Topic: Neil Gaiman's Sandman

Santa brought me the first book of the Sandman series.  I feel like my brain has exploded!  It's such an excellent read, but there are so many possibilities (like how will I ever get all these books and read every spin-off and figure out all of the history?).

Has anyone else in horror land tackled these?

Re: Neil Gaiman's Sandman

I've read the Sandman series years ago, the series is a great read and its not too complicated.  Besides the Sandman series itself I don't remember too many spin-offs except for the two Death mini-series which I've only read the first one and you don't really need to read to understand the Sandman series.  If you just stick to the Sandman trade paperbacks (I think theres 10 graphic novels total) that should be all you need to read, its pretty self contained, and then read the related mini-series afterwards if you want.

Last edited by mdc666 (2008-12-27 12:41:46)

The whole ten book thing is a little intimidating, but I guess that what threw me for the loop was how these external characters are appearing, like John Constantine.  The whole intermix with different characters is tough because I'm so new to the comic book / graphic novel world.

No, I've read some of his books but not these ones.  How do they compare to his other books?

The first book is the only one that I remember having other characters from different comics.  And the 10 books isn't really that bad, its really only 75 issues, I don't know if that sounds better or worse.  Trust me, by the time you get to the 3rd book you won't be able to put them down.

I'm hooked.  I just finished the first book last night.  I LOVED how it ended - it made me feel so much better after all that horror in the diner.  And I also adored Lucifer.

p.s.  Jackal, I haven't read his others.  Maybe mr. drublic can help.

Last edited by Constantce (2008-12-29 09:36:14)

jackalqueen wrote:

No, I've read some of his books but not these ones.  How do they compare to his other books?

Sandman was written before Gaiman ever wrote any novels but I would say its as good or better than any of his books.  I've read most of his books and Sandman is probably my favorite out of everything he's written besides maybe Good Omens.

mdc666 wrote:
jackalqueen wrote:

Sandman was written before Gaiman ever wrote any novels but I would say its as good or better than any of his books.  I've read most of his books and Sandman is probably my favorite out of everything he's written besides maybe Good Omens.

Thanks, I'll look out for it/them then.  smile

I'm also reading the Sandman:  Dream Hunters comic book that's being put out by Vertigo and is currently on issue 3.  It's sooo lovely and sad - about a female fox in love with a monk.

what a great series youve gotten yourself into Constance. the offshoots and mini series add so much to the mythology but are not absolutly neccasary to keep up with the events of the core title. e-bay is a great way to pick up the trades and usually for less than retail.

I'm a huge Gaiman fan but I have never actually read his Sandman series, but I have been meaning to.

Just noticed that they have the whole series in 4 Vols of Absolute Sandman.  I may have to look into those as Absolute volumes are usually pretty sweet. 

And C, there are TONS of spinoffs.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sandma … )#Spinoffs

Last edited by jmh314 (2009-01-12 23:12:57)

Ebay!  Charge card!  Delayed fiscal responsibility!

Ooooooooooor...

At the risk of being redundant, I lerv birthday presents. 
(damn it all to hell, once again C doesn't have a batting-eyelashes-smiley to use)

Our local mall's Walden Books is going out of business so last night I picked up Gaiman's American Gods, Anasasi Boys and Neverwhere.  I haven't read his stuff before, but the shelves were pretty picked over and these three books, plus one other were less than $20

No Sandman availible.  mad