Re: Introduce Yourself

I like horror flicks.  Peace

You seem like a good fellow! Welcome aboard!

wH3LLcome to the MADhouse.

Good fellow indeed Theli. big_smile

You'll see that all of us here do too PishPosh...

Very happy to join the group. Like all of you, I'm a fan of horror/scifi films since always.

Browsing the forum here and there, I saw that the majority of you guys are mostly fans of modern horror films. Personally, most of my time is devoted to older movies. A simple matter of taste. I just hope I won't be too dusty with my stuff from the grave. big_smile

Modern cinema is far too juicy for me, it's definitely not my thing, but it's the Holy Grail of others, and I deeply respect that. wink

Most of us here gave varied taste and go through phases of preference. I for one am more on older horror fan. I love the silent era cinema especially. I think Vasquez and DirtyGirl are probably more into older horror as well. Nothing is too old or dusty for us! Welcome aboard!

Last edited by Theli (2014-01-04 12:25:27)

Favorite movie ever of mine???

HORROR HOTEL 1960

Do I like modern stuff too??? H3LL yes.
To tell you the truth, as most of us here already know, I like EVERYTHING as far as movies go. Aside 2. Which you'll discover sooner or later, everybody knows which one here and I hate it so much I don't even wanna mention it's name. Just a hint for you, la tabarnak de kriss de Régine conne du ciboire. There, now you know. Hahaha

Very, very happy to have someone from la Belle Province in here buddy. Very cool. wH3LLcome to the insanely cool MADhouse dude and don't worry about the Gargoyles and Demons flying around, I'm their MASTER. big_smile

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs15/f/2007/020/a/a/Demon_Possessed_by_namesjames.jpg

Enjoy!!!

Evermonster wrote:

Very happy to join the group. Like all of you, I'm a fan of horror/scifi films since always.

Browsing the forum here and there, I saw that the majority of you guys are mostly fans of modern horror films. Personally, most of my time is devoted to older movies. A simple matter of taste. I just hope I won't be too dusty with my stuff from the grave. big_smile

Modern cinema is far too juicy for me, it's definitely not my thing, but it's the Holy Grail of others, and I deeply respect that. wink

Welcome to HM. Wolfman, is also a fan of the older horror on screen.

Well, this is the end for me guys. I decided to leave the forum permanently. I really don't belong here and I feel totally overwhelmed. hmm

Even if occasionally older films comes up here and there, the forum is mainly focused on modern cinema. Even with the best will in the world, it's impossible for me to enjoy it with the same passion as you guys. I have too much respect for the taste of others to continue.

The trip was short, but honest and pleasant. I return to my dusty memories because I'm definitely from another time. lol

Thanks for the friendly discussions and good luck to all on the road of darkness. wink

Ah ben mon ostie toé kriss!!!

Ah well best of luck finding your time machine. big_smile
And remember that we are still here and ever will be.

But I still have trouble understanding why. I for one watch films from 1922 to 2666 and it shows in the Horror watched last thread. H3LL I watched Horror Hotel and Psycho just now in my classic marathon.

Or maybe you need old school only ones which for sure isn't like it here. Ah well...

No hard feelings though and say hello from me à la métropole man. Good luck!!! roll

Last edited by kXnPunk (2014-01-26 13:38:50)

Formerly a Detroiter but now live in Aberdeen Washington.  Real name-Dave Szurek.  Probably one of the oldest members-currently in my sixties.  Been a horror film buff most of my life and was quite active in the fanzine scene in my teens to age 30.  Former editor of DEMONS UNLIMITED,  WEIRD CITY and WEIRDNESS BEFORE MIDNIGHT.  Formerly a substance abuse counselor and caregiver with plenty of rudimentary, usually briefly held jobs along the way but currently unemployed.

