Topic: Left 4 Dead Boldly Abandons Any Story

Left 4 Dead has hit stores and has managed to get some good reviews as well as some mixed review from the horror gamers on this site. I actually bought the game based on the reviews that you readers submitted. Its how I normally decide on my horror g...

Read More : Left 4 Dead Boldly Abandons Any Story

Re: Left 4 Dead Boldly Abandons Any Story

I wrote in my review that it had a story- that was probably kind of misleading, it's more of a 'setting' and a built up 'atmosphere', as you go through the game you gradually realize what happened. I haven't actually finished the game in singleplayer, though, so I can't really comment on that- it's a multiplayer game, so once you play that you will definitely appreciate it more.

yeah your review was fantastic and why i bought the game. you nailed the game well with your review. Here is hoping that multiplayer doesnt suck. Single player is COOL but it is not something you can sit and play for hours like Dead Rising for exmple.. it gets really old really fast.

Oh, dude, Meh, you gotta play online versus.  It's the best!

Well Meh, I called it for you on day one..........I have every horror game ever made, import as well ( if I could only understand Japanese!) lol........Yeah, this game blows, lol......I want to like it, I really do, but like most horror movie loving gamers, I WANT A GREAT SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN!
All the new games that come out are geared towards Multiplayer and leave us old school survival horror lovers in a lurch.....Unfortunately the AMerican game devs suffer from the same problem many US horror movie directors do, no atmosphere and shitty lighting.....the new Silent Hill, case and point.........they went with a US company with this one for the first time and the game lost everything that made it what it was.....an action light, creepy, atmospheric mind fuck, and they made it into a brightly lit predictable piece of crap.

The last Silent Hill Homecoming was a whole different kind of disappointment, don't get me started on that one.........anyway, we have a handful of horror games coming for all 3 consoles so we are good to go, ... I just hope it's not the same deal with them. I know Alan Wake and Heavy Rain are story driven horror games, as well as Cursed Mountain and Sadness, there is also Zombie Island and like 10 others, most notably RE5, which has a new team behind it so I hope it doesn't suffer the same fate as SH5 and I really hope the don't do the multi player bullshit.
I have to look, I have a list of over 15 new horror titles that will keep us busy.........keep the faith

I've been playing this a ton this weekend, and I have to say that the single player is just not where this game lives.  As a coop experience online this is an absolute blast.  Spending countless hours with a shotgun, some pals who understand the situation, and a horde of zombies between me and airlift rescues, I have had a great time satisfying those zombie apocalypse urges.  And, has been stated already, the AI is unbelievable...

TenderJane wrote:

Well Meh, I called it for you on day one..........I have every horror game ever made, import as well ( if I could only understand Japanese!) lol........Yeah, this game blows, lol......I want to like it, I really do, but like most horror movie loving gamers, I WANT A GREAT SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN!
All the new games that come out are geared towards Multiplayer and leave us old school survival horror lovers in a lurch.....Unfortunately the AMerican game devs suffer from the same problem many US horror movie directors do, no atmosphere and shitty lighting.....the new Silent Hill, case and point.........they went with a US company with this one for the first time and the game lost everything that made it what it was.....an action light, creepy, atmospheric mind fuck, and they made it into a brightly lit predictable piece of crap.

The last Silent Hill Homecoming was a whole different kind of disappointment, don't get me started on that one.........anyway, we have a handful of horror games coming for all 3 consoles so we are good to go, ... I just hope it's not the same deal with them. I know Alan Wake and Heavy Rain are story driven horror games, as well as Cursed Mountain and Sadness, there is also Zombie Island and like 10 others, most notably RE5, which has a new team behind it so I hope it doesn't suffer the same fate as SH5 and I really hope the don't do the multi player bullshit.
I have to look, I have a list of over 15 new horror titles that will keep us busy.........keep the faith

you definitely nailed it. Sounds like the mutiplayer is the place to enjoy Left 4 dead.

Can't say I agree with you, TenderJane- the anticipation can be killer, especially when you get barfed on and you know you have a horde coming in 2 seconds. Also, some great horror games have been released in recent times: Condemned: Criminal Origins, Fahrenheit (more of a drama but still gets close) Nosferatu, even at some points of FEAR.

Multiplayer definitely rox in this game. Versus mode is kick ass too.

I haven't bought this game yet but I rented it a few weekends ago. I have to say that I agree with most of the people onthis forum as to the fact that it is definitely a multiplayer game. I haven't played it in single player yet but the multiplayer kicks ass. The only way to beat the multiplayer mode on Left 4 Dead is to play the Horde option on Gear of War 2. Endless waves of locusts coming after you and your buddies, and you guys setting traps for them. There is just no better way to spend a weekend alone while the wife is away. Except maybe a case of beer and a huge stack of horror movies. Hmmm... that sounds like a good plan for this weekend.