Topic: Movies that actually scare you

I've been watching and collecting horror movies since I was 5 years old so I'm pretty much immune to just about anything but there are a few movies that still creep me out.

The Exorcist-The version you've never scene(The music, effects, and of course the spider walk scene. My sister is 17 years old and watched this movie for the first time the other day and got so scared she cried.

Session 9(very creepy atmosphere)

Halloween 2/Visiting Hours(Being in a big building alone knowing there is a stealthy killer stalking you)

Arachnophobia(I really don't like spiders)

Black Chistmas 1974(The killer really gets to me)

Re: Movies that actually scare you

that's actually a really hard question, but

the exorcist, scared the shit out of me for years, still does a little bit

darkness falls, now i can sit through it, but when i first watched it i was like 12 and i could not sleep with the lights on for like three weeks, and by then i was a total horror junkie, the movie just had a really creepy feel to it

Candyman scared the hell out of me when I first saw it.  It still does to this day just not as much.
Friday the 13th when I saw it as a kid gave me nightmares for years.
Dead End was creepy.  Me and my wife were watching it one night and had to stop and turn on the lights. haha.

These movies that scared hell out me
REC
Ju-on-The Grudge

Blair Witch....its just so darn creepy and those rock clacking sounds...

Dario Argento likes to incorporate "maggots" into his movies, that scares me..ugh

thedeadshallrule wrote:

Blair Witch....its just so darn creepy and those rock clacking sounds...

Dario Argento likes to incorporate "maggots" into his movies, that scares me..ugh

dude i ttly forgot about blair witch lol

All of these aren't necessarily still effective, but when I first saw them they each gave me a run for my money.

Salem's Lot
The Grudge
The Descent
[REC]
Day of the Dead
and of course:  Jaws
The Exorcist (I and III)

And BTW:

Suspiria_89 wrote:

My sister is 17 years old and watched this movie for the first time the other day and got so scared she cried.

Good. wink  You just made me feel better about today's youth.

IT scared the shit out of me.... I also found the remake of THE GRUDGE quite creepy.

The Exorcist, The Shining and Prince of Darkness.

To be honest with you I don't get scared at all of horror movies. I just like them ever since I was 5 years old and saw Jaws in the theater with my parents back in 1975.

I guess if I had one film that gave me the heebie jeebies it would be Trilogy of Terror starring Karen Black from 1977 and that 1 part with the little voodoo doll with sharp teeth and a butcher knife chasing her around the house.

Okay, I thought about it and I am afraid of spiders so I guess that Arachniphobia was pretty creepy with "the General" :huge ass black hairy 8 legged tarantula.

Last edited by RIP (2008-09-19 14:24:46)

Eraserhead and The Tenant

The movie Jaws itself never really scared me. But has made me think twice about going into any water what so ever. Signs creeped me out when I first saw it. And I guess Arachnophobia scared me because I'm terrified of spiders.

The Exorcist scares me still. No need to remake that
The Origional The day The Earth Stood Still
Hellraiser (the first)
The origional The Omen series
And the worst of them all is The Invasion of the Body Snatchers with Donald Sutherland. That movie disturbs me.

Nirrad wrote:

The movie Jaws itself never really scared me. But has made me think twice about going into any water what so ever. Signs creeped me out when I first saw it. And I guess Arachnophobia scared me because I'm terrified of spiders.

Well I knew how to swim before the film and I guess I started swimming at like age 3 or 4 but my mom told me that I starting swimming real fast after Jaws lol.:lol:

I hate to admit being scared of watching a movie, especially as much as I enjoy watching a good suspense, mystery or horror film, but over the years I have encounterd some movies that bother me in some way or another. I think my first experience was with this movie called "The Scarecrow". I think there are several versions of this movie around and I can never locate the movie I had watched. Itwas made sometime in the mid 70's and having watched it over 20 years ago, I don't know the premise all that much, but I do remember a pair of bright eyes looking through a potato sack of a guy perched on a pole as a scarecrow. I sure as hell would like to try and find it again.

Another movie that bothered me was "The Serpent and the Rainbow" from 1988. I still remember the trailer with the guy saying "I'm not dead." Good movie though I thought.

Another movie was the first" Pet Sematary" from 1989. Just thinking of the kid coming back from the grave when I first viewed it bothered me for many a night afterwards.

