Topic: Down With Remakes

Just as most horror fans are, I am very happy with the resurgance and huge popularity that the genre has attained. Except for one thing- the remakes. It sickens me. The way things are basically going its like five remakes for every one original idea. I'm 23 and my 13 year old sisters will ask me if i,ve seen the latest horror movie out and i'll reply "yes i have...about ten years ago" and they're stunned, most of the younger generation has no idea that these movies are remakes, christ i didnt even know some of these movies were remakes, its sad really. Anyway on to my point, although horror is doing well i feel its in for a big fallout. most horror films are remakes either american or asian, they're already making sequals for remakes that have sequals (e.g. hills have eyes I-2-you know they'll do 3).i fear that if there arent more original ideas put to film its gonna be the 80s all over again.just like sorority house massacre is to slumber party massacre, touristas is to hostel . Thanks for lettin me rant. other opinions welcome.

Last edited by Vulgar (2007-01-30 22:10:40)

Re: Down With Remakes

In a bowling alley from hell theres only one way to score.

Re: Down With Remakes

I'm fine with most remakes. Just keep Uwe Boll VERY far away...

Re: Down With Remakes

remakes are cool. BUT why remake the move the same way if its already been done? whats the point....i like the remakes that add  to it and change it up a bit...like Dawn of the dead....or how hills have eyes had added stuff thats cool....but movie remakes like the omen? what was the point?

Re: Down With Remakes

The point of the remake for The Omen was it was in fact released on the 6th day of the sixth month of the year 2006...marketing scheme that backfired cuz they had the wrong cast! The movie would have been better with unknowns, especially those who could actually act. Julia Stiles sucks, bringing Mia Farrow out of semi-retirement was a huge mistake...she ruined the character...David Thewles and what's his name were ok...and it was missing the creepiness of the original. I would have liked to see Julia tossed out the window and smash thru the roof of the ambulance like the Lee Remick character did but nooooooooo, they opted for bubbles in the blood - the horror, the horrow. The decapitation scene was kinda cool...I liked the headless body tumbling down the stairs. Enough. Otherwise the film was sooooooo familiar that I fell asleep through certain parts when I saw it in the theatre.

Re: Down With Remakes

There have been MANY topics started about the whole "remake" subject.  Do I like remakes?  No.  Do I wish they would put an end to all this nonsense and do something original?  Yes.  Do I personally think that they add nothing to the original except take the attention away?  Yes.  But the fact is, and it's what Meh and Goon covered in the podcast very briefly, is that no matter what we do... bitch and moan... there not going to stop remaking films.  All we can really do is except the fact and pray for the upcoming generation of horror filmmakers.  Roth, Zombie, Aja, Mckee, Marshall, Gunn, Snyder, etc. etc.

Re: Down With Remakes

There isn't anything wrong with a remake.  After all, every time a play is done it is effectively a remake.  What film can learn from this is that the director and writer has to bring something of themselves to the project.  I understand that certain movies have iconic images or scenes that are canon to the film's fans but how you arrive at these scenes and where you go after can allow for amazing oppotunites to add their voice to the project.  The problem I see with remakes is that the studios see it as a cost effective way of releasing product with a built in audience.  It seems that they don't care whether it is good or bad, just as long as it keeps the movie flowing.

Besides, if actors dream about playing Hamlet, why can't they also dream about playing Freddy?  Think about it.  How would our favourite horror icons differ if another actor was in the part.  Jim Carey as Freddy or Christopher Walken as Hannibal Lector?

Re: Down With Remakes

TiM the Zombie wrote:

There have been MANY topics started about the whole "remake" subject.  Do I like remakes?  No.  Do I wish they would put an end to all this nonsense and do something original?  Yes.  Do I personally think that they add nothing to the original except take the attention away?  Yes.  But the fact is, and it's what Meh and Goon covered in the podcast very briefly, is that no matter what we do... bitch and moan... there not going to stop remaking films.  All we can really do is except the fact and pray for the upcoming generation of horror filmmakers.  Roth, Zombie, Aja, Mckee, Marshall, Gunn, Snyder, etc. etc.

Well put my friend... well put..

Re: Down With Remakes

I don't think they all suck. I've liked some remakes better than the originals. (The hills have eyes). But some remakes are just plain garbage (TCM). Maybe somebody has an idea but it's really similar to a movie already made so he chooses (or the guys in suits choose) to make a remake. I don't know, I'm just trying to give my opinion.

