Re: World Horror Convention

For immediate release:

HWA ANNOUNCES SPECIAL GUEST AT WORLD HORROR CONVENTION 2007

The Horror Writers Association <www.horror.org>, in conjunction with World Horror Convention 2007 <www.whc2007.org>, is extremely proud to announce that legendary cartoonist and author GAHAN WILSON will be the Special HWA Guest at World Horror Convention 2007 in Toronto, Canada.

GAHAN WILSON is a previous winner of the Horror Writers Association Lifetime Achievement Award and best known for his macabre cartoons in PLAYBOY and THE NEW YORKER.

His work has been collected in GAHAN WILSON’S GRAVESIDE MANNER, THE MAN IN THE CANNIBAL POT, I PAINT WHAT I SEE, IS NOTHING SACRED?, . . . AND THEN WE’LL GET HIM, THE WEIRD WORLD OF GAHAN WILSON, GAHAN WILSON’S CRACKED COSMOS, STILL WEIRD, EVEN WEIRDER, GAHAN WILSON’S GRAVEDIGGER’S PARTY, GAHAN WILSON’S MONSTER PARTY and THE BEST OF GAHAN WILSON.

He has also written a number of short stories for magazines and anthologies, some of which were collected in THE CLEFT AND OTHER ODD TALES. Wilson has also published a number of children’s books, written two unusual mystery novels (EDDY DECO’S LAST CAPER and EVERYBODY’S FAVOURITE DUCK), and edited the anthologies FIRST WORLD FANTASY AWARDS and GAHAN WILSON’S FAVORITE TALES OF HORROR.

The HWA and WHC are extremely proud that GAHAN WILSON will be joining previously-announced Author Guests of Honour MICHAEL MARSHALL SMITH and NANCY KILPATRICK, Artist Guest of Honour JOHN PICACIO, Special Publisher Guest of Honour PETER CROWTHER, Special Editor Guest of Honour DON HUTCHISON, Special Media Guest of Honour PETER ATKINS, WHC 2007 Grand Master Winner JOE R. LANSDALE and Mistress of Ceremonies SEPHERA GIRON at World Horror Convention 2007, which will take place over March 29-April 1 at the TORONTO MARRIOTT DOWNTOWN EATON CENTRE, located in the heart of Toronto, Canada.

Among those authors, editors and publishers also scheduled to attend are GARY BRAUNBECK, RAMSEY CAMPBELL, MORT CASTLE, ELLEN DATLOW, SCOTT EDELMAN, LES EDWARDS, STEVEN ERIKSON, GEMMA FILES, TINA JENS, STEPHEN JONES, BRIAN KEENE, ALLEN KOSZOWSKI, MICHAEL LAIMO, ROBERTA LANNES, TIM LEBBON, BRIAN LUMLEY, L.H. MAYNARD & M.P.N. SIMS, PAUL MILLER, THOMAS F. MONTELEONE, DAVID MORRELL, MARK MORRIS, YVONNE NAVARRO, SARAH PINBOROUGH, TONY RICHARDS, ROBERT J. SAWYER and F. PAUL WILSON, amongst many others.

The convention already has more British and Canadian attendees than any previous World Horror, making it a truly international event, and PROGRESS REPORT #3 (which will include travel information and a list of attendees) will be mailed to all registered members in early March.

THE 2007 Horror Writers Association BRAM STOKER AWARDS PRESENTATION will be held at the convention on the Saturday evening. For details about how to purchase your tickets to this very special event, please consult the HWA or WHC websites.

The convention’s official airline is AIR CANADA, a Star Alliance Member <www.staralliance.com>.

For more information, please contact
Convention Chairperson:
AMANDA FOUBISTER <amanda@whc2007.org>

www.whc2007.org

For more information about the Horror Writers Association, go to:
www.horror.org

When is the Festival of Fear?

