Re: Down With Remakes

I wish John Carpenter wouln't allow them to remake Halloween. I know JC did a couple of remakes, but he is an accomplished director. Look what they did to his films. The Fog, Assault on Precinct 13 and I can't think of what they will do to Halloween, one of the scariest movies of all time. Please Mr. Carpenter, don't let them.
John Carpenter has won an academy award for the short about Billy the Kid and Jeff Bridges earned a oscar nomination for his character in John Carpenter's Starman. I'v seen almost all the 80's remakes and they are terrible. (exception: Hills Have Eye's).
What they going to remake next A Nightmare on Elm Street. Somebody has to have an imagination. Carpenter still keeps doing different things even though it's hard to out do Halloween, The Thing, Escape from New York or Assault on Precinct 13 (etc.) just to name a few. I'm 36yrs old and I am not paying for something I saw before and I wish that something original would come out and scare us. Maybe they should make a horror movie about how to massacre a perfectly good horror movie. Peace Out!!!

good post. out of curisoity did you not like the dawn remake? that is one remake i loved.

In opinion the whole problem with remakes is their picking the wrong movies to remake ! Theres a certain chemistry thats captured in a movie(which is what makes them what they are to us).When you take a new director and a new cast theres no way they will ever recapture what the original was and most attempts end up seeming very lame. Instead of remaking movies like dawn of dead (which was cool , but not as cool as the original) they should remake movies that NEED to be remade , The Hills Have Eyes is the perfect example. I thought the original sucked bad ! The remake was awesome ! Unfortunately its all about $$$ not about what you or I or anyone thinks for that matter. The good news is that there are tons of young directors putting out indie movies with original ideas everyday. You just have to look past the fluff thats force fed to us and you can still find some good original horror! They won't stop with the remakes ...ever. Theres just too much $$ in it , and hey you don't even need to write a script !!! >;]

there are definately some movies that should not be remade. such as evil dead,friday the 13th and the people under the stairs. the remakes just dont do the originals justice in most cases. like for example i've heard that ashton kutcher is supposed to play ash in the evil dead remake. maybe not to some but to me that would ruin what those movies have become to me.

Last edited by Vulgar (2007-02-02 21:21:56)

Heh that Ashton Kutcher rumor was just something that was taken way too seriously.. Bruce Campbell said it jokingly during an interview.. you know because technically his first name is "ASHton"..

Goon wrote:
TiM the Zombie wrote:

There have been MANY topics started about the whole "remake" subject.  Do I like remakes?  No.  Do I wish they would put an end to all this nonsense and do something original?  Yes.  Do I personally think that they add nothing to the original except take the attention away?  Yes.  But the fact is, and it's what Meh and Goon covered in the podcast very briefly, is that no matter what we do... bitch and moan... there not going to stop remaking films.  All we can really do is except the fact and pray for the upcoming generation of horror filmmakers.  Roth, Zombie, Aja, Mckee, Marshall, Gunn, Snyder, etc. etc.

Well put my friend... well put..

I'll agree with this completely.

Personally, I am a fan of remakes.  I loved the TCM remake and its prequel.  What I enjoy about remakes is that directors usually bring something new to the idea.  I also think that remakes help with the realization of the original.  For example, I wasn't aware that TCM was a remake until after I seen it.  I didn't grow up when all the old classics were made, but I do enjoy the originals when I see them.  Although I also enjoy complete original stories when they are found.  It is nice to know that there is more than just remakes out there.  Anyways, that is my perspective.

I am against remakes of classics.  Grant the only good ones are King Kong, Hills Have Eyes and Dawn of the Dead and I like them but still hate them for being remakes.  My opinion (as being stated before), remake flicks that had potential but failed in execution.  A Sound of Thunder is a flick I would love to do, keep the basic premise of the time screwing up the present and having to go back and correct it and then run with it.

But, in terms of a specific remake, the recent Hitcher...Dread Central's Foywonder figures it all out in his blog, need to scroll just past his Boll update.  He unveals the startling, macbre and terrifying truth behind the movie:

http://www.foywonder.com/

Last edited by thegoldensimatar (2007-02-04 00:02:07)

i hate remakes of the original the ring and the grudge made by hollywood with "superstars" and turned into mainstream supercrap ...these movies should stay underground for the few who can appreciate with subtitles in the original language ! nothing better than horror from the far east..
oh and dont have me even started with the new omen ...the kid sux
one remake i like though is the texas chainsaw by Bay that was far better than the old ones ...
in any case remake= money make...if new stuff is added then is ok but if just underground actors are replaced by "buffy" or paris hilton like "superstars" then is not even worth watching ....

just a quick question.  i just like horror movies for what they are and i like being scared, so i dont know the history and all that stuff of some movies, but it seems that the general consensus is that most people here hate the TCM remake?  why is that?  just b/c the of the original?  it actually scared the hell out of me (yes, get scared easily) and i got more scared from that then the hills have eyes remake (that was just more gory).  just a thought

I agree with you spooky13.  I seen both movies that you metnioned and loved em both.  While I enjoy remakes, I also like original ideas as I mentioned; especially when you know a movie is a remake because you have seen the original does tend to detract from the film.

thanks for your input vorwald.  why do other people think it blows?  is it jsut b/c its a remake period, or that its a remake of TCM and it should be left alone, or that it sucks period?