I, too, spent some time as an addiction counselor (and numerous other positions in the social service field) and I, too, am currently unemployed.  Great minds and all that, I guess. lol

Welcome aboard!

wH3LLcome to the MADhouse. Hope you'll enjoy your time here. It's the best Horror forum EVER in here!!! big_smile

Going back to what I'd said before:    Since the substance abuse counseling profession returned to that REEFER MADNESS bullshit, I have no desire to return to it.  I was lucky.  During my tenure at the job, the focus was on helping addicts who WANTED to quit to do so-to an extent, servicing those who were a chronic menace when they got high.  I never approached the matter from a moralistic standpoint and was acutely aware that not ALL recreational drugs are addictive.  Now, we have members of the profession who list even relatively innocuous things like marijuana alongside heroin.  Or at least as "gateway drugs", a concept I don't give much credence.  Hell, if there IS a gateway drug, it's birth.-----I personally am a recovering alcoholic.  I've a history of prolific drug use.   I've experienced quite a few mind altering chemicals.  Yes, I'm an ex-druggie.  The only ones to which I ever became physically addicted were alcohol and nicotine.  I do neither, any longer nor do I do anything else save very infrequent grass.

@Evermonster, I've enjoyed your few posts. It sucks to see you leave! hmm
On the other hand, @Ghost Daddy, welcome aboard. I enjoyed reading and largely agree with your stances in your approach to the counseling profession.

Last edited by The Creature (2014-02-18 03:51:19)

I completely understand where you're coming from.  A lot of old-timers in the rehab biz refuse to adjust to new findings in the field of addiction recovery study.  Even the general population has severe misunderstanding and laugh at the idea that an addiction is an incurable disease (you'll often hear them say stuff like "addicts are just too lazy to quit").

I do disagree about marijuana, in that I do believe it to be addictive (though obviously nowhere near as addictive as something like crack, oxy or heroin) and definitely see it as a gateway drug.  As a test, tell a regular pot smoker to try going a week without a joint.  If they make it three whole days, I'll eat my hat. lol

But you're right, an addict has to WANT to be clean in order for rehab to work.  I've seen so many clients come through who were only there because a family member put a guilt trip on them or a court ordered them to rehab, and they rarely last more than a few days after their discharge, because they weren't there by personal choice.  Sadly, it takes most addicts losing any semblance of control over their lives and the alienation of friends and family before they realize, "I have a problem, and I need help."  There are so many cliches you hear about rehab and AA/NA meetings -- one hit is too much and a thousand is never enough, the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem and all that -- but they're cliches because they're true.

@Evermonster -- sorry you feel that way.  We do have a number of folks here who live and breathe older genre cinema -- Wolfman and DirtyGirl are but two members who are walking encycopledias of older genre films -- but sadly they don't drop in as frequently as they used to.  hmm

I'm a w33d smoker and will be ALL my life. Period. I'm far from against it as you can imagine. But I never use it like insane and no excess. The problem with drugs and alcohol isn't the drug per say but the ABUSE of it. That was why I've been a Junky for 4 damn years back in the days. Oh and LSD, Shrooms, Opium AND Peyote too but them less than Smack. Stopped in 1990 and falled back into it for just a month in 1998 but been since that day that I'm only smoking Mary Jane and drinking. Almost everyday but responsively. Me, responsible??? Who the H3LL are you kidding??? lol
But yeah, I never push the barriers open anymore like back then.

And it happens to be 4:20 just when I write it so weird. Hahaha

But been a staff member of a therapy place for 7 years and we were helping them even those that DIDN'T want to get out of it. H3LL, if it was only for the ones that WANTED to quit, I'd be 666 feet underground... I didn't want to stop. I was forced to. And I'm thankful to my bro and mom for kicking me in there.

Discovered that what was helping was to motivate 'em with something they liked but also developing the acceptance of doing stuff they didn't like. Once that done, you can control yourself much better.

Deprssion screwed all that up but I didn't fall back in surprisignly. And beating that down depression stuff was the second best thing I did in my life, first being stopping Chemicals and Heroin.

Cool to see that you've went through similar roads and glad you're here in Horror H3LL with us. big_smile

Last edited by kXnPunk (2014-02-18 04:33:40)

Welcome to The Asylum Ghost Daddy. 

