Topic: Are Horror Fans Demented

DEMENTED: Not the way most people think. Like with me I think of death and destruction differently than most people I know. I love the sight of blood and guts. And the different ways they can figure out how to kill a person. some people say that it is wrong to think like that. But I think as a HORROR FAN that should be considered normal.

one thing you probaly noticed I think I screwed up configuring the poll

Last edited by 666 (2007-01-13 01:06:32)

Re: Are Horror Fans Demented

I didn't vote because it wouldn't just let me choose one answer.  But, you mentioned that already so it's no big deal.  As for are we demented or not... I'd rather watch movies that DONT have happy endings.  I'd rather watch Cannibal Holocaust than Star Wars.  If I was in town, I would have seen Black Christmas on Christmas day.  I guess you can't really be "normal" and fit the above situations.

Well I think it depends mostly on the individual.. I mean I think of the same stuff that you do 666 only I think of them in the context of a movie.. Not saying you do but I can't speak for you.. Personally I think it is way to escape reality or to just use our imagination.. Plus thats really all it is an illusion.. if I were to see this stuff say in a real snuff film I don't think I would enjoy it..

Now if you were demented you would be someone who thinks of these things in real life and might have the capacity under a certain circumstance to act them out. I think thats the difference. But again this is my opinion of what "Demented" means to me.. To other people the fact that I watch horror movies alone makes me that.. Its really all about what you definition of the word is..

you know people think we are but we jsut a different from people who would watch mean girl where we would rther watch a stephen king movie i dont pray to satan or anything but i do watch movies with the devil in it so i think were different. i rather watch a crappy horror movie then a movie with a happy ending or a hilary duff movie.

I dont know if I'm demented or not. I love my horror. I love my happy ending movies. Probably comes from being a mom. But the main thing is this. I want to go back to school to study forensic science and pathology. I want to study the dead bodies left behind. Is this demented? You tell me.

horror fans get a bad rap. I am not demented.That said I have a fine line of good taste and some horror films cross it for me.

Demented hmmm like I am a conforming non-conformist? Its a taste, mostly an extra gene in the imagination, past the sign post of Beyond, twisted but social?
The Genre of Horror is a vast expanse of Art in the complex levels of writing, acting, directing, editing, filming, casting, costume and makeup I could go on all day. Then there is the basic fear factor which works on emotional levels. Good and Evil -- spiritual elements. Horror can pack a whollop. Its life, the human impact on everything. And plus the *undead dead* is just The coolest thing since buttered bread.
Are horror fans demented? HELL NO of course not, We are the normal ones:)

Thank God! I was getting worried there for a second!

Yes

yes... yes were demented...yes were normal... yes, what? Vander youre so specific sometimes I can hardly stand it.

Horror fans use movies as a release to avoid dementia.  Anytime anyone buys a DVD or goes to the Movies it is to get a 2 hour break from reality and to experience an emotion that they feel they have not for awhile.  If I am sad, a comedy can help forget problems and let me laugh at others for awhile, if lonely, a chick flick lets you have a relationship vicariously through others if you lead a boring life, perhaps some action will get the heart racing.  If you like a good scare or shock once in awhile then a horror movie can provide that...so basically we are all funny, romantic, non-boring etc, the one thing lacking in our life is fear....perhaps we are the least demented of the moviegoers.

i feel that reality and normality is on a personal level. to me, listening to metal, moshing, cussing, thinking about killing and tourtureing people, watching horror movie, watching execution videos on the net, and a whole list of other thing that i love to do is normal. but to someone else, these things would be considered weird or demented, in the words of Ben Kenobi, From a different point of view. people, esp psycharists, think that everyone should be the same and if someone see the world from a different perspective then the majority of people in the world, the are insane or mentally unstable.
i said that we are both, because of everything i just said.

I've been called weird, strange, etc, but never been called demented. So I guess I'm not, at least I don't think I am. I don't think horror fans are, because I think of someone who is demented as a lunatic who will go out and actually do insane things.
Horror movies don't cause insanity!

If We Are Demented Then So Are The M...........fsthat Watch Those Tear Jerker Movies!

Well to be honest i have been called demented and especially my final project, a.k.a. my demo reel, i have done from the college i went to disturbing. But it's all thanks to every horror movie i have seen became an influence to my demo reel. And i do admit i am quit demented on my end and damn proud of it too. So i actually don't mind being called that at all. And when it comes to watching horror movies, i actually prefer the most sadistic, twisted, and diabolical movies over your standard horror movies. I say bring on the torture scenes and bloodier movies. Movies that will make you gringe or the 'why in the hell did they create this movie?'

I'm a normal person with a slightly twisted mind. I've been called "strange" a couple of times in my life but nothing serious, probably because I've been around open minded people that didn't care about the fact that I loved watching people get dismembered or listening to the devil's music (metal) or stuff like that.

Well, I've been called strange here in Mexico because I hate soccer but that's the only thing.

Last edited by Kruz (2007-03-14 21:04:04)