Topic: Anthropophagus(The Grim Reaper) - 1980

Last night for the first time ever I watched a film called Anthropophagus(aka The Grim Reaper) which came out in 1980 by director Joe D'Amato and stars Tisa Farrow, Serena Grandi, and George Eastman.

I bought the 2 disc special edition of it on amazon like 2 weeks ago and it's an okay flick with like 9 kills in it.

I just made a review for it on MMS so check it out.

Re: Anthropophagus(The Grim Reaper) - 1980

I remember hearing so much about that film before ever seeing it. Not bad, but it didn't quite live up to all my expectations. A little too derivative of Fulci's Zombie and a wee bit slow, but the 2 shocking kills toward the end make up for a lot. Avoid at all cost The Grim Reaper cut which excises those 2 scenes as well as some nudity if I recall correctly.

Re: Anthropophagus(The Grim Reaper) - 1980

I couldn't imagine watching The Grim Reaper because the best part of  Anthropophagus are the couple of gory moments. Other than that there really isn't much to it.

Re: Anthropophagus(The Grim Reaper) - 1980

precisely my dear Watson!

Re: Anthropophagus(The Grim Reaper) - 1980

I almost bought this today but I decided to pass on it since I'm too broke to be blind buying movies.  Looks like I made the right choice.

Re: Anthropophagus(The Grim Reaper) - 1980

mdc666 wrote:

I almost bought this today but I decided to pass on it since I'm too broke to be blind buying movies.  Looks like I made the right choice.

Dude, be like me and just blow it on a film you have never seen before and you will get women, I swear.......:P:lol:

Re: Anthropophagus(The Grim Reaper) - 1980

I've considered picking up the 2-disc at Best Buy multiple times, but bever have, guess it sounds like I should pass lol

Re: Anthropophagus(The Grim Reaper) - 1980

RIP wrote:

Dude, be like me and just blow it on a film you have never seen before and you will get women, I swear.......:P:lol:

huhh hmm

Re: Anthropophagus(The Grim Reaper) - 1980

The commercials for this film used to scare the hell out me when I was kid. Too bad the movie didn't live up to it. Its still a DVD worth having if your a collector. Anthropophagus 2 on the other hand is a worthless piece of trash.

10

Re: Anthropophagus(The Grim Reaper) - 1980

Bloodwave DVD wrote:

The commercials for this film used to scare the hell out me when I was kid. Too bad the movie didn't live up to it. Its still a DVD worth having if your a collector. Anthropophagus 2 on the other hand is a worthless piece of trash.

Are you talking about Anthro 2....aka Absurd ......aka Zombie 6: Monster Hunter cause to me that movie is bad ass and has George Eastman and Edmund Purdom in it and has some awesome kills in it uncut if you have the uncut edition and I like that film alot?:cool:

Re: Anthropophagus(The Grim Reaper) - 1980

RIP wrote:
Bloodwave DVD wrote:

The commercials for this film used to scare the hell out me when I was kid. Too bad the movie didn't live up to it. Its still a DVD worth having if your a collector. Anthropophagus 2 on the other hand is a worthless piece of trash.

Are you talking about Anthro 2....aka Absurd ......aka Zombie 6: Monster Hunter cause to me that movie is bad ass and has George Eastman and Edmund Purdom in it and has some awesome kills in it uncut if you have the uncut edition and I like that film alot?:cool:

Thats the one. I hated it. It didn't make any sense and I thought it was as dull as can be.

12

Re: Anthropophagus(The Grim Reaper) - 1980

Bloodwave DVD wrote:
RIP wrote:
Bloodwave DVD wrote:

The commercials for this film used to scare the hell out me when I was kid. Too bad the movie didn't live up to it. Its still a DVD worth having if your a collector. Anthropophagus 2 on the other hand is a worthless piece of trash.

Are you talking about Anthro 2....aka Absurd ......aka Zombie 6: Monster Hunter cause to me that movie is bad ass and has George Eastman and Edmund Purdom in it and has some awesome kills in it uncut if you have the uncut edition and I like that film alot?:cool:

Thats the one. I hated it. It didn't make any sense and I thought it was as dull as can be.

Well I agree to a point......but it really wasn't a sequel to Anthro....it was about a science project gone bad on a human being with the priests....sorta like the american version of Silent Rage with Chuck Norris.

Re: Anthropophagus(The Grim Reaper) - 1980

When I got my Shriek Show DVD of this, I had one of those freezer mugs and I heard a crack. I thought it was the ice inside cracking and went back to doing nothing. I had just opened the shrink wrap and it turns out the glass busted and soaked it in ginger ale and whatever the hell is on the inside of those mugs. Bye bye, slipcover. I enjoyed the movie enough though. I never went in expecting much more than average, but I thoroughly enjoyed the gross-out scenes and the ending was awesome. I even immortalized a scene on my site I liked it so much.

Re: Anthropophagus(The Grim Reaper) - 1980

I enjoyed the show. Haven't bought it but I have bought worse. I believe Andreas Schnass did a remake/homage a few years ago. I dig Schnass so hope to see it someday. I think its titled Anthropophagus 2000.

15

Re: Anthropophagus(The Grim Reaper) - 1980

BrettH wrote:

When I got my Shriek Show DVD of this, I had one of those freezer mugs and I heard a crack. I thought it was the ice inside cracking and went back to doing nothing. I had just opened the shrink wrap and it turns out the glass busted and soaked it in ginger ale and whatever the hell is on the inside of those mugs. Bye bye, slipcover. I enjoyed the movie enough though. I never went in expecting much more than average, but I thoroughly enjoyed the gross-out scenes and the ending was awesome. I even immortalized a scene on my site I liked it so much.

Yeah, when I bought the dvd....I had never seen the film before but I had heard of it and of course I knew of George Eastman from Zombie 6: Monster Hunter(which I have on vhs and it's known as Absurd) and the film Deliruim which I have on dvd.

I like Anthro......could it have been better? Of course it could have but being a low budget itailan flick at that time I really did enjoy it for what it is worth.