Topic: New "Alien" Movie

Hi,

You know I was always a fan of the movie "Alien" and ever since they have ecorded the movie "Alien vs Predator", I really missed Ripley. I wonder if they even offered Sigourney Weaver, a part to play, and I wish they would at least in part 2. I was wondring what you think? Cos my thoughts are "Alien" without Ripley isn't Alien.

Best wishes,
Michael

Re: New "Alien" Movie

I'm not sure how they would do that, she is a future character. I liked AvP and would like to see the woman character continue from that one, she was cool.

ripley kicked hella ass, and i didnt really like A v.P, and i dont think i woulda liked it better if she had been in it, but if they do make another, it beter have her.

I did like AVP and dispite Fox keeping the sequel under tight lock and key....i have hope for it.

Weaver said that when AVP was announced as finally greenlit, she apparently said she thought it was a very bad idea...so doubt she will even cameo.

I feel the same way.  Ripley made the "Alien" quadrilogy what it was.  Sigourney Weaver nailed the part.  They should leave it as a quadrilogy.

well I hope one day "Alien" comes back with anoher smash and Ripley will also with a title like "Alien" Reinforced or something and we get to see Ripley play again. I really liked the parts in AvP how they improved the Alien and the Predator (although the Predator wasn't my fav. movie) but what they did with "Alien" was brilliant and very realistic, and I hope very much that in the second part they will show more blood, and scences that will keep us, the audiences in suspense, cos for example to me Jason vs Freddy it was a parody or something, I mean come on a little bug getting high on weed it's like watching "Scary Movie". The first part I loved, when I watched it for the first time at my friends house I was afraid to go home cos I was so fucken scared.

Best, Michael

Well, Weaver has bills to pay. Probably they'll get her with a huge check. Which I think they shouldn't. Alien and AVP are two completely different concepts to me. I would love to see Alien invading Earth or something without ripping off Starship Troopers. Maybe a modern day survival film after Aliens invaded Earth?

sorry from jumping from Alien to Freddy

Are we talking about two different franchises here?  Because if the second AvP takes place in the present, it's impossible for Ellen Ripley to appear.  If we're talking an Alien 5, I would be happy to see her absent frankly.  Ellen Ripley is a fine character, but it's time to move on.  Her character was unnecessary in the fourth movie.  I didn't like the way they shoehorned her in.  It turned an otherwise fine movie into bad melodrama.  At least until the end, when it was just bad. 

There have been many stories told in the Alien universe, both in comic and book form, to varying degrees of success.  It's certainly possible to make a film without her.  And to succeed. 

I like Sigourney Weaver.  I think she's a fine actress.  And I like the character of Ellen Ripley.  But it's the Alien franchise, not the Ellen Ripley franchise.  It's time to move on.

Good plot.  Good characters.  Aliens.

I remember AMC had a Alien documentary about the whole of the series, I think it mentioned to get her on board for Ressurection, they gave her exective producer credit and an $11 million dollar check...and she only got paid $30,000 for the first and $1 million for 2..dunno how much for 3.

I really wanna see Colonial Marines invade the Alien homeworld and have an epic battle there.  Maybe dow what sMart says and not include Ripley and for this create a whole new trilogy with a whole new cast of high quality characters like her and make it an epic trilogy of the battle.  I recall when Renny Harlin was attached to Alien 3 the script was gonna be set on the alien homeworld but budget was a big problem and after a year he left.

Would have also loved to see the 2nd director's vision.  Vincient Something, gone blank on his name.  Such a unquie take on it.  If you have the Alien Quadrilogy box set or planning to get it, definatly listen in on his vision...that would have been one kick ass and different enough to make it worthy.

I recall Ridley Scott and James Cameron at one point were interested in teaming up for an ALIEN 5 and apparently Fox (and I think Weaver) was interested in the team up but after Paul W.S Anderson was able to convince Fox to finally go ahead with AVP they thought they didn't need to do an Alien 5.

I know that Weaver is recording two or three movies right now ... but I recall once every last friday of every month when I was in europe they had this special where you were sitting fom 6pm to 6am and they would play all night horror movies, and they played Alien 1 ... and it was magnificient to see it on big screen since I was 3 years old when it came out and I had no chance to see it - and it's a big ass difference to see something on the widescreen and on tv. People didn't even had a chance to fall asleep cos of all the screaming and shit ... cos every Friday there was like from 6 to 6 a comedy night, etc etc etc I went once on those nights ppl were sleeping but not on the horror night. I would hope they would do something like that here, I know they did it last halloween but only for one night - come on.

I hadn't thought about an Alien (only) movie without Ripley. Damn, seems like I must open my mind a little bit more.

The idea of invading Alien's planet seems good but do you really want to fight against those things in their own backyard?????? And why fight them in their own planet if you can just nuke the whole planet and erase it from the galaxy?

Kruz, we want to fight the aliens over there so we don't have to fight them over here smile

Yeah I'm up for another Alien but not for AVP 2 or a remake

Yea actually a new film with Weaver and Scott was very close to happening.. I'm not sure exactly what happened but negotiations must have fallen through.. I've never been a huge fan of the Alien franchise myself.. I have always liked Predator more..

Kruz wrote:

I hadn't thought about an Alien (only) movie without Ripley. Damn, seems like I must open my mind a little bit more.

