Topic: Can Anyone Tell Me Why People Will Not Leave Hitchcock's Films Alone?

I honestly do not understand why no one will leave Alfred Hitchcock's films alone.  Honestly, let his films rest in peace with him.  His films were brilliantly directed and truly changed many genres, including horror.  So why is it that people feel the need to make remakes of his movies?  Has Hollywood truly run out of ideas?  Should everyone not take a lesson from the remakes of Psycho and Dial M for Murder, which were absolutely horrible.  And now they wish to do a remake of The Birds... dear God help us all.

The Psycho remake was directed by Academy Award Nominee Gus Van Sant and the cast of Dial M for Murder had really good actors, including Michael Douglas and Viggo Mortensen, yet in my opinion they were both really bad.  Is this not someone's way of trying to tell us that Hitchcock's stuff should be left alone?

I do not know.  Maybe my opinion is warped because I am a huge Hitchcock fan, but what do the rest of you think?  The Birds remake: Good or bad?

Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why People Will Not Leave Hitchcock's Films Alone?

I've seen one remake already:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLToN2pj … ig%20Train

But, the remake of Psycho was scene for scene, and for this reason alone, pointless. A remake of the Birds could be good (if it defies the rule of 8 out of 10 remakes being bad), if they kept similar acting, but with some better "birds" then it could be alright, not a scene by scene, shot by shot thing though, that's just fruitless.

Hahaha.  The Working Class mini video was hillarious.

Yes, I suppose it could be done right.  And yes, the remake of Psycho was completely pointless because it was redone frame for frame (with more nudity just because that is what society needs now-a-days lol).  Also, it does say it is going from the story and not directly from Hitchcock.  Though, I am also doubting this because of the whole adaptation idea.  Sometimes when people do adaptations and make it their own, things can go really bad.  For instance, aside from Hitchcock films, if you see the movie The Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price, it is a really good version of Matheson's I Am Legend.  But then the Omega Man with Charleston Heston, does not even include the vampire element.  (Although in all fairness I am looking forward to the new I Am Legend movie).  I do not know, I am just hoping Michael Bay does a good job.  I guess that in reality is all a person can ask for, right?

Well Michael Bay will NOT be directing this film. He may produce but he will be working on Transformers for a long time yet. The one reason I got worked up over the whole project was that the producer Brad Fuller refused to call it a remake.. Just call it what it is!

Now I've accepted the whole idea of classic films being remade. I've come to the conclusion that Hollywood is just going to keep doing it. Even if they don't make any money on a couple they have already learned that in the past they have made alot of money doing it.. We're just screwed now..

*sigh*

Well, I am not going to do the whole 'if we stop paying to see them they will stop' routine.  They will make the money they spent back at the very least.  So, I will resign to the sad fact that classics are to be remade till za end of time.

Though, for shame on Michael Bay for touching Hitchcock.  Its like remaking an Orson Welles movie, it just isn't done because it is a classic for a reason.  Its formula worked the first go round and there is no need to do it again where it will fall flat on its face and fail completely.

(CGI birds anyone?!) I see no need in remakeing such a classic film as The Birds, I'll bet this one falls just as flat as last year's The Fog remake did, But yeah you never can tell it just might turn out to be somewhat good, However i don't think even a fucked up remake to The Birds could top that Birds 2 Lands End shit.

We do not mention that title... The Birds 2 was sooooo bad.  Which makes me think you have a point.  No matter how bad a remake they do, it will never surpass the utter crap of Birds 2.

P.S.  Instead of The Birds 2, I would rather suffer through Gigli.  Lol.

I agree they should leave the masters film's alone. He did them right and the remakes are making a mockery out of Hitch.
I don't even understand why anyone would even think of remaking The Birds.

And the Psycho remake was not needed at all. If color was the factor than colorize the original... NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!  smile

Please allow me a moment of silence for Transformers.  I have been so upset about this from the beginning.

As for Hitchcock, when will these people learn they CAN DO NO BETTER?  He is legendary for a reason.  ARRRRGGHH!

Remaking Psycho was a crotch-punch to all of us (even those of us with no, um,  parts hehe).  I really didn't NEED to see Norman Bates abusing himself behind the wall.  We all know why boys watch girls change clothes.  Jeez.

they cash in on the nostalgia of older fans and the ignorance of younger ones.

dont be afraid to look in the back rows of your local video store where they keep the older movies and original versions.

and since hitchcock inspired so many film makers they think they can pull of the same moves he can...but as is the case most of the time remakes suck.

hitchcock movies are easy money. What better way to ensure your gonna make a buck then remake a classic.

Thats so true

why spend time on your own ideas when you can cash in on an idea you already own, and can do for next to nothing. God forbid we see a great indie film get developed for peanuts and make the studio money, and us the fans happy. ALA Feast, or Slither.