I go to their monthly screenings and have a lot of fun with them though I don't fully understand the satanist revival performers (very strange improv).

Next Thursday is a special screening of Phantasm.

Very cool to get to see this in a theatre.

As for the World Horror convention, I don't think I'll go.  I am more interested in film than horror literature so I can't justify the time or the price.

Unless they take Canadian Tire money....

more films at WHC 2007

Among the short films we will be showing at World Horror Convention 2007 are director Mark Steensland's LOVECRAFT'S PILLOW and SUCKER. ..

Scripted by Rick Hautala, "from a suggestion by Stephen King", LOVECRAFT'S PILLOW is about would-be horror author Martin Hale (Shannon Solo), who discovers the actual pillow that H.P. Lovecraft slept on in the window of a local pawn shop. However, when he takes it home to use as inspiration, it has a horrific effect on his wife Alice (Christine Mangone). In SUCKER, a creepy guy (Solo again) abducts an innocent young girl (Camile Jones) off the street and drives her to a secluded area of woodland, where a supernatural surprise is awaiting him.

"I made LOVECRAFT'S PILLOW in August of 2006," Steensland told the Stephen King Short Movies site. "I had just finished another short, called SUCKER, and I was looking for something else to make.

"I spent a lot of time in pre-production, building sets and set pieces (such as the pawn shop sign and the insane asylum padded cell). The actual shooting only took a few days total, but the rest of the work around those few days totalled many weeks.

"In terms of actual money spent, I would say less than $250.00. I am fortunate enough to have all my own gear and most of the things I built were from found materials—that is, stuff I already had or could find easily."

LOVECRAFT'S PILLOW premiered at FantasyCon XXX in Nottingham, England in 2006 before being shown at the H.P. Lovecraft Film Festival in Portland, Oregon; the Eerie Horror Film Festival in Erie, Pennsylvania, and the Stephen King Short Films Festival in Argentina. SUCKER premiered in competition at last year's Festival of Fantastic Films in Manchester, England, before moving on to ShockerFest in California (where its young star received an Honourable Mention in the Rising Star category) and the Eerie Horror Film Festival.

You can find more information on the cast page for Sucker (2006), the cast page for Lovecraft's Pillow (2006) or go to www.marksteensland.com.

Film-makers and distributors who wish to have their product screened at World Horror Convention 2007 should contact: films@whc2007.org

www.whc2007.org

EXQUISITE CORPSE added to World Horror Conventon 2007 Film Programme

Compiled by Jim Minton and described as "An International Collaboration of Dark Cinema", EXQUISITE CORPSE assembles the twisted imaginations of surrealist directors, underground animators, and fantastic multimedia artists from different countries around the world, including the USA, UK, Canada, the Netherlands, Turkey and Chile.

Each film-maker had one goal: to create their own unique interpretation of the writings of author Michael A. Arnzen, who will be on hand to introduce our screening. The result is an exquisitely twisted patchwork of disturbing and bizarre cinematic poetry that fascinates and frightens in hauntingly beautiful and unforgettable ways. For more information, go to: www.exquisitecorpsemovie.com.

www.whc2007.org

Film-makers and distributors who wish to have their product screened at World Horror Convention 2007 should contact: films@whc2007.org

THE FROLIC added to WHC2007 Film Programme

Jacob's Cooney's THE FROLIC is a chilling adaptation of the short story by Thomas Ligotti, co-scripted by the author himself.

Michael Reilly Burke, Maury Sterling and Jennifer Aspen star in this tale about a mysterious, child-abducting "John Doe".

© Wonder Entertainment

www.whc2007.org

ok i gotta ask did you just put a copyright on forum post? lol.

Sorry MEH -- I tried to copy over a photo from THE FROLIC -- it was the photo that had the copyright !!!

Reserve your room now -- reduced WHC2007 hotel rates will end 28 Feb.

