Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why People Will Not Leave Hitchcock's Films Alone?

Chrizzy wrote:

However, I also think the person to remake it should be Hitchcock...but, for some reason, he doesn't seem to be making many movies anymore.

I'm trying to figure out if that was meant to be ironic...

EasterBunnyKiller wrote:
Chrizzy wrote:

However, I also think the person to remake it should be Hitchcock...but, for some reason, he doesn't seem to be making many movies anymore.

It was. Trust me, I know that Hitchcock's been retired in Venice since he directed The Shaggy DA wink

Thanks for clarifying.

EasterBunnyKiller wrote:
Chrizzy wrote:

Maybe Kubrik could do the remake if Hitchcock is unavailable.

I must agree...I have all of the Hitchcock boxes...Frankly, The Birds and Psycho never really did shit for me.  However, I would not like to see these bastardized by a new generation simply due to my appreciation for Hitchcock's work.  Sure, Psycho and The Birds were horror, but despite my misgivings, I am resigned to the fact that money is better spent on new ideas.  If they ever remake Rear Window (Disturbia?) or Rope, I will indeed shit brick of discontent.

Filmmakers have been paying homage to Hitchcock for decades, yet there have been very few out and out remakes.  The man was a master at his craft and frankly "mainstream" America has been exposed to only a few of his films.  There are so many people that won't give a film a chance based on the fact that it's in B&W alone.  A remake will never take anything away from the originals, and may actually spark some interest. 

The Psycho remake was pretty pointless, I agree, but I just don't understand how angry people get when a remake is produced.  The "golden age" of Hollywood is largely a myth.  The studio system pumped out just as many misses as hits.  Remakes and sequels have been a part of the Hollywood machine for quite some time.   And for a simple reason.  They make money.  Maybe Hollywood is creatively bankrupt, but I'd rather that then they simply be bankrupt. 

I tend to judge movies on a case by case basis.  I'm not ready to condemn a movie based on the simple fact that it's a remake.

I think whether or not a remake is going to be good as well as successful may lie in the film maker's intent.  Just like with any other movie.

Here's a short list of remakes I thought were good in no particular order.

Dawn Of The Dead
Last House On The Left
The Hills Have Eyes
The Departed

And of course, The Fly and The Thing.

Remakes are cheap, reliable answers away from actually trying to do something of their own design. I'll stop judging remakes when directors stop using them to get their names noticed. Some do good jobs because they appreciate the original craft of the movie, the problem now is most directors could not care less about the original and more just a vehicle to get themselves noticed, it's no longer about the art and THAT is where my problem lies. That's all.

Last edited by BlackTequilaKiss (2009-11-15 20:21:54)

Of course, BTK, but that applies to any movie, remake or not.

But to mostly remakes. I will chance movies more so if they are not remake. It can apply to the majority but I'm speaking in terms of directors who instead of trying to bring anything just take an already existing movie formula, I find it incredibly lazy esp. when I know genuine talent exists. They probably have some creative ideas but with a movie of your own design you run the risk more so of either failing what you set to achieve or not getting the attention you desire.

Whereas with remakes you will get noticed even if in a bad light, you are going to become more prominent. Remakes are easy to follow as it requires less effort and new cast and when you combine that with the ready made CGI that exists it further lowers the point of trying to do something of your thought. Too much temptation to take the safe, easy route than be a little more risque.

I don't judge remakes until I see them but I do have the right to worry about them because it bypasses what makes movies so creative in this particular genre. Do I want them to fail? Of course not but given only around 6? maybe a few more? remakes have proven their right in so many years, that still means a lot of remakes that have failed and for good reason.

If the director has the right intention and can do something original material whilst creating their own twist I won't fault them but if they redo a movie for the sake of redoing it and getting noticed then yes I will be more judgemental. That's who I am and just my opinion again! lol no offense intended.

Last edited by BlackTequilaKiss (2009-11-15 20:54:34)

But how are we to determine if the director has the right intention?  How are we to tell the difference.  I'm not an empath, I can't read emotional intent.  Nor am I a mind reader.  What if the director had the very best of intentions, but the execution was lacking?  Or maybe he just wants to pay the bills.  We can never know, really what the intent behind the making of a motion picture is.

And really, why worry about them?  There is still plenty of original material out there.  Some good, some bad; some just plain ugly.

No worries, BTK, you're entitled to your opinion as we all are.