Topic: Gene Simmons

Gene is Rob Zombie's real dad; I don't understand why he doesn't invest in the genre of the macabre. He's a true fanboy; his heroes include LON CHANEY SR., STAN LEE and many other genre pros. He always seems intent upon fitting in with the trendy crowd like an insecure highschool fanboy. Gene's always going for the fast buck; it could be because he grew up dirt poor; his attitude often resembles that of an American who lived through the depression. Often Gene 's all about making money; everything he's done outside of KISS except (FINALLY) a hit reality series has failed. Rob Zombie has had financial and critical success with his two movies. Gene should come to an understanding of the niche market and invest,direct or somehow get involved in our genre. With his knowledge and understanding of horror he could be involved in very profitable and high quality genre films. Plus, HE'S LOADED!                                 SEE YA,TOD

Last edited by TODBROWNING1 (2007-01-10 02:08:17)

Re: Gene Simmons

Who has seen GENE's great little CARRIE knockoff:TRICK OR TREAT. It has OZZY as a 700 club nut in a few seens. Chareles Martin Smith directed; so, it doesn't have the punch many of you gore crazes want; however, it' a load of fun. Good 80's soundtrack from FASTWAY; it's all about the satanic influence of metal music.  Rent it or die!!!       

TODD!!!!!!

Give me feedback on GENE/KISS. The horror connection is there. What do you think?  Pull no punches and I might let you die with a little honor.

TODD

I think Rob Zombie has an eye for cinema.. Something that Gene Simmons doesn't.. Rob has been playing around with cameras since a very young age.. Gene Simmons knows how to "shock" or at least he use too..

Thats what sets them apart. Rob Zombie knows how to set up something in his mind and make it happen.. I think Gene Simmons can think up some kick ass stuff but he can't execute that thought.. I mean you don't see a Rob Zombie Christmas cartoon on TV..

no you don't Goon or making reality shows..I agree with what you said Goon..

Gene's knowledge of the horror genre far surpasses Zombie's; although, that may come off defensive, it's true. There are no KISS Christmas cartoons. In addition, Gene  could be involved in horror movies in any capacity, not just as a director; however ZOMBIE does have a hell of an eye. Finally, GENE's reality show is really not bad.

TODD

Last edited by TODBROWNING1 (2007-01-09 10:28:28)

No comparison between Rob Zombie and Gene Simmions!  I've seen what both had/has to offer and even Kiss didn't impress me.  The only thing that Simmions has done that did impress me is Cher.

Heh well there is an awful movie and plush dolls of them.. Hell I know a shit load about horror movies but that doesn't mean I can go and make a kick ass horror movie.. It takes a special talent that I haven't seen from Simmons.. Maybe he can.. I don't know.. Personally though how do you know that he is so knowledgeable about horror films.. I have never heard anything about it until you brought it up.. Just curious where you heard this from..

First,in the few conversations I've had with Gene he has demonstrated an incredilble knowledge of our genre. Ask any real KISS fan and they know GENE is one  if not "the" best horror film historian alive. He grew up idolizing LON CHANEY SR. I assume you know  something about the " MAN OF A THOUSAND FACES?" The fact that he speaks over 5 languages, understands kinesthetics that could translate to some kind of contribution to the horror genre. The only time KISS ever appeared in any cartoon was a very short cameo in FAMILY GUY. Their PHANTOM movie did suck ,however. I also was not impressed with the DAZED AND CONFUSED ripoff DRC. People know so little about KISS it kills me.  He may have no filmaking abilty; however, he loves scary movies and I was wondering why he has never contributed anything. You may see by peoples reactions how little they know and how much they assume about him without checking. I'm a true blue KISS historian. Thus, anything I say about KISS can be checked and verified.

Last edited by TODBROWNING1 (2007-01-09 15:20:38)

good posts todd but im with goon. knowledge of the genre dont mean you can make a good film.

He's bloody loaded; he could put up some serious money. Sometimes, it's rough being a KISS fan. He doen't need to be involved in the creative process at all;  he could just put up the cash and I was wondering why he hasn't.

Last edited by TODBROWNING1 (2007-01-10 02:15:18)

As far as Gene doing cartoons...http://www.genesimmons.com/pages/rockstar.html

The reason Simmons doesn't fund horror films is that he is interested in only one thing, the almighty dollar.  This would be the area where he and Rob Zombie differ most in my opinion.  Most things he has his hand in involve licensing out the Kiss name to others so there is no investment, only profit. 