ROOM RATES

We have negotiated a significant reduction in the hotel's room rates for those registered members of World Horror Convention 2007. Rooms are Cdn$179.00 (approximately US$150.00 or £85.00), excluding taxes, for single or double occupancy. This special price is available for Tuesday March 27–Tuesday April 3, 2007, inclusive

Call 1-800-905-0667 in the US and Canada. Please make sure you quote the group code "WHC" when making your reservation.

If you want to book rooms at the special rate outside the dates given above, then follow the instructions on the reservation web page or contact the hotel direct.

www.whc2007.org

World Horror Convention 2007 presents:
"The Big Names in Horror & Mystery Signing"

Saturday, 31st March
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm

Ramsey Campbell
Joe R. Lansdale
Brian Lumley
David Morrell
F. Paul Wilson
Gahan Wilson

World's Biggest Bookstore
20 Edward Street, Toronto, CANADA
1 - 416 977 7099

www.whc2007.org

World Horror Convention 2007 – Guest of Honour Bookstore Signing

Michael Marshall Smith
Nancy Kilpatrick (Canadian writer)
John Picacio
Peter Crowther
Sephera Giron (Canadian writer)

6:00 – 7:00 pm
Thursday, March 29

World’s Biggest Bookstore
20 Edward Street, Toronto
1 – 416 977 7099

www.whc2007.org

Pre-registration for World Horror Convention 2007 is now CLOSED.

Our at-the-door rates are as follows:

At the door (full weekend) -

$170 CDN

Daily rates    -

Thursday—$35 CDN   
Friday or Saturday—$75 CDN   
Sunday—$50 CDN

www.whc2007.org

WHC CHARITY RAFFLE

Following the phenomenal success of our roof-top raffle at the World Horror Convention in San Francisco last year, we shall be holding a Charity Raffle event late on the Sunday morning at this year’s convention.

For those North American attendees who may not be aware of the difference between a raffle and a more traditional auction, we will be selling colour-coded and numbered raffle tickets throughout the convention from different locations. On the day of the draw, those tickets will be matched against a randomly-drawn prize and, if you have the correctly corresponding ticket, then you win that item. It’s as simple as that! And remember, THE MORE TICKETS YOU BUY, THE MORE CHANCES YOU HAVE OF WINNING.

Please note: You will have to be present at the raffle, or give a representative your tickets to hold, as any unclaimed prizes will be re-drawn at the time.

As always, there will be a veritable treasure-trove of prizes to be won, from signed, limited editions to expensive hardcovers, rare proofs, film memorabilia and much more besides. Any writers, publishers or others wishing to donate copies of books or other items can either bring them to the convention and hand them in at the Registration Desk or mail them arrive before FRIDAY, MARCH 23 to:

“WORLD HORROR CONVENTION RAFFLEâ€
c/o 77 Frankdale Avenue
Toronto, Ontario
CANADA M4J 4A1

Please mark packages “FREE GIVEAWAYS -- NO COMMERCIAL VALUE† and remember to use a customs form (if mailing from overseas).

We are proud to announce that all the money raised via raffle ticket sales will go to helping put a deserving student through the BORDERLANDS PRESS WRITERS BOOT CAMP. The 2008 Winter Session for Short Fiction is limited to just twenty participants and will be held over January 25-27, 2008 at the Marriott Burkshire Hotel, Towson, MD 21204, USA.

Instructors for the 2008 session are Richard Chizmar, Douglas E. Winter, F. Paul Wilson and Thomas F. Monteleone. Previous instructors at the Borderlands Boot Camp have included David Morrell, Thomas Tessier, Jack Ketchum, Douglas Clegg, Richard Chizmar and Ginjer Buchanan.

