Re: Name That Horror Film?

fair.chase3414 wrote:
HORRORKID wrote:

"Tuesday? Hell no man it's Thursday!"

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon. Excellent movie.

Hell yeah it is! I saw that quote last week and it's been killing me that I couldn't guess it. Well done.

Toadliquor wrote:
fair.chase3414 wrote:
HORRORKID wrote:

"Tuesday? Hell no man it's Thursday!"

Hell yeah it is! I saw that quote last week and it's been killing me that I couldn't guess it. Well done.

I love the respect that movie gets; so deserving of it. smile

Thank you, sir.

fair.chase3414 wrote:
Toadliquor wrote:
fair.chase3414 wrote:

I love the respect that movie gets; so deserving of it. smile

Thank you, sir.

I've actually heard a few people shit on the movie saying "It acts like it's a lot smarter than it is". My feelings are that their mothers drank heavily while pregnant, or they just have a few extra chromosomes.

My mother was never much of a drinker and I'm pretty sure I have a normal chromosome count -- but I didn't like Behind the Mask very much myself.   Gave it a few chances to grow on me, but it just didn't take. hmm

LoudLon wrote:

My mother was never much of a drinker and I'm pretty sure I have a normal chromosome count -- but I didn't like Behind the Mask very much myself.   Gave it a few chances to grow on me, but it just didn't take. hmm

lol Saying you don't like it is fine. Saying it's pretentious rubbish on the other hand (which dude inferred), that's a symptom of prenatal alcoholism and/or being a mongoloid  big_smile

By the way, what didn't you like about it? If there was something I didn't like about it, it was the 2 second cameo of Kane Hodder.

Last edited by Toadliquor (2014-03-04 23:42:56)

Pretentious rubbish?  Yeah, that doesn't make sense.  It's not like Michael Haneke directed it.

Zing!  I kid.  Loved his original Austrian version of Funny Games.

Back on topic:

Steve Freeling wrote:

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
"I want you inside me."

LoudLon wrote:

Pretentious rubbish?  Yeah, that doesn't make sense.  It's not like Michael Haneke directed it.

I had no idea who that was, BUt he looks uber pretentious. And yeah, the original Funny Games was great.

Toadliquor wrote:

By the way, what didn't you like about it? If there was something I didn't like about it, it was the 2 second cameo of Kane Hodder.

Too clever for its own good.  What we've got here is a mockumentary which sets out to de-construct and poke fun at the stale, old, familiar slasher movie formula.  And for the first two thirds of its running time, that's what it does.  Then the twist happens, and suddenly we're not watching a deconstruction of a same-old-same slasher film, we're watching an ACTUAL same-old-same slasher film.  The movie totally shoots itself in the foot the instant they decide to have Vernon turn against the film crew. 

Kind of hard to de-construct something once you've trapped yourself in the very construct itself.  Know what would have made me like this movie, and even champion it?  If at the moment of truth, when Vernon's about to kill his victim -- we learn he's a fraud.  Imagine that.  In the age of Ponzi schemes and cash-and-carry politics and James Freys and a culture where instant celebrity is only a Youtube video away, how fucking perfect would that have been!

LoudLon wrote:

What about Naomi's one??? I personaly liked both even if the original is a little bit better... Naomi's insanely hot and good in it I think. H3LL she is in EVERY DAMN THING!!! big_smile

Last edited by kXnPunk (2014-03-05 00:35:30)

Haven't seen the origanl Austrian one, but the US version was decent. Quite chilling.

As for Leslie Vernon... Maybe it was too hyped for me as some sort of next saving grace of horror (the same way people hyped Cabin in the Woods), or maybe it's just because I have never been a huge slasher fan (though of course there are some I love), but I also wasn't blown away by it. I get what Lon is saying a bit, though I don't agree completely, sure it was smug, but that was part of it's charm. But it almost felt more like the next step of the Scream series (a self aware slasher flick) and not so much something that new or fresh. Though not like it was a rip off or anything.

Punk --  I wanted to like the American version -- hell, it was even written and directed by Haneke himself -- but it still felt...off.  The same thing happened with the Danish flick Nattevagten from 1994.  The writer director, Ole Bornedal, wrote and directed the 1997 US remake himself (Nightwatch, starring Ewen McGregor) but the remake STILL felt hugely inferior to me.

I dunno.  Maybe it was just such a starkly fresh and original flick the first time around, plus it was in a foreign language.  But I couldn't get more than half an hour into the remake. hmm

I think the thing that was off about the American version compared to the original is the casting of the two kids. I can't really pinpoint what I disliked about the kids in the American version, I didn't even dislike them, they just weren't as effective IMO.

I should really watch the original. Without fail I always prefer the original when it's a foreign movie made American (not always in the case of US remakes, though usually then too).

Theli wrote:

Haven't seen the origanl Austrian one, but the US version was decent. Quite chilling.