The idea of invading Alien's planet seems good but do you really want to fight against those things in their own backyard?????? And why fight them in their own planet if you can just nuke the whole planet and erase it from the galaxy?

That's the thing that always bothered me about Starship Troopers.  We'd rather kill off a generation of young people then nuke these infested planets from orbit.

I finally decided that there must have been two reasons for this.

1.  The bugs dug deep and there was no guarantee that the nukes would get them.  In the meantime, you're making the planet hostile to human life.  If the bugs survived the bombardment and could survive those conditions, they were still a threat.  And in the meantime it would be that much more difficult to launch a ground attack.

2.  I can't imagine that there are many planets in the galaxy that could support human life.  Perhaps we wanted the planet to be available for colonization at some point.  Though with an entire generation pretty much wiped out, who would've done it? 

I don't think we could destroy an entire planet.  Not with the technology I observed in Starship Troopers.  Nor the technology I observed in the Alien franchise.  And even if we could, I'm not sure we'd go that way anyway.  We'd disrupt an entire solar system, including what may well be valuable natural resources and perhaps other habitable planets in the system if we destroyed a world.  The dynamics of gravity can be a tricky thing.  Plus, I would think that doing such a thing would be a suicide mission for those involved. 

I think about this stuff way too much.

Side note:  I'd love to see a true film adaptation of Starship Troopers. 

P.S.  I know I'll probably get lynched for this, but I rather enjoyed the DTV sequel to Starship Troopers. 

I love the Aliens franchise, and can find good in all of the movies.  And despite the similarity of the ending of the third movie with that of Terminator 2, I thought it was a fitting end for the character of Ripley.  Which is why despite the goodness of Alien Resurrection, I was quite disappointed that the producers brought her back.  It felt forced and unnecessary, particularly because there were so many other interesting characters to play with. 

I think the Alien franchise can survive without Ellen Ripley.  I was hoping 3 would go in another direction, because I still can't figure out how the Alien queen was able to implant Ellen, nor can I figure out how or when the queen laid that egg.  I was very unhappy that they killed Newt and Hicks off-camera. 

As far as AvP, before viewing it, I woulda thought that the entire concept was bulletproof.  There are some things I like about it.  The PG-13 rating isn't one of them.  The bullet time face huggers isn't one of them.  The present day scenario isn't one of them.  The Tyrannosaurus Queen isn't one of 'em.  The chunky Predators....But I love both franchises, and seeing them together, finally was still quite the thrill.  I'm a fan of the Area 51 series of books, which posits the theory that aliens have been living amongst us since the dawn of history, and their influence could be felt by humanity.  So I was fine with the concept that Predators would seed our world with a colony of Aliens and then do a bug hunt as a rite of passage into adulthood.  It's too bad the execution of the concept was done so poorly.  Those are nit picks, I suppose, but taken as a whole with the other things I wasn't too happy with, the AvP movie wasn't quite as satisfying as I wanted it to be.  As it could have been.

There are so many stories that could be told in both franchises.  And you don't need Ripley or Dutch to tell them.  In the latter case, I felt that was proven anyway in Predator 2.  Danny Glover at first worried me.  But in the end, he did convince me that he was a bad ass.  I was convinced that he could win.   

Personally, I'd love to see a Predator western.  Or see a group of colonists fight off an Alien infestation.  So many stories, so little time.

Last edited by sMart (2007-02-21 09:47:31)

sMart. You're quite right. Destroying the whole planet would be stupid if they wanted resources or colonize it later. I'm not sure what technology they had but anything would better than simple bullets. Maybe an anti-matter cannon? smile

Yep goon is right, Alien 5 was going to happen, I think it was going to go something like Ripley and another crew go back to the alien's home planet to take them out for good, But it turns out that Weaver backed out saying she is too old or some shit, So as of right now i don't think we will be seeing Alien 5 anytime soon. Truth is AVP is about the only thing these outerworld monsters have got going for them & if AVP2 is no better then the first one they could both fade away for a long time, Unless Fox slaps us with some of that starght to DVD shit.

And chances are Norrock..in a few years I bet they will.  Though I think they have enough respect for the franchise not to do that or at least give it a big enough budget and a competent director to make it at least decent.

I think an "Alien 5" would be exceptable.  That is, if Ridley Scott was to direct and Sigourney Weaver was to return and play Ripley.

If they were gonna do a Ripley...Ridley Scott to direct and James Cameron to write plus Weaver to star....be an aweseom trio.

But, if they make a good enough storyline and movie...it might surivive without Ripley and stand on its own merit.

Kruz wrote:

Sounds a little like the U. S. invading foreign homelands just for kicks and giggles?
Why on earth would "we" want to invade their homeland? What right do we have? Unless of course they attacked us first. Then we could send in ALL American Troops and hopefully they will be annihilated by the Aliens and free up the earth of them.

War is not good folks!

Actually, I wrote that in purpose. I was trying to make that angle, the fact that in the future we'll just invade other planets for fun or resources (perhaps oil?). But the truth is we'll probably kill each other before we have the technology to invade another planet.

Have a social commentary in an Alien movie?  Would be interesting.

But, it would make sense to hit the Alien homeworld.  They don't care about anything, you can't reason with them.  Wipe them off the face of the universe.

Who knows if you can reason with them? Maybe we can but we just don't know how. I say we capture some of them and study them to make them our slaves or something. Heh.

It would be a mix between Fido and Alien, how cool would it be to have an alien bring you a glass of water? wink