Topic: quest for terror

Hi everyone, nice site!
I am on a quest you could say to find the most frightening movie ever made!! I'm not talking about your typical Exorcist or Omen etc. etc. What I am looking for is life changing, soul-shrinking, terror inducing horror not just extreme gore but something that will literally keep me up at night and I really do not know what to look for or where to look, can any of you help me?

Re: quest for terror

If you like TV maybe Videodrome.

I love videodrome, but have seen it. I'm looking to be truly shaken.

Other than the Evening World News, I haven't found anything life changingly frightening.  Gross, spooky or weird maybe but not crazy terrifying. 

Wait... I know!  U.S. Pres Bush is making his State of the Union Address tonight! That might keep alot of people quaking in their beds for awhile. 

Sorry I can't help myself.  I have an impulse control problem.

I'm sorry, I can't say I've been shaken by anything since I was like 5...... I have seen some movies that I can't believe they got away with what they did or I have been surprised by the ending but scared or shaken, I can't help. I can suggest Oldboy, Audition, Chaos, Last House on the Left, or Irreversable for movies that were disturbing and stuck with me. Give those a try.

Bush proves that truth is much more frightening than any fiction we can come up with, that man is terrifying. Thanks for the suggestions, have never heard of Oldboy or Chaos so I will give them a try.
Can you guide me to a place where I can find more answers to this question? I haven't really been shaken by a movie since seeing the Exorcist and Alien when I was a wee tot and now those movie though enjoyable no longer do the trick. Are there any true wierdos out there that can give me the guidance I seek?

Did ya ever try ALIENS tongue

The Descent is good.

Creepshow is also a great one.

Masters of Horror: The Screwfly Solution I found to be very chilling, watch it on ShowtimeonDemand.

Ever See Bloodsucking Freaks or Island of Death?

I'd always recommend any asian horror films.  Those prove to be the "scariest" films out there.

On that note, R-Point is really good.

Oh yeah....good one...R-Point was creepy. In that same vein, Deathwatch was a fantastic movie. If you enjoyed R-Point, goldensim, you would probably enjoy Deathwatch. Let me know.  smile

YES!  Deathwatch is a good one.....The Bunker is also a good psychological movie.

Good call!!! The Bunker was the film that I was originally thinking about and then it slipped my mind when I came up with Deathwatch. You are right, the Bunker was extremely psychological...very intelligent.

Mommie Dearest

Mommy Dearest, Joan crawford was the anti-christ. Thank-you for the suggestions guys, I will definately check these out. Usually though they are difficult to find, can I bother you to let me know where these films are available?

If your looking to buy them, I would suggest amazon or deepdiscountdvd.  If you just want to rent them, check out netflix.