Topic: Uzumaki

anyone else see this japanese flick.  I watched it last night on a recommendation from someone on another forum and I'm just hear to warn you that I wouldn't put it on my top 50.  Started out pretty good with some pretty cool visuals like many of the the asian flicks out there but then it just got a little, i don't even know how to put it except maybe...stupid.  I'd like to know what others thought of it if you've seen it.  let me know.

Re: Uzumaki

I've heard of it but never seen it before. How are the kills in it?

I felt the same way.  I had been looking forward to it for awhile and then finally saw it.  After seeing it I was a little disappointed, but I've seen worse.  I actually heard, since seeing it, that it was supposed to have some tie in with the ring movies, but I didn't catch on to that fact while I was watching it.  Of course Uzumaki means spiral, but other than that I'm still not sure how the movies are connected.

Is this movie worse than Suicide Club?

I had good expectations of Suicide Club cause of all the talk on the net and then I bought the dvd 2 years ago and the movie was lame as hell to me.:(

I wouldn't recommend buying it, but I know you like to buy everything so it is your call.:)

the5thdroog wrote:

I wouldn't recommend buying it, but I know you like to buy everything so it is your call.:)

Is there any kills in it though?

oh there are kills and one of them is just rediculous.  read if you like.  how the hell do you do spoiler tags on this site...or can you?  if you don't wanna know, do not read beyond here.

a guy commits suicide in a washing machine that spins him around and around in to, you guessed it, a SPIRAL, hahaha.  lame.

Last edited by Glenn-BoB (2009-01-10 15:16:36)

I liked it. I thought it was very creepy and had a constant sense of dread. Decent psychological horror with great atmosphere and visuals. And yes, it had some good kills. Here's one...

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa261/bloodwavedvd/AHW/ahw3.jpg

Bloodwave DVD wrote:

I liked it. I thought it was very creepy and had a constant sense of dread. Decent psychological horror with great atmosphere and visuals. And yes, it had some good kills. Here's one...

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa26 … W/ahw3.jpg

i guesss i just found the whole concept of being obsessed with a spiral to be silly.  I've heard the film gets better with each viewing but I will not be giving this a second watch.

It is a little strange to us, but spirals are a big thing in Japanese culture. I just thought it portrayed someones decent into madness pretty well, and it was beautifully filmed for a horror movie. I thought the whole thing was pretty disturbing.

^ I liked it too. thought it had a creepy lovecraft feel to it. but i can see why someone would not like it.

Glenn-BoB wrote:
Bloodwave DVD wrote:

i guesss i just found the whole concept of being obsessed with a spiral to be silly.  I've heard the film gets better with each viewing but I will not be giving this a second watch.

Drink a bottle of tequilla and many beers and then you might enjoy it lol. It helps me to like films that I once hated lol.:lol::P

the5thdroog wrote:

I felt the same way.  I had been looking forward to it for awhile and then finally saw it.  After seeing it I was a little disappointed, but I've seen worse.  I actually heard, since seeing it, that it was supposed to have some tie in with the ring movies, but I didn't catch on to that fact while I was watching it.  Of course Uzumaki means spiral, but other than that I'm still not sure how the movies are connected.

It has zero tie in with the ring , totally different movie. Uzumaki is based on a manga i believe ,  a story of a whole town being gripped by some inexplicable force.

^I didn't think they were connected.  Even questioned it when the guy told me that, but I let it go.  Of course, this is someone who has been known to be wrong before.  Thanks for putting an end to that for me.

I enjoyed Uzumaki a great deal, but I like Asian horror in general.  It has a Lynch/Cronenberg feel to it---everything's just off.   It starts out with small strangeness, then escalates to big-time weird.  Not only did I enjoy it for its own sake, but for the fact that it's so original.  I get tired of the same old, same old, over and over again.

i love Uzumaki , its friggin awesome. plus it makes a fun drinking game ( drink everytime u see a spiral lol

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i95/edogg2012/mangasmoke.jpg

fmvgamer wrote:
the5thdroog wrote:

It has zero tie in with the ring , totally different movie. Uzumaki is based on a manga i believe ,  a story of a whole town being gripped by some inexplicable force.

I think people are getting Uzumaki confused with Rasen aka The Spiral. Rasen is the one that is tied into Thr Ring series. Rasen takes place the same time as Ring 2, but follows the reporter instead of the mother. fmvgamer is right, Uzumaki is based on a manga and has nothing to do with Ringu.

Last edited by Bloodwave DVD (2009-01-11 15:43:23)

I liked it and have reviewed it a long time ago:  http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_reviews_2631.htm   Probably wouldnt make my top 50 horror films as previously stated but it is a very odd and different movie for an Asian horror, and I thought it was pretty twisted and gave a 7/10

RIP wrote:
Glenn-BoB wrote:
Bloodwave DVD wrote:

Drink a bottle of tequilla and many beers and then you might enjoy it lol. It helps me to like films that I once hated lol.:lol::P

there is no way i am wasting a bottle of tequila on this movie.

I quite enjoyed it, but it's more bizarre than horrific. Some creepy transformations but nothing to really gross out the hard core horror fan. I love the manga by Junji Ito, but movies based on his work don't seem to do well. (eg: The Tomei series)