Here are some testimonials from past students:

“When I attended my first Borderlands Writers Boot Camp back in 2005, I already had two successful novel sales to a major New York publisher under my belt. By the time I attended the most recent camp in January 2007, I had just turned in what was to be my fifth published book. And I still learned as much, if not more, at my second Boot Camp as I did the first time around! Being able to properly evaluate and critique your work is an essential skill for a fiction writer, particularly in this day and age, and it is this very skill that the workshop targets. In-depth explorations of the fundamentals of writing, such as character, plot, and dialogue, go hand-in-hand with group critiques and on-the-spot writing assignments. By the time the weekend is over, you’ll never look at your writing the same way again! I give the Borderlands Writers Boot Camp my highest recommendation.†
-- JOE NASSISE, author of the internationally acclaimed “Templar Chronicles† series

“The Borderlands Boot Camp won’t give you talent or the desire to push yourself and your writing. Those are the prerequisites. What the session will do is amplify and improve upon those necessary raw materials. You will come out the other side with a deep understanding of what works and what doesn’t in fiction, both in your work and the works of others.†
-- DAN WATERS, author of “Generation Deadâ€

“I am one happy Camper. Although lots of former grunts praised the program, I was dubious how much we could accomplish in such a short amount of time, but lordy, lordy the program delivered on all the claims of the grunts and MORE! Unbelievable. What I found most helpful (and amazing) was having specific feedback in small groups from each instructor. This offered different facets of information about our work. The experience felt like a feast for a hungry writer. Receiving the excellent recommendations and observations of my fellow grunts was invaluable, as well. Thank you ALL!â€
-- FRAN FRIEL, author of “Mama’s Boyâ€

“It was an absolutely amazing experience. This was my second time as a grunt, but I learned as much this weekend as I did at the first Boot Camp. The instructors were absolutely fabulous. I can’t say enough about how insightful their comments and suggestions were.†
-- MATTHEW DOW SMITH

“Definitely the single most rewarding experience in all the time I’ve been writing. My mind has been awhirl assimilating all that I learned, as well as everyone’s insightful commentary.â€
-- LISA MANETTI

All money raised from the sale of raffle tickets at WHC will go towards supporting someone who may not otherwise be able to afford to attend the 2008 Winter Session for Short Fiction. Borderlands Press Writers Boot Camp organisers Elizabeth and Tom Monteleone will make the final decision about who will receive the bursary.

“Borderlands Press is honoured to accept the 2007 World Horror Convention’s offer of an endowment to a deserving writer to attend a future Borderlands Press Writers Boot Camp. The event is held each January in Baltimore and represents a substantial investment by all attendees who wish to work all weekend hands-on with professional writers and editors. The fee is $995.00, not including food, lodging and transportation. We would be happy to dispense the WHC endowment to a qualified writer-in-need, who could not otherwise attend our Boot Camp. Thank you to everyone who has joined together to make this project a reality.â€
-- ELIZABETH and TOM MONTELEONE, Borderlands Press

For more information about the Borderlands Press Writers Boot Camp, please go to:
http://www.borderlandspress.com/workshops.html

PS Publishing Book Launch
for members of WHC2007

Friday, 30th March
5:30 p.m.–7:30 p.m.

We are delighted to announce that our Publisher GoH, Peter Crowther, will be hosting a launch party for the latest titles from PS PUBLISHING at The Merril Collection of Science Fiction, Speculation and Fantasy at the Lillian H. Smith Branch of the Toronto Public Library on College Street.

Amongst the several new titles being launched at this event will be Ramsey Campbell's latest novel, THE GRIN OF THE DARK and THE LEES OF LAUGHTER'S END by Steve Erikson (both authors will around during the convention to sign copies), the unsigned edition of THE COLORADO KID by Stephen King, and a special World Horror Convention issue of the quarterly fiction magazine POSTSCRIPTS, featuring many attendees and GoHs.

As an added bonus, The Merril Collection will organise exclusive guided tours of their historic collection of books and periodicals for those who are interested.

www.whc2007.org

The full WHC2007 programme will go up on the site today.

This will include the full FILM programme ..

www.whc2007.org