Topic: Them(aka iLLs) - 2006

I just bougt this french film called Them last week on dvd and watched it the other night.

The film came out in 2006 and is very similiar to The Strangers.

In Them: it inolves a husband and wife who have a nice big house in the countryside. She is a teacher and he is a writer. One night, they are awoken to strange noises coming outside of their home.

Then there car is stolen and the perpertrators are inside their home playing games with them and stalking them.

******ATTENTION SPOILERS******

The Strangers was so much better of a flick than THEM cause in The Strangers you actually see some kills in it and they are not too shabby.

In THEM, the killers are little kids from the ages of 10 to 15 and there's about 7 of them and it doesn't show any kills in the film actually but you know that the 2 were murdered along with a mother and daughter at the beginning of the film.

I liked the plot for Them but it was disappointing to see no gory kills. And how many people could actually be scared of some kids in their own home. The husband and wife never even try to get any butcher knives or weapons to bash the kids brains out when they are attacked.

The Strangers was a better film in  all ways.

I give THEM a 5 out of 10 rating.

Re: Them(aka iLLs) - 2006

I liked Them alot better than the Strangers.  I thought the Strangers was good for about the first 40 minutes or so and then the second half it just went downhill for me and bored me to tears.

I really liked both films, but imo, I thought that Them was the better of the two.
Better mood, atmosphere, and intensity. 
What made it creepy was the fact that the couple had no idea that the people tormenting them were just kids, until it was too late.  And the kids were just doing it for kicks!   Plus it really happened, of course embelished for the movie, vs The Strangers being very loosely based on actual events.

Very very loosely alien.
Here's a summary of the original horrific tale.

One night someone knocked at a house and asked for someone who didn't live there.
The next day they heard that a house in the neighborhood had been burgled that night.

Scary stuff eh?

lol:lol::lol:

<INSERT MACHO NAME HERE> wrote:

Very very loosely alien.
Here's a summary of the original horrific tale.

One night someone knocked at a house and asked for someone who didn't live there.
The next day they heard that a house in the neighborhood had been burgled that night.

Scary stuff eh?

lol:lol::lol:

Scary indeed! lol

I'm scared sad
Hold me?

lol:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Good job for bringing this one up RIP big_smile I'd almost forgot about it. I really enjoyed "Them" for the reasons why you probably didn't like it. I appreciated the fact that they tried to make a good tense thriller without ever showing any violence or gore. For the most part it worked mostly because of the very short running time. Nonetheless I thought it was a very good film and I liked it more then the strangers

alien25 wrote:

Plus it really happened, of course embelished for the movie, vs The Strangers being very loosely based on actual events.

Are you sure it was a true story? Cause on the special features documentry the director and producer said that they wrote the story cause they asked their friends what kind of horror film would scare them the most. And they said that a home invasion would so they wrote up the story and script actually. It never mentions that it was a true story in the featurette of it on the dvd.

Alot of films say that they are based on true stories when they really aren't. For example, the film called Halloween Night says at the beginning of the film and on the dvd cover that it was based on a true story. When in the Making of the Film documentary with the director he says that when he was in college a escaped mental patient was on the loose in his town but that's all that the film had in common lol and he wrote in all the other stuff to the film which wasn't true at all lol.

Kids knocking on my door would not creep me out at all. It would actually piss me off and if they are old enough to break into my house like in THEM then they are old enough to get their asses kicked and bloody lol.:lol:

Now as for The Strangers....yes, that could happen too as well. But to have 3 total strangers whom are adults try to break down your door, run a car at you, kill, etc.....then that's more terrifying than 7 kids. I would of course shoot through my door with my 9mm pistol if they were trying to break in and here in the States you can do that if someone enters "your" house and you feel that your life is in danger then by all means you have the right to blow that person's head off lol.:lol:

My 2 cents worth is that Them could have been a cool flick if it had some actual kill scenes in it and more than 3 victims lol.

BTW, The Strangers rules Them!!!!!!:P:lol:

i just ordered this from Amazon.  I should get it Monday.  It's been on my BB que forever and it's never available.

I love Them, I don't think it's a good as The Strangers, but it still a really good movie.

I haven't seen "Them" yet, but if it's anything like "The Strangers" I probably won't like it, because I hated "The Strangers".

Ils is better, The Strangers ripped it off which is one of the reasons I hated it... and yes, it's loosely based on a true story.

From wikipedia: "While claiming to be based on events, the characters in Ils are all fictional. The "true story" in which the film was based upon involved an Austrian couple who were murdered by three teenagers in their vacation home in The Czech Republic. The number of killers, action setpieces, and follow-up information at the end of the film were fabricated by the filmmakers."

