Topic: Ebert compaires Knowing to Dark City?!

I get that both films are by Alex Proyas but I didn't think this movie would be any good... until now.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc … /903189991

Re: Ebert compaires Knowing to Dark City?!

Dark City is in a league of its own, Nickky Cage isn't going to change that

big_smile i love his wig, it seems to have a life of its own!

I agree with you garden; but now i'm a bit interested in seeing the film. But nothing touches Dark City. Great film.

That is some big shoes to fill.  Of course, Ebert is not exactly my favorite critic.

Ebert is as useful as a zit on the ass

Ebert knows more about film than anyone I know. Or read here. He is a pro. The key is knowing where your tastes and perception stand next to his. When you understand how an established critic thinks it's easier to make your own guesses on a film you haven't seen.

agreed fred. plus he wrote Russ Meyer's Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls & Beneath The Valley Of The Ultravixens, immediately establishing him as a personal hero wink

Exactly!

fredgarvin wrote:

Ebert knows more about film than anyone I know. Or read here. He is a pro. The key is knowing where your tastes and perception stand next to his. When you understand how an established critic thinks it's easier to make your own guesses on a film you haven't seen.

Which is why I said he's not my favorite critic, since we have different views.  Or was that focused on Garden?

It was probably focused on me as I made a vulgar comment about the man.  I appreciate people's opinions, hell, wouldn't be America without them, however...for someone to be famous for an opinion just isn't right.  I've seen GREAT movies have people not see it because of what he said.  I know he's not the only critic anymore, but people still feed off what he says, especially when it's everywhere.  Is he a cool guy?  Probably.  Do I agree with his opinions, very, very rarely.  Would the world be better without him?  No, because once he's gone we have to get used to someone else.  We're already trained to ignore what he says.

Didn't mean that as a jab at you Garden, I was just wondering.

No no, I didn't take it as a jab although I can see where it looks defensive.  I was just taking my irrational comment and putting into a cool calm minded way to just show I don't feel it's right that he is rich and famous just for loving movies.  I mean maybe I'm just jealous that I love LOVE movies and make no money on it.  I'm sorry for sounding defensive Fred and Azathoth, I love ya guys