Topic: Let The Right One In <2008>

just finished watching this ! I loved it , especially the end scene in the pool that was just fukin sweet big_smile so whats everbodys take on it ? love it ? hate it ? Did anyone else think that Oskar will end up like that old guy ? It lived up to the hype for me and imo the swedes did good on this one !!!

Re: Let The Right One In <2008>

I loved it, one of the best vampire movies ever made.

ditto.  this might actually be my fav. fampire flick of all time.  even with the bad subtitles on the blu-ray, haha

I wrote a review of this movie
http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_reviews_5615.htm
I really loved it and thought it was very original and will go down as one of the great vampire flicks

http://thequietus.com/articles/01451-le … ompetition

These guys are running a competition, check it out.

I have never been a huge fan of the vampire genre, especially with this Twilight crap floating around, but I decided to check out this film because of all the press around it, and I have to say I was absolutely floored by this movie.  I absolutely loved this movie, Imo it was the best film of any genre for 2008.  It is a shame that it did not get so much as a mention for an academy award, but it just goes to show how far up their asses Hollywood has their heads.

I was ok for a kiddie vamp flick no pun intended wink but it wasn't better than Taste the blood of Dracula or Dracula (1979)

absolutely loved the film but I'm getting really sick of people calling it the best vampire film of all time roll it isn't even close to the top five ....I don't know they just seem to be missing the point. The film isn't as much about vampires as it's a dark coming of age drama that just so happens to use vampires as a story telling device

^ coming of age......... with lots fuked up undertones. while this might not be the all time best vampire flicks , it certainly is the best we've seen for many years  ..imo big_smile   

no thoughts on Oskar eh ?

skfan wrote:

absolutely loved the film but I'm getting really sick of people calling it the best vampire film of all time roll it isn't even close to the top five ....I don't know they just seem to be missing the point. The film isn't as much about vampires as it's a dark coming of age drama that just so happens to use vampires as a story telling device

this IS a vampire flick.  One could say the same about any Vampire flick out there.  Dracula is just a love story that happens to have a vampire in it.  Anyway.  IYO what are the best Vamp flicks out there.  I'm just cuious.

^
Nosferatu 1922
Dracula 1931
Dracula 1992

love this flick, watched it again within days of the first viewing. I'm convinced that Oskar has been bedazzled by Eli to offer her a lifetime of servitude. The tapping on the crate (from what I understand to be "kiss" in Swedish) all but cements that fact for me. It's poetic, but I also get the sense that Eli has manipulated Oskar to a certain degree, exploiting his withdrawaled disposition. That's the great thing about the film - you can perceive it as a sort of coming of age romance between two young individuals (where one just happens to be a vampire) which is mainly what I took it for initially - but upon the second viewing I had a stronger sense that Eli had selfishly manipulated Oskar just to get her way. I love films that can be interpreted in a number of ways and keep you thinking after the final reel. A modern classic to be sure.

I seem to be the minority here but I thought this film was overrated.  I dug the performances, and as eDogg said the scene at the end in the pool was pretty sweet, but I just wasn't as captivated by it as others

I thought it's overrated too! Whats the big deal about this film. Most of it was boring. A tween vampire flick that was just barely a horror movie.

This movie was incredible! I never got a chance to see it in the theater, so I took a chance and bought the UK version. I'm really glad that I did, Easily one of the best movies I picked up this year.

I think in a day and age where Vampire movies are either A. pretty boy Vampires or B. Highly glossed, no plot formula vampires, it is a beautiful film.

Wherever it is really the 'best' is subjective but there is no denying it is a beautiful film. The scene at the swimming pool always raises goosebumps. I think it's a fantastic little film made all the more brilliant for the superb performances by the young counterparts. It's not often that two young starlets can literally make the movie their own, it doesn't happen with Hollywood because they do not hone real talent. The director on this def. choose two refined young actors and it shows.

'Best'? I'm not going to get into that area but for recent vampire films, it is surely one of the best to come along in some while and I love it. smile

I feel the same way BTK, the girl that played Eli gave such a human quality to the monster, that was one of the most compelling things about it. It reminded me of Boris Karloff in Frankenstein, even though she is a vampire, she definitely isn't the real monster in this film.

Okay I guess neutral

I too loved this film. Yes it moves slowly but  I liked the languid feel of the movie. It was beautifully shot and an excellent love story. I do not think that Oskar as 'bedazzled" (isn't that a glue and sparkley kit for dressing up dull clothing?) by her. I was so happy with the ending and felt that it did the movie justice. This movies was many layered and not just about the main characters but of the life and residents of their small town. And the rest of the cast was pretty strong. This movie gets a 9 from me.

great,great movie, but I tend to agree with others, it's not much of a horror film. Still, one of the best movies I've seen this decade for sure, will treasure it for years to come.

Last edited by LadyZ (2010-01-20 14:04:56)

Reading over the comments .. i keep seeing she and her used to refer to Eli ... problem being Eli WAS a boy . I say was since his bits and pieces were mutilated ... that's a scar you see.. not lady bits.

^^I thought that was supposed to show that she was asexual? yes, she did say "I'm not a girl" and I thought that's what that meant?

Nope .. Eli started life as a real life boy ! lol

you know, I've been meaning to see this for a long time. That's it! No more fucking around. This week end I'm going to watch it !

I loved it! *proud Scandinavian* big_smile
Very original, had a great atmosphere - though it was quite a feel-good horror flick (which I personally have nothing against.)