As for Leslie Vernon... Maybe it was too hyped for me as some sort of next saving grace of horror (the same way people hyped Cabin in the Woods), or maybe it's just because I have never been a huge slasher fan (though of course there are some I love), but I also wasn't blown away by it. I get what Lon is saying a bit, though I don't agree completely, sure it was smug, but that was part of it's charm. But it almost felt more like the next step of the Scream series (a self aware slasher flick) and not so much something that new or fresh. Though not like it was a rip off or anything.

I missed the hype for Leslie Vernon. No one I knew had even heard about it. I'm not even sure how it made its way into my dvd player, but it did and I loved it. smile

Theli wrote:

I should really watch the original. Without fail I always prefer the original when it's a foreign movie made American (not always in the case of US remakes, though usually then too).

Agreed... except for The Ring. I prefer the US version.

Honestly I should rewatch it with a clear head and no hype. I've been "rediscovering" a lot of flicks I didn't enjoy much in the past for one reason or another, and have come to enjoy quite a bit more now. To name a few that a recently rediscovered; Ginger Snaps, Jaws, and Near Dark. While I may not love them all, I have definitely found a new appreciation for each one.

I was going through my big sister's DVD drawer while visiting this past Thanksgiving when I came across the copy of Funny Games I'd given her years ago.  I'd bought it sight unseen after reading about it in Fangoria, and the first time I watched it was actually with her.  She liked it so much that I gave her the DVD as soon as we were finished watching it.

At any rate, I see the DVD and I notice it still has scraps of security sticker around the edges, so I asked her how many times she's watched it since I gave it to her back in '98 or whenever it was.  She goes "It my absolute favorite horror movie that I have ever seen, but I only ever watched it that one time with you and will never watch it again." lol

Theli wrote:

Honestly I should rewatch it with a clear head and no hype. I've been "rediscovering" a lot of flicks I didn't enjoy much in the past for one reason or another, and have come to enjoy quite a bit more now. To name a few that a recently rediscovered; Ginger Snaps, Jaws, and Near Dark. While I may not love them all, I have definitely found a new appreciation for each one.

Re-discovering is always fun. I can't begin to think of all the movies I love now, that I hated for whatever reason ten years ago.

LoudLon wrote:

I was going through my big sister's DVD drawer while visiting this past Thanksgiving when I came across the copy of Funny Games I'd given her years ago.  I'd bought it sight unseen after reading about it in Fangoria, and the first time I watched it was actually with her.  She liked it so much that I gave her the DVD as soon as we were finished watching it.

At any rate, I see the DVD and I notice it still has scraps of security sticker around the edges, so I asked her how many times she's watched it since I gave it to her back in '98 or whenever it was.  She goes "It my absolute favorite horror movie that I have ever seen, but I only ever watched it that one time with you and will never watch it again." lol

Is she like that with most movies? I know lots of people who will love a movie, but they never have any interest in rewatching it.

No, she -- my whole family, really, me, my mom, sisters, nieces, nephews -- we're movie people.  LOVE movies.  If we see a movie we like, we'll watch it endlessly.  Hell, I myself have movies that I've seen upwards of two hundred times, a hundred fifty times, etc. 

But with Funny Games, she loves that it messed her up like no other horror movie she's ever seen, but because it messed her up like no other horror movie she's ever seen, she'll never watch it again.  Her daughter, my niece, feels kind of the same way about Cannibal Holocaust.  She kept hounding me to get it for her once she turned 18 because she'd heard all the hype.  I kept warning her, you really don't want to watch it, you only THINK you do.  But she kept on, so eventually I got her a copy.  She called me up afterward and I could hear the shock in her voice, very monotoned but with a quiver, "Uncle, that messed me up." lol 

So now Cannibal Holocaust is her favorite horror film, but -- much like with her mother and Funy Games -- she's only seen it once and will never watch it again. lol

Toadliquor wrote:
Theli wrote:

Agreed... except for The Ring. I prefer the US version.

Same here. Same for Grudge, Messengers and of course The Eye.

LoudLon, I strangely agree about Night Watch, something was more sick and sinister even like you said it's the same dude. But I still prefer Day Watch over the first american remake... Zhanna man, woah...

http://www.clickthecity.com/img2/articles/CTC-2028-image5.jpg

And this damn Zavulon was insanely EVIL!!!
Also loved the story of the kid and his metal balls weapon. Sweet scenes when he blows them out. big_smile

Last edited by kXnPunk (2014-03-05 02:02:28)

LoudLon wrote:

She called me up afterward and I could hear the shock in her voice, very monotoned but with a quiver, "Uncle, that messed me up." lol

Stick A Serbian FIlm down her throat, it'll mess her up even MORE. MUCH MORE!!! lol

Dude, I won't even watch that movie.  I doubt she'd have any interest in it at all. lol

^^^
Mwahahaha Do it only if she annoys you because she'll be TROMAtized for life. lol