Re: Which french flick is better?

High Tension and The Orphanage and pans labrynth, also My Life as a Dog is a good one evben though its not horror

Martyrs. smile

And although it's more ghost story than blood, guts etc I think The Devil's Backbone deserves a mention as does Kronos. Both beautiful conceptions in true filmmaking, they took my breath away. big_smile

Last edited by BlackTequilaKiss (2010-01-15 20:12:25)

Martyrs followed by Haute Tension.

High Tension is one disturbing and savage horror flick and a bit of a head tripper on the first watch.I thoroughly enjoyed this shock gem.

I'll go with that.

Love all of these movies, anyone seen Malefique? another goodie!! Yay for french horror!

^^ Nope.  Guess I'll have to look it up.  Sigh, do you have any idea how long my Netflix queue is because of HM?

^^haha, well you don't HAVE to watch everything we suggest!

Yes, I do.  Otherwise my position as the Oracle will be challenged. smile

I agree with Martyrs  is the best horror film I've seen in awhile.:D

I bought Martyrs 6 months ago and have yet to watch it. I don't know why. But

1. Frontière(s)
2. Haute-Tension
3. Mutants
4. à l'intérieur
5. Sheitan
6. Ils
7. Calvaire (Belgium but hey that's close enough)

I have yet to see Irréversible and Martyrs.

BlackTequilaKiss wrote:

Martyrs. smile

And although it's more ghost story than blood, guts etc I think The Devil's Backbone deserves a mention as does Kronos. Both beautiful conceptions in true filmmaking, they took my breath away. big_smile

But those are spanish movies, not french.

Not to be a pain in the ass, but one of Your's was made in Belgium. neutral

Atleast they're both pretty good though big_smile

Eyes Without a Face is a brilliant movie smile.

Last edited by CrucialTurnip (2010-03-22 09:46:18)

azathoth wrote:

Yes, I do.  Otherwise my position as the Oracle will be challenged. smile

Pah, you're no Oracle... not even with a lower case 'o'.

Caché  was also an enjoyable movie with suprises that weren't expected big_smile smile

CrucialTurnip wrote:

Not to be a pain in the ass, but one of Your's was made in Belgium. neutral

Atleast they're both pretty good though big_smile

Eyes Without a Face is a brilliant movie smile.

I know, that's why I put Belgium next to it. But since Belgium is right next to France and speak the same language, I figured it was close enough.

Now spanish don't speak french. smile

High Tension!! cool

they are all top notch - i want more brutal violence and gore
MORE!

The ones where they DON"t surrender.

lil' Monsters wrote:

a) Was she asleep when the headless head scene happened, a dream?
b) Can some one