By the way, if your sn is a reference to Tod Browning, director of Freaks, Unholy 3, etc., very cool.

Last edited by Bulin (2007-01-09 16:28:19)

What Gene doesn't realize is that he could make alot of money off of a fairly small investment.Two million and he can make 30-40 million in the niche market; Gene , give the ring back to Gollum.  He really is a huge fan ,but somehow he got lost,sad.

Yes, Gene has been involved in a cartoon; however ,it has nothing to do with his DEMON persona or KISS. Although, there is a KISS-like character.  Besides, what's wrong with animation?

Last edited by TODBROWNING1 (2007-01-10 02:21:58)

Ya sure Gene in his prime was a shocker and different, but what about alice cooper he came BEFORE gene simmons, all gene is for is the mighty Buck, he's a big sell out, alice cooper is a more original shocker then gene simmons and i saw trick or treat eww and what a part he had in that a cameo as a disc-jockey the movie was good for the time it was released.
But for now Rob Zombie has the Brains,Imagination, and Not wanting to sellout to tell a "True" Horror story where the good guys dont always win.
I think Rob Zombie Should try do a crow movie with "a perfect circle " doing the soundtrack would be pretty serious!, Or Collaborate with King Diamond on some real Sinister music or Writings...
Gene simmons can keep on trying to sell that warehouse full of 20 year old kiss labeled underwear thats still collecting dust, While Rob Zombie can keep makeing our nightmares come true...

Yea I mean your really asking that question to the wrong people Tod.. it should be asked to Gene himself.. I think any serious indie filmmaker would love to have a cool two million dollars thrown their way to make a movie..

Something cheap like a Saw or Hostel film would be perfect.. Small budgets with big gains.. I can definetly see him doing something like that easily but he hasn't so the only person who can really say why is him...

His DEMON from hell character still kicks serious ass. Did you see the ROB ZOMBIE tribute to KISS on VHI? It was a couple of months back; also,there are three other very important KISS members. Gene is just Gene. Too bad for us.                                TODD

I think what it comes down to is passion for a genre or a cirtain project. Rob has it and shows it with his videos, music and movies. Gene Simmons has the potential as an actor and maybe a director but without him choosing to do so we will never know. He was a pretty good bad guy in Runaway, the movie about crazy robots with Tom Sellick.

Hard2Kill wrote:

I think what it comes down to is passion for a genre or a cirtain project. Rob has it and shows it with his videos, music and movies. Gene Simmons has the potential as an actor and maybe a director but without him choosing to do so we will never know. He was a pretty good bad guy in Runaway, the movie about crazy robots with Tom Sellick.

God I remeber that movie lol..and I'm sorry the reality show sucked along with that other show he had on VH1..Robs the man I'm sorry and also I agree I can see Alice Cooper doing it aswell but not Gene Simmons he has a no care attidude towards things and hes all about the bucks..hes a big sell-out thats why he did the reality shows..

I love ALICECOOPER, but all he cares about is playing golf and doing tv commercials. Gene's new show is on A/E; it's a riot and a big hit. Gene does care about our genre; he just enjoys the money game. By the way, did you see ROB ZOMBIE's tribute to KISS on VH1's ROCK HONORS? ZOMBIE is a HUGE KISS fan and it showed. I AD INFERUM! TODD!

I really don't care if hes a fan..just because Rob Zombie is a fan and I'm a fan of Rob Zombie doesn't make me have to be a fan or even like Gene Simmons or Kiss for the matter..I can't stand KISS but that doesn't mean I'm not telling you not to be a fan..not everyone is gonna agree on a post..we all have different opinions..

Is it that time  again? You sure put alot of energy into something you say you don't care about.

Raven, that was a real smart-ass comment on my part ;I'd rather talk about what we are passionate about:HORROR MOVIES! You're never gonna like my childhood heroes, okay. So, what's your favorite scene in THE EXORCIST? Do you like any of the sequels? I hate 2, love III and don't know what to make of IV(BOTH OF THEM); what about you?  TODD

alright kool..I'm only a fan of the original the rest sucked..m favorite part in the movie is the crab walk down the stairs..and you?

Remember, the party scene at the begining  ? It was a rap party for Regan's mom's movie. The director was drunk-the one Regan threw out the window-and he said" I appear to have an alien pubic hair in my drink." That just kills me.  Isn't it weird that that they shot two versions  of the same film with parts IV? I watched one of the two and thought it sucked; I'm told by some that the other version of IV is better. I wonder what" possessed" the suits to make two vesions of IV? SE ya , I'm worn out. TODD.