I hated the TCM remake because of the original. You just can't help it and end up comparing it to the original. The fact that the original was so important to the horror movie world makes the remake even more hideous. Some scenes from the remake were just too predictable for my taste, you could even know when Leatherface was gonna jump because of how they assembled the movie!

They should changed the title to The Arizona Chainsaw Slaughter or something like that to avoid so many comparisons.

remakes to me seem exciting, depending on the movie. When I first heard Rob Zombie was doing Halloween I was stoked..but now I'm unsure. I love the original Halloween..looking over the cast..all these new ppl taking the rolls of Dr. Loomis, or Lori Strode..just obviously looks different, I dunno..I just dont like when remakes ruin the classic..which I hope isnt gonna happen with Halloween. Couple ppl made me realize that on here when we taked about the possability of the Nightmare On Elm Street remake, I was stoked at the begining..but ppl raise a good point about ruining the original.

MindFuk wrote:

remakes to me seem exciting, depending on the movie. When I first heard Rob Zombie was doing Halloween I was stoked..but now I'm unsure. I love the original Halloween..looking over the cast..all these new ppl taking the rolls of Dr. Loomis, or Lori Strode..just obviously looks different, I dunno..I just dont like when remakes ruin the classic..which I hope isnt gonna happen with Halloween. Couple ppl made me realize that on here when we taked about the possability of the Nightmare On Elm Street remake, I was stoked at the begining..but ppl raise a good point about ruining the original.

Wow MindFuk, you may actually come around. But more to the point I can't believe how many people are actually down with remakes. The one thing I'd like to know is how many of these people that say they like remakes are under 18? I for one am but I went out and watched the originals and have a appreciation for their superiority over the remakes.

Remakes don't ruin the original movie. The original film is still and always will be the same. I don't understand why some people think remakes wreck the originals, when all you gotta do is throw the original into your DVD player and enjoy!

Well for one thing I pretty much hate all the remakes.. Why? Because the directors behind them are usually in it for the money.. Of course there exceptions to the rule like Aja and Snyder.. But you know why theres turned out good? Because they actually collaborated with some of the older actors or had some attachment to the original..

Some of these remakes When a Stranger Calls, The Fog, The Omen, The Amittyvile Horror and IMO TCM are just horrible.. They were made for one reason and that was the green. They replaced tension and style with dodgy camera work and fast MTV style camera work. They replaced well done practical FX with CGI.. There is no heart and soul in these remakes..

Gus Van Sant and Michael Bay are two directors that come to mind.

Being under 18 and liking remakes is normal because most don't know a lot about horror movies or are just starting to love them. But if you start getting yourself into this kind of movies by the time your 11 or 12 then probably by the time you're 17 you'll know a lot and not like most remakes.

Kruz wrote:

Being under 18 and liking remakes is normal because most don't know a lot about horror movies or are just starting to love them. But if you start getting yourself into this kind of movies by the time your 11 or 12 then probably by the time you're 17 you'll know a lot and not like most remakes.

I think this is a really good point.  A remake is only known as a remake to the viewer if they have seen or heard of the original.  For us older viewers who have watched a lot more films, we can compare the original to the remake.  I like this because it gives me a chance to step back from the story and compare the director's work to see what each brings to the story.  Unfortunately, a lot of times it just increases my love of the original because the remake was a souless money grab by the studios (think House of Wax).  However, every once in awhile, you do get a remake of a film that is creative and polished who respects the original but adds its own flavour to the story.  I think The Hills Have Eyes is a great example of this.

Thanks Kruz for reminding us that not everyone grew up with these movies.  I look forward hearing from you when you start to discover older movies that we assume everyone has seen.

Don't worry, I'll do my best! But just in case, I'm not 18 or under 18. I'm a big boy now!! (21, heh)

I'm under 18, and, for the most part, I hate remakes.

TiM the Zombie wrote:

Yes but you are kinda unique for your age group.

In fact, you are so special, we should all pitch in a buy you a helmet smile

lol

kevinj4 wrote:
TiM the Zombie wrote:

Yes but you are kinda unique for your age group.

In fact, you are so special, we should all pitch in a buy you a helmet smile

Hey I'm under 18 and I think that I made it clear that I hate remakes also.