And I agree in the fact, that no matter how much you rant. They won't stop. Hey maybe somebody should make a movie out of this. Real horror fans getting killed when watching the hollywood remakes.

Re: Down With Remakes

I agree!  However, write me a check and give me a chance to break into the buisness and I'll jump on it.

Re: Down With Remakes

I generally don't like remakes, but one thing for sure a remake won't ruin the original.

Re: Down With Remakes

Night of the Living Dead 1990 was a good remake of the original.

Dawn of the Dead 2004, great movie, kinda hard to call it a remake.


Im looking foward to the Day of the Dead remake.

Re: Down With Remakes

DAY OF THE DEAD was considered a failure by 99% of the people who saw it. It lost tons of money and the fans and critic didn't like it; however, a remake could be worse or better. It ended the ROMERO/SAVINI relationship.

Re: Down With Remakes

I doubt 99% thought it was failure, i'm def in the 1% if your right

Re: Down With Remakes

Who cares if eveyone else hates it if you found something that you like?

I really get pissed off when people put down a film and, whether unknowing or not, make someone else feel bad because they like it.

No offense is meant to anyone on the boards but if everyone tried to put out movies that would satisfy the majority, many of our "cult classics" wouldn't exits.

Be happy that we are all different and try to find things you like and don't like about each movie you see.  That way, people reading your comments can have a chance of making their own decisions instead of following the crowd.

Re: Down With Remakes

kevinj4 wrote:

Who cares if eveyone else hates it if you found something that you like?

I really get pissed off when people put down a film and, whether unknowing or not, make someone else feel bad because they like it.

No offense is meant to anyone on the boards but if everyone tried to put out movies that would satisfy the majority, many of our "cult classics" wouldn't exits.

Be happy that we are all different and try to find things you like and don't like about each movie you see.  That way, people reading your comments can have a chance of making their own decisions instead of following the crowd.

I can't make anyone feel bad; you decide how you react to my comments. The film ended the Savini/Romero relationship. It lost so much money that it took many years for Romero to get funding for another zombie film. I made my own mind up that I liked it. I thought it was a cool film. I was  put down the same way for liking DAY OF THE DEAD as I was for liking KISS. I put down noone for haviing a feeling towards a movie. ROMERO blaimed SAVINI for the failure and there has been bad blood ever since. They do seem to have kind of made up ,though. A remake is a dumb idea. Finally, if these cult classics didn't make money somewhere down the line , they would never be made and I don't blame them. Why throw away money? It is the film Buisness.

Re: Down With Remakes

adamroddis wrote:

I doubt 99% thought it was failure, i'm def in the 1% if your right

It was not well recieved ; read VARIETY and /or boxofficemojo.com to see just what a bomb it was  with the fans , general public and the critics;again, I liked it.

Re: Down With Remakes

i don't know if i'd call the new day of the dead movie a remake. from what i've seen, read and heard it seems to be a rip off, same name- different story line.

19

Re: Down With Remakes

its a remake. It gave credit to romero, and re-envisioned his work. I much RATHER have it re-envisioned then knocked off scene by scene. I am not a huge fan of remakes but i loved the Dawn remake.

Re: Down With Remakes

TODBROWNING1 wrote:

I can't make anyone feel bad; you decide how you react to my comments. The film ended the Savini/Romero relationship. It lost so much money that it took many years for Romero to get funding for another zombie film. I made my own mind up that I liked it. I thought it was a cool film. I was  put down the same way for liking DAY OF THE DEAD as I was for liking KISS. I put down noone for haviing a feeling towards a movie. ROMERO blaimed SAVINI for the failure and there has been bad blood ever since. They do seem to have kind of made up ,though.

Dude you are wrong on SO many levels.. Have you seen all the Bub T-shirts? All the stuff based off of Day of the Dead? In theatres Day of the Dead made at least $1.5 million back and that doesn't even include all of the overseas numbers, VHS sales and rentals, not to mention DVD sales later on..

Romero blaming Savini? Where the hell did you hear that? Because if I'm not mistaken Tom Savini also worked on Romeros Monkey Shines, Two Evil Eyes, Creepshow 2 and he directed the Night of the Living Dead remake while Romero produced.. I don't know where you got that information but what you said is totally off base...

Re: Down With Remakes

Vulgar wrote:

i don't know if i'd call the new day of the dead movie a remake. from what i've seen, read and heard it seems to be a rip off, same name- different story line.