Another movie didn't bother me until 1999 and that was "The Sixth Sense". I thought the film was absolutely brillant but the scenes that bothered me was when Haley Joel Osment's character sees the people hanging from a ceiling and the other scenes with Osment's character and the interactions with the dead girl's ghost, cultimating at the wake of the girl who died, when the ghost gives Osment's character a videotape containing the reasons why the the girl had died and the suspects, who were right there at the wake...just wow.

The other movie that bothere me was "The Ring" from 2002. The movies were fine, just the fast sequence scenes that had Samara's movements were too damn fast for my liking lol.

Yet another movie bothered me and that was the" White Noise" movies from 2005 and 2007. I thought both of these films were good but the whole phenomenom known as EVP just freaks me out.

The last movie that bothers me to this day is the movie "Dead Silence" from 2007. The way they filmed the scenes of Mary Shaw bothered the hell out of me and sad to say, I slept with the lights on for a while after and I'm 34 frigging years old!!!

I thought all of these movies were great in their own way, but the most recent horror movie to get my attention (though the ending was flat) was "The Strangers". I believe it was from a first time director and I thought he did an OUTSTANDING job of just having  the three masked hoodlums just walk right onto the damn scene...especially the first time one of them enters the house right behind Liv Tyler like it was portrayed in the movie poster!

Hmmm....

these ones were (and many still are) effectively "scary" to me:

The Changeling
The Shining (original)
The Exorcist
Ju On (2000)
A Tale of 2 Sisters
Noroi
Jaws
Rosemary's Baby
Session 9
Suspiria
The Sentinel (1976)
The Woman in Black

not anymore, but upon first viewing as a youngin':
The Exorcist
Jaws
Invasion Of The Body Snatchers
Friday The 13th
The Omen
Alien
Salem's Lot
The Shining
Serpent & The Rainbow

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2008-09-24 16:31:29)

the first film i remember seeing that scared me because i was not expecting it ( was a child of about 9 or 10 at the time) was hitchcock's " psycho" at the end when vera miles turns the chair around to see mrs bates and sees a skeleton grinning at her .it scared the shit out of me!!

Havent seen a film that acually scares me for a long time. Its more 'gross out' knowdays!
When i was about 8yrs i watched Jaws for the first time and subsequently spent the whole summer refusing to swim in the sea, and scanning the horizon for that menacing fin!!
But Salems Lot was probably the film that made me jump the highest off my sofa!! The scene were Mike pops up out of the coffin!!! AAAAhhhhh!!! And that creepy kid scartching at the window!!
There is one thing that gets to me - the sound of bones cracking!! Makes my toes curl!:lol:

The Children- The very beginning of Ghost Ship and some scenes in Pet Semetary

Suspiria creeped me out majorly, but what a great movie!!!!

Arachnophobia & Jaws scare me, at least upon the first watch. The weird thing about watching these flicks is that after I watch them, I get scared. I can watch Arachnophobia and for the next 3 days, I'll be scared there's spiders under the covers of in the shower ready to attack me.

Same thing happens when I watch Jaws. I've even gotten scared to swin in a pool because of the fear of sharks that this movie brings to my mind!

Now that I come to think of it, the beginning of Ghost Ship was really something else to see. One minute seeing passengers aboard the ship dancing it up and the next seeing a wire cord unravel and slice right through those very same passengers. The delayed response effect was amazing, as the passengers were still alive for a few seconds before their bodies fell. The scene with the officer and him being sliced right across the mouth and watching his head come off was unbelievable to see.

and Salem's Lot...just wow...the mini series from 1979...I haven't seen it in a long while but I remember seeing it many years ago and reading through the previous posts made me remember how good it really was...a modern spin on Dracula and a whole town taken over by vampires...a really good adaption on King's work.

joe91074 wrote:

Now that I come to think of it, the beginning of Ghost Ship was really something else to see.

LOL I do love that scene...unfortunately it was all downhill after that.

moviemaven wrote:
joe91074 wrote:

Now that I come to think of it, the beginning of Ghost Ship was really something else to see.

LOL I do love that scene...unfortunately it was all downhill after that.

ME TOOOOO!!! But yes have to agree rest of film was pants!!!:lol:

children of the corn scared the hell out of me when i was younger