Topic: Tropic Thunder

Just watched this film and though it was entertaining and even funny in parts. I am getting a little tired of Stiller. He plays the same role in everything he does (not that that is unusual nowadays) and so through a lot of it I just wanted to hit him. On the other hand Robert Downey Jnr was great in it, and for me he was the reason to watch this. Nick Nolte was fun as was Steve Coogan and Jay. This film is watchable but still Stiller is such a wanker.

Re: Tropic Thunder

Well, i loved this movie. I know Stiller acted "Zoolanderish" but i loved it. I loved how he had all these big name stars all over this movie playing small and or odd parts. I loved how they didi the "fake" movie previews. I thought it was just fantastic. The best of his movies yet. I swear I don't think I ever laughed so hard in my life since Bad Sata was in the theaters.

I hope to see this soon, the concept itself is funny. It was weird how the uptight thought police were protesting it until someone clued them in on what a 'comedy' is.

I thought "Tropic Thunder" was great. One of the funnier movies in a while. I'm not a big Stiller fan either, but since he directed and co-wrote it, he gained a little respect in my book.

everyone i've talked to, from people at work to my family, could not honestly believe it was Robert Downey Jr. playing the role of Kirk Lazarus. I had my expectations low but I actually thought his potrayal was so unbelievably good and the movie overall was enjoyable.

I MUST be showing my age however...I have dropped my fair share of four letter words and even worse over the course of my lifetime thus far...but I thought there was an EXCESSIVE amount of coarse language...though I DO understand this movie is supposed to be represent war...

and OMG...when I saw the "fake" trailers before this movie, I groaned out loud in the theater wondering what the hell kind of pictures the movie industry were churning out...I mean c'mon..."The Fatties???" and I know I don't go to the concession stand all that much...but "Booty Sweat???" I'm ashamed to say I sure was fooled...people who said they saw it never mentioned those "trailers" to me lol

Tropic Thunder - Fake Trailers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT9rnlP0mIs

Last edited by joe91074 (2008-12-28 21:48:13)

i really enjoyed tropic thunder! it was great fun.

I just bought the 2 disc director's cut the other day. I haven't watched it yet but I did put it in and watched some scenes and it is really funny so can't wait to watch the whole thing which I'm gonna try and do later today if i'm not really busy. So glad I own it and that it won the Critics Choice Award for Best Comedy.

I enjoyed it as well. Robert Downey Jr. was fantastic, and there was even a good gore scene. I thought Jack Black's character was the only bad part of the film.

Well Jack Black really isn't the best actor in my opinion..don't care much for him as he is annoying at times

i thought it was fantastic.  Tivo anyone???

Glenn-BoB wrote:

i thought it was fantastic.  Tivo anyone???

ahhhh  the TiVo!!!  cool

I finally watched this movie yesterday (the director's cut that is) and omg it is sooo hillarious and such a freakin' awesome comdey film..one of Stiller's best that he has directed. I've heard there may be a sequel..I would LOVE that!

I thought Tropic Thunder sucked.  The storyline was boring, the characters were too over the top in a bad way, and overall all the funny parts were pretty much in the trailers and commercials.  One of my least favorite mainstream films of 2008

I thought "Tropic Thunder" was pretty funny.  I saw it in the theater with a few friends and the whole audience was laughing and having a good time.

On DVD?  Not so much.

Robert Downey Jr was fantabulous.  Now, Tom Cruise, a man I love to hate, absolutely floored me in this movie.  He 100% redeemed himself to me in this movie.  Ben Stiller.....he's like Jonah Hill or Seth Rogan, same character, different title.  Still, at that, it's funny.  He kind of played himself in the movie being that typecast action star.......typecast comedy star.....

I just finished watching Tropic Thunder and I am still chuckling. What a funny movie, I enjoyed everyone in this flick, Some parts were a bit over the top, Jack Black tied to a tree with his golden barganing tongue could've been avoided. Will he get invited back to the Nickaloadin kids awards? lol

Gardenofstone10 wrote:

Robert Downey Jr was fantabulous.  Now, Tom Cruise, a man I love to hate, absolutely floored me in this movie.  He 100% redeemed himself to me in this movie.

I totally agree!  Downey Jr was awesome, but Tom Cruise really stole the show.  After that whole fiasco on Oprah's couch I had completely written him off.  But his performance redeemed at least some of his dignity in my mind.  I did not even know that he was cast in the movie until I recognized him.  Overall, I thought that the movie was frickin hillarious.  They held nothing back, making fun of everyone!

Bloodwave DVD wrote:

I enjoyed it as well. Robert Downey Jr. was fantastic, and there was even a good gore scene. I thought Jack Black's character was the only bad part of the film.

I thought he was horrible, and I have to be honest here. the movie wasn't that great. Not bad, but not great. I was glad to see an oldschooler like Nolte in it.

Is Jack Black good in anything?  I think the only movie I like him in is I Still Know What You Did Last Summer, only because he dies in it.  Dreaming.......

^Try High Fidelity, he was good in that.

I trust you.  I don't hate his movies, just he's not funny.  I liked King Kong.  I liked Tropic Thunder.  All his other ones weren't bad, just he's not a comedian to me, he tries too hard.

tropic thunder was fun but Zack And Miri was WAY funnier. Just watched the 2 disc dvd and laughed my ass off.

Meh wrote:

tropic thunder was fun but Zack And Miri was WAY funnier. Just watched the 2 disc dvd and laughed my ass off.

Hard to pick between Z&M and TT, but Z&M has Tom Savini and a bunch of Dawn of the Dead references.

yeah it definitely does. Shame Savini is such a tool.

Kevin Smith is a genius.  I can't wait for his horror movie...Red State I think?

Last edited by Gardenofstone10 (2009-01-27 18:37:16)