And to Evermonster- sorry you weren't around long enough because I am into older films as well.  Love to chat about Universal or Hammer movies.  Or anything pre 70s.  Gothic films are my favs.

My disorder is not supposed to be depression, but anxiety.  Frankly, I sometimes wonder if my medication has stabilized the condition.  I've not had a panic attack in years.  Well, a seemingly unprovoked one, anyway.  I have trouble crossing bridges on foot.  In a vehicle is a different story.  I then feel as "normal" as anyone else.  Tried crossing one on foot just a couple months back , though, and the age old attack came back as in the sense of telling your feet to move forward and having them move backward on what seems their own volition, instead.

^^^
Yeah I see how it goes for you and telling your brain to stop and forget that crap is very hard work. But once you get it working it'll never come back. Good luck with this. Just remember that nothing can't be fixed, not even the über complicated human brain...

LOUDLON-I tried to do the quote, but for some reason, it didn't work for me-the substance abuse business seemed to advance a little-no, a lot-back in the eighties, then it regressed next decade and by now, it appears down into the area of urban legends and old wive's tales.    That marijuana is not a physically addictive drug was medically established a long time ago.  There have been more experiments since and the jurie's out again.   Psychologically-hey a person could get addicted to just about anything, and it HAS happened even with non-drug things like work, religion and dare I say, AA and NA.  I once had a friend who was addicted to aspirin, a client who was hooked on peanut butter-both would have withdrawl symptoms and everything.  Finally referred the client to a mental health clinic, instead of what we had to offer.    I've ended up relying more on life experience than book learning and have known plenty of people, myself included, who've gone more than a week without a joint and had no withdrawl symptoms.   Hell, it was specifically the lies about marijuana's addictive powers that coaxed too many young people into thinking they may have been lied to about EVERYTHING and end up trying shit like heroin and now, so-called experts are leading them down the same path all over again.  How soon they forget!!    Grass has just been legalizd in Washington. (as well as Colorado and one city in Michigan)  So far, there are no stores carrying it in this corner of the state, however,  so one would still have to buy it on the street.   Unfortunately, Aberdeen is often dry of the substance.  Heroin and especially meth can always be found, but not always so weed.  People wishing to obtain it still have to deal with the underworld.  I haven't smoked any in almost a year.  I don't want it badly enough to pay the exhorbident prices asked by dealers even when it IS available.  I see it as a pleasant "extra" like an enjoyable movie rather than a necessity and I've seen enough people to know I'm hardly unique in that respect.  When and if someone wants to share their stash with me, though, I'm not one to regularly turn them down.  If folk still sold $1 or $2 joints, I think I'd take them up on it.  I personally would like to see AL recreational drugs legalized, if only on the "lesser evil" principle.  It matters less if this or that is addictive than the underworld involvement.  Why make a bad problem even worse.  You might agree with me on that one.  Only YOU know.

I love horror so much that i dont "waste" horror films from film collection on boring nights like sunday and monday nights... hi by the way!

Last edited by dse (2014-02-23 14:42:06)

^^^
Hahahaha A warm wH3LLcome to the MADhouse dse, enjoy home sweet evil home. big_smile

Ghost Daddy -- interesting perspective.  We might not agree on every little point, but much respect, sir.  In my area the big thing is oxy/pills.  Based on the people who live on my road alone, I'd say at least half of them are either pill addicts, or pill pushers.  I actually moved here to get away from all that (I used to work and live just outside of Louisville, which is a major metropolitan area with a healthy drug and pill trade) only to find out -- there IS no getting away from it.  Be it a major city or so far out in the sticks that you can't even get cell reception without having to drive five miles over a mountain, the shit is everywhere.

Hey all, lifetime horror fan here. Nice to find a horror message board where the members seem to actually talk about horror movie.
No worries, I'm not an aspiring horror director, author, artist, etc... looking to raise money or sell shit.  smile

Right on. smile

Welcome aboard.  I take it by your user name that you're a fan of the band?