Topic: David Fincher to make Heavy Metal animated movie.

That's right David Fincher with Zack Sydner, Gore Verbinski, Guillermo Del Toro and Kevin Eastman are teaming up together to make a revamp of the cult 1981 animated erotic Sci-fi/horror/fantasy anthology but more true to the still popular yet still running adult comic magazine of the same name. I hear this will have 10 stories this time with a few from the original redone as the movie will use a variety of different animation like traditional 2D animation, CGI, Clay Animation, Stop Motion, Sketchy, and Japanese animation.

This could be an interesting experiment in animation and could bring adult animation to the mainstream to prove that not all toons are for kids. Hell even the original movie was charming in a kinky way while the sequel stunk.

Re: David Fincher to make Heavy Metal animated movie.

I love Heavy Metal in general and the original 80's cult film is a classic!  I highly look forward to this film...I have heard about it for quite sometime now but didn't know all those big names were attached to it...is Ivan Reitman producing?

I read about this over at monstermayhem. It sounds like a good collaboration. I always thought the first one should have been a little edgier, like the mag. I remember the 'Cabbie' segment being pretty good. Loved Cabbie in Escape from LA.

I thought the "cabbie" character was from Escape from NY?....

Oops, my typo.

Wasn't "Heavy Metal" already redone as "The Fifth Element"? you could see HM influenced that movie.

Who else thought Taarna was smokin' hot for a toon? she's that white haired mute warrior babe. Oh man i wanna bone that toon, even Princess Jasmine. Nice to see that adult cartoons are making a comeback to the big screen with Beowulf and Waltz with Bahier proving that not all theatrical toons are for kids. good examples of mature animation are "Akira", "Heavy Metal", "Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend", "Wicked City", "Ghost in The Shell 1 & 2", "Ninja Scroll", "Golgo 13: The Professional", "Fritz The Cat", "Heavy Traffic", "Wizards", "Fire and Ice", "South Park The Movie", "Hey Good Lookin'", "Starchaser: Legend of Orin" and more even from Japan.

Its gotta have a killer soundtrack cool

first I've heard of this - with that many talented hands in the till this does sound extremely promising - uber cool cool
Take it easy Charlie. I've got an angle.

Anyone thinks The Fifth Element was influenced by the original HM?