actual happenings  but also based on ed gein

Smokey got it, it's mostly based off of the Manson murders. The writers apparently made up a fake story to base it off of, but that story has no credibility

Zomboy wrote:

Smokey got it, it's mostly based off of the Manson murders. The writers apparently made up a fake story to base it off of, but that story has no credibility

I'd heard that too, but obviously it is very loosely based considering all the facts with that case and what happens in the movie.  Things you can say "based on" and get away with.:)

Well as someone who has studied up a lot on the Manson family, even if this movie was based on true events surrounding the Manson murders, It would be the Manson LaBianca murders, Not the Tate murders. Manson sent the family to the Tate residence out of revenge on Terry Melcher. But The next night when they killed Leno and Rosemary Labianca that was just a random house with a couple. also they were killed by 2 females and one male like in the movie. as where the Tate murders, 4 people were involved and 5 killed.

Zomboy wrote:

Check out the link jmh put up about Roger Ebert mentioning moviesonline.ca in his review of The Strangers.  I believe the director mentions the film is "inspired" by the true act of home invasion, but  doesn't represent any single event in specific.

Or words to that effect.

LoudLon wrote:
Zomboy wrote:

Check out the link jmh put up about Roger Ebert mentioning moviesonline.ca in his review of The Strangers.  I believe the director mentions the film is "inspired" by the true act of home invasion, but  doesn't represent any single event in specific.

Or words to that effect.

That seems to be more along the lines of what I was thinking.  Thanks for pointing that out.  It just didn't seem like it really went with any of the stories I'd heard it was based on.

the strangers is base off of the keddie resort  cabin 28 murders not manson.  you con look it up. i found alot of info on trutv.com and the story about what happend. did also find a case on  a dr. jeffery mcdonald  that had some similar things.

I haven't seen The Strangers yet ( iknow, it's on my too see list, which is expanding daily!!), but i have seen the French film 'Them'. These two films seem quite similar, are they based on the same events?

twistedsista wrote:

I haven't seen The Strangers yet ( iknow, it's on my too see list, which is expanding daily!!), but i have seen the French film 'Them'. These two films seem quite similar, are they based on the same events?

They're not meant to be, even though The Strangers is so similar in storyline.  Ils (Them) is meant to be based on the murder of a couple by three teenagers in the Czech Republic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Them_(2006_film)

LoudLon wrote:
Zomboy wrote:

Or words to that effect.

that's what i heard too. i watch a part of the making of on the dvd and if i remember correctly they said it's home invasion. where the quote "Because you were home" came from.

i think some people went from house to house untill they found someone who answered the door...

But don't quote me on that.

mel101 wrote:

the strangers is base off of the keddie resort  cabin 28 murders not manson.  you con look it up. i found alot of info on trutv.com and the story about what happend. did also find a case on  a dr. jeffery mcdonald  that had some similar things.

still unsolved to this day ....... yikes

Well the story according to KingMonkey over at MoviesOnline is like this

KingMonkey wrote:

About Strangers... if you watch the featurette on the DVD, they mention the "true story" upon which it's based. Apparently the story is that when the producer/writer/whoever was young, someone came to his family's door when it was really late and asked if someone was home (someone who didn't live there). They said no, the stranger left. The next morning, they found out some houses in the neighbourhood had been broken into. End of story.

Scary huh? hmm

jackalqueen wrote:
twistedsista wrote:

They're not meant to be, even though The Strangers is so similar in storyline.  Ils (Them) is meant to be based on the murder of a couple by three teenagers in the Czech Republic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Them_(2006_film)

Thank you for the info Jackalqueen!! You're a star!:D

<INSERT MACHO NAME HERE> wrote:

Well the story according to KingMonkey over at MoviesOnline is like this

KingMonkey wrote:

About Strangers... if you watch the featurette on the DVD, they mention the "true story" upon which it's based. Apparently the story is that when the producer/writer/whoever was young, someone came to his family's door when it was really late and asked if someone was home (someone who didn't live there). They said no, the stranger left. The next morning, they found out some houses in the neighbourhood had been broken into. End of story.

Scary huh? hmm

yeah I read that somewhere too...I can't remeber the site it was on..

When Maven and i saw the strangers we were both disappointed, it just wasnt that good sorry to say.

however ils (them) is great and i recommend that over strangers ANY day.

survivalist wrote:

When Maven and i saw the strangers we were both disappointed, it just wasnt that good sorry to say.

however ils (them) is great and i recommend that over strangers ANY day.

Having seen the strangers now, i have to agree with you. Very disappointing! It seemed to lack the tension of ils.