Federico Fellini's La Strada
Thursday, May 21, 7pm
The Plaza Theatre, 1133 Kensington Road NW
$12 General Admission, $10 Members/Student/Seniors
35mm/ 108 minutes/ 1954/ Italian with English subtitles

Newly restored 35mm print!

"A modern picaresque parable . . . full of truth and poetry"
- The New York Times

The Calgary Cinematheque is pleased to present a new print of Federico Fellini's classic La Strada. Winner of over fifty prizes, including the first Oscar given for Best Foreign Language Film, La Strada established Fellini's international reputation. This1954 tale of the waif Gelsomina (Giulietta Masina), sold by her mother to the travelling strong man Zampano (Anthony Quinn), is one of the undisputed classics of post-war Italian cinema and, indeed, of world cinema. In a celebrated performance that is often compared to Chaplin, Giuietta Masina plays the child-like assistant and traveling companion of the brutish Zampano, who travels from town to town with his pitiful chain-breaking act. In spite of her harsh treatment at the hands of Zampano, Gelsomina gradually embraces this life of performance, and with the help of another performer, the high-wire acrobat called The Fool (Richard Basehart), she comes to understand her purpose in the universe. Alternately funny, disturbing, and heart-breaking, La Strada is a moving combination of Italian neo-realism and fairy-tale romanticism, with a haunting score by the acclaimed film composer Nino Rota.

"For all its sentimentality, this overshadows virtually everything Fellini has made since LA DOLCE VITA"
- Geoff Andrew
http://www.calgarycinema.org/images/posters/lastrada1.jpg
http://www.calgarycinema.org/images/posters/lastrada4.jpg

Re: Federico Fellini's La Strada @ The Plaza May 21

This Thursday!!!

great film.
I actually saw La dolce vita on the big screen, very cool
king size Anita Ekberg good LOL

Fellini's Weekend is a personal favorite

deadhorse13 wrote:

great film.
I actually saw La dolce vita on the big screen, very cool
king size Anita Ekberg good LOL

Fellini's Weekend is a personal favorite

I saw "La Dolce Vita" in the theatres too. It was amazing!!! "8½" is a personal favorite of mine. I'm kind of excited for the remake with Daniel Day Lewis coming in December (Def. wont be as good but very curious to see if they can prove me wrong big_smile ).

I don't know "Weekend". I'll have to check it out. Surprizing I havent seen it. Who's in it??

I fucked up, Godard did Weekend LOL
I still had Anita on the brain

back to Fellini (and his women) - Claudia Cardinale in 81/2, hubba hubba lol

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2009-05-19 21:42:18)

deadhorse13 wrote:

I fucked up, Godard did Weekend LOL
I still had Anita on the brain

back to Fellini (and his women) - Claudia Cardinale in 81/2, hubba hubba lol

Ah  Week End!!! That is one of Godard's best political films. I would say out of the late 60's Godard films Week End would be top 3 for me (The top 2 being Far From Vietnam and Masculine-Feminine).

...and yes Claudia was very sexy in 8½