I think Ils is pretty damn good. Certainly not one to be missed or taken lightly.
Tight camera shots and limited field of vision throughout really gives you a sense of the claustrophobic nature of being stalked like that. Holding off on the reveal as long as they could, an amazing opening scene, which really could have just been a short all on it's own.
The final shot of the kids catching the bus, genius!

I've not seen Strangers, but can't see how a vacuous gash like Liv Tyler could ever make me feel sorry for her.
That said, I'm not the hugest fan of US "Horror" post early 90's.

I'm with upstart on the matter. In fact take what he said and switch it over to my avatar.

RIP wrote:

Kids knocking on my door would not creep me out at all. It would actually piss me off and if they are old enough to break into my house like in THEM then they are old enough to get their asses kicked and bloody lol.:lol:

Knock, knock..........."Trick or Treat!!"
Bam!!! lol
Yeah, I really liked The Strangers, but thought that Them was just done better.  I felt really sorry for the couple, like what the hell did they do to deserve that.  I didn't feel that for the couple in the Strangers.  After the contentious begining between them, I kind of felt sorry for the dude, I mean he gets totally shot down, then the rest plays out, what a bummer.  But I didn't feel much for her.
All in all, both are really good films, and if someone is leary of seeing one because they didn't like the other, I would say check it out, because each is unique in it own way.
And thanks Jackal for the Wikipedia.

Last edited by alien25 (2009-02-27 12:21:39)

alien25 wrote:
RIP wrote:

Knock, knock..........."Trick or Treat!!"
Bam!!! lol
Yeah, I really liked The Strangers, but thought that Them was just done better.  I felt really sorry for the couple, like what the hell did they do to deserve that.  I didn't feel that for the couple in the Strangers.  After the contentious begining between them, I kind of felt sorry for the dude, I mean he gets totally shot down, then the rest plays out, what a bummer.  But I didn't feel much for her.
All in all, both are really good films, and if someone is leary of seeing one because they didn't like the other, I would say check it out, because each is unique in it own way.
And thanks Jackal for the Wikipedia.

I actually felt more pity towards the couple in The Strangers more. I mean the couple in THEM should have gotten weapons in their house to fight back like knives or something but they didn't. At least in the Strangers they got a shotgun and kitchen knives to fight back with. If someone busted in my house you better believe I would fight back big time even with a pencil lol and keys cause you can gouge someone's eyes out with that at least.:lol:

yeah Them was ok , I liked the ending , but like RIP I wouldn't really be scared of kids bangin on my doors. If anyone was fuckin with me at my house like that they would be getting ventilated very quickly, and yes I use hollow points  lol

I think the whole point of Ils was that you didn't know that they were kids.
As a matter of fact, they didn't know what the hell was going on until it was all too late.

To look at a film retrospectively and complain that they didn't do x, y or z in a case like this is silly. That's like saying why didn't Jonathan Harker just attack Dracula with a cross when he went to his castle the first time.

In Eden Lake, you know they are kids straight away and so they act accordingly. And get fucked accordingly. In Ils, you don't know they are kids until he flips over the guy he killed. Which is pretty close to the end. As a matter of fact, you have no clue they are kids the entire time they are in the house.

I should probably stop trying to defend this film. smile
I've said my bit wink

Ils had tension and atmosphere as did The Strangers, for what they were I think they were both good (have them both on DVD) . IMO the only thing that separates them is the direction of the directors but that doesn't detract from the fact they are both good movies in their own individual ways smile

That's my view anywho lol. lol

"Is Tamara home"
"Are you sure?"
"Ok, see you later":P

Upstart wrote:

I think the whole point of Ils was that you didn't know that they were kids.
As a matter of fact, they didn't know what the hell was going on until it was all too late.

To look at a film retrospectively and complain that they didn't do x, y or z in a case like this is silly. That's like saying why didn't Jonathan Harker just attack Dracula with a cross when he went to his castle the first time.

In Eden Lake, you know they are kids straight away and so they act accordingly. And get fucked accordingly. In Ils, you don't know they are kids until he flips over the guy he killed. Which is pretty close to the end. As a matter of fact, you have no clue they are kids the entire time they are in the house.

I should probably stop trying to defend this film. smile
I've said my bit wink

Nah, you are right so keep defending it!  big_smile

I had a few problems with Them myself. The idea that this was based on a true occurrence I found more disheartening than any feelings I had watching the film. It was suspenseful, but I found no real emotional investment in its portrayal. Not a bad film by any means but IMO not worthy of the hype so many placed on it.

It goes to show how different everyone's tastes are, and how effin cool this forum is.  We have two very similar films, yet there are very differing opinions of each.  Yet we as fans of the genre,  can discuss the pros and cons or each without blugeoning each other over the head!  Though that might be cool too!!:lol:

*Bludgeons alien25 over head so he'll be happy* big_smile j/k tongue

^Aw, thank you my dear.
I needed that! lol