I'm also against the fact that people are trying to cash in on Hitchcock's brilliant mind.  I think the reason may be that there fairly old and people want to "bring them back".  Sounds like some bullshit to me though.

TiM the Zombie wrote:

I'm also against the fact that people are trying to cash in on Hitchcock's brilliant mind.  I think the reason may be that there fairly old and people want to "bring them back".  Sounds like some bullshit to me though.

It is definite bullshit.  Nothing but a bunch of uncreative fools looking for easy money.

1. No imagination
2. No want for creativity
3. Quick way to make money because regardless some poor sap will watch the remakes
4. If shot by shot, don't really need to try
5. Getting a high profile by using a much loved director is guaranteed to get you noticed.
6. CGI is an easy tool and more prominent directors prefer the much simpler option.
7. They could not care less for the original
8. Nor for that matter about the horror genre.
9. They think they know 'horror'
10. They suck.

cool

Being a huge movie fan and about to go to film school to become part of the movie business, I need to find a way to embrace all walks of life in the movie world.  Remakes, as of late, are a big part of that.  So here's how I justify remakes.  Regardless how big or small the original is, the remake shines a new, fresh light on the original.  For instance...we had no proper DVD release of Texas Chainsaw Massacre until the remake came out and now we have like 50 different kinds.  Before they remade My Bloody Valentine, there wasn't a stand alone DVD of the original.  Now there is.  It's a way to pump new money into an older film.  Most of the times, the remake is done by a fan of the original giving his or her input on what the film will look like if it were originally made today.

Damn, this is an old thread from the past lol.:lol:

I haven't seen anyone remaking Hitchcock movies in the last ten years, so I'm really not too worried about it.  Maybe we can thank Gus Van Sant for that..  The Birds remake seems to be stuck in development hell where it belongs.

RIP wrote:

Yeah, BTK, bless her heart, goes into the vault and finds all these older threads and brings new life to them.  You could say...she remakes the threads, lol.

BlackTequilaKiss wrote:

1. No imagination
2. No want for creativity
3. Quick way to make money because regardless some poor sap will watch the remakes
4. If shot by shot, don't really need to try
5. Getting a high profile by using a much loved director is guaranteed to get you noticed.
6. CGI is an easy tool and more prominent directors prefer the much simpler option.
7. They could not care less for the original
8. Nor for that matter about the horror genre.
9. They think they know 'horror'
10. They suck.

cool

Hahaha. I like that list BTK. smile

And my favorite Hitchcock film would be Psycho.

Gardenofstone10 wrote:
RIP wrote:

Yeah, BTK, bless her heart, goes into the vault and finds all these older threads and brings new life to them.  You could say...she remakes the threads, lol.

lol I love reviving threads. I haven't been a member of the site for very long so seeing threads that I would like to contribute, is such fun. Keeps things interesting too wink

And thank you Creature hun big_smile hugs

Last edited by BlackTequilaKiss (2009-11-15 11:49:51)

Because if there is the slightest amount of money to be made hollywood will remake it.

I suppose that today I shall be the voice of dissent. I could never quite understand why people felt the need to verbally fellate Hitchcock (w00t, I made a pun... and I drew more attention to it to show you all how clever I am tongue).Given, I've only seen a few of his films, but I've been wholly unimpressed.

Take Psycho for instance. (I can hear the torch-wielding mobs gathering...) In order to get the entire story, you really only need to watch the last five minutes. Honestly, there is something wrong with a film when you can circumvent the entire movie by simply showing the last 30 seconds (which says quite a bit about both Psycho, and the average fare in the horror genre at large). To me, Psycho was five minutes of a decent story, and an hour and a half of beautiful (but dare I say it, self-indulgent) cinematography.

If there's one Hitchcock film I'd like to see get remade, it would have to be Rope. I absolutely love this movie...I can't express it enough just how much. But, it was a 1948 film that had post-1960s content. One of the big things that was left out of the plot was the homosexual relationship between the two main characters that was present in the play it was based on, as well as the real-life events the play was based on. Personally, I would love to see a modern version of Rope where that was explored more openly. However, I also think the person to remake it should be Hitchcock...but, for some reason, he doesn't seem to be making many movies anymore. It should at least be someone who appreciates the film and Hitchcock's work, and who wants to do nothing but polish it up a little. If Hollywood ever announced a remake of Rope, I'd probably strangle myself...and hide myself in this cassone I got in Italy.

Of course, ever since the first time I saw it, I've had a rather strong urge to remake the film, myself. But, then, that's just a pipe dream, 'cause I'm in no position to do so. Not that that's gonna stop me from writing the script...

Last edited by Chrizzy (2009-11-15 17:39:40)