I didnt even know there was a DAY OF THE DEAD remake. I hope George got a check.

Re: Down With Remakes

Goon wrote:
TODBROWNING1 wrote:

I can't make anyone feel bad; you decide how you react to my comments. The film ended the Savini/Romero relationship. It lost so much money that it took many years for Romero to get funding for another zombie film. I made my own mind up that I liked it. I thought it was a cool film. I was  put down the same way for liking DAY OF THE DEAD as I was for liking KISS. I put down noone for haviing a feeling towards a movie. ROMERO blaimed SAVINI for the failure and there has been bad blood ever since. They do seem to have kind of made up ,though.

Dude you are wrong on SO many levels.. Have you seen all the Bub T-shirts? All the stuff based off of Day of the Dead? In theatres Day of the Dead made at least $1.5 million back and that doesn't even include all of the overseas numbers, VHS sales and rentals, not to mention DVD sales later on..

Romero blaming Savini? Where the hell did you hear that? Because if I'm not mistaken Tom Savini also worked on Romeros Monkey Shines, Two Evil Eyes, Creepshow 2 and he directed the Night of the Living Dead remake while Romero produced.. I don't know where you got that information but what you said is totally off base...

I'm done talking about this silly topic. All my imformation is correct; DAY OF THE DEAD was a HUGE flop during it's initial realease; how old were you when it came out; I remember the reaction like it was yesterday(1985); I got all my imformation about Savini/Romero from VARIETY magazine-something you should check out. Let's end this conversation unless we can deal with facts , not teenage emotions.

Re: Down With Remakes

Heh sorry dude I have met both Romero and Savini and neither of them express any animosity between each other.. So no I didn't read it somewhere and I'm not a teenager so it has nothing to do with my emotions.. Look at the facts my friend they did nearly 5 movies together shortly after Day of the Dead came out.. So obviously your "facts" are either manufactured or some bad reporting by Variety..

As to Day of the Dead.. Yea it wasn't a blockbuster hit when it came out but it did make money and it was upsetting to fans at the time because they wanted to see another Dawn of the Dead.. But just check boxofficemojo one of the sources you mentioned and you will clearly see that it made its money back..

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id … hedead.htm

24

Re: Down With Remakes

lets just knock off the personal attacks. Just because somebody disagrees doesnt make them a "stupid teenager" which your post implies Todd.

And Goon is right. I have met Savini and Romero and they never showed any animosity. It might be they put on a friendly face when fans are around, but that wouldnt fit Tom Savini's style ( I wont go into detail on that one ) Plus Romero put him in Land of the Dead where he really didnt have to.

And yeah there was a Day remake by Taurus, we interviewed the cast and crew here and it was HORRIBLE. romero got no money from it since he doesnt own the rights.

Re: Down With Remakes

TODBROWNING1 wrote:

[I can't make anyone feel bad; you decide how you react to my comments. The film ended the Savini/Romero relationship. It lost so much money that it took many years for Romero to get funding for another zombie film. I made my own mind up that I liked it. I thought it was a cool film. I was  put down the same way for liking DAY OF THE DEAD as I was for liking KISS. I put down noone for haviing a feeling towards a movie. ROMERO blaimed SAVINI for the failure and there has been bad blood ever since. They do seem to have kind of made up ,though. A remake is a dumb idea. Finally, if these cult classics didn't make money somewhere down the line , they would never be made and I don't blame them. Why throw away money? It is the film Buisness.

You're right movies are a business.  However, indie films and smaller productions are willing to make a smaller profit but have their films gears from a niche audience.  Sometimes it is by choice and other times it is out of necessity.  We are lucky that these directors have the heart to get their stories made and produce films they believe in instead of the often formula driven films of Hollywood. 

All I am trying to say is that when people come off from a position of authority and say that this is crap and this is what should be made, other people can feel bad that maybe they have no idea of what is "good".  It was not geared towards you or anyone else in particular.  It's why I appreciate Roger Ebert's writing on film but really hate the whole notion of a "thumbs up/thumbs down".  The show does point out that even critics can't agree on what is good and bad.

I prefer it when people talk about films about what they like and why.  That way, if people then can decide if your reasoning is close to what they believe.  Didn't you ever have a movie you loved years ago but didn't like when you rewatch it later on?  If our own opinions change within ourselves, how can there be an absolute "good" or "bad".

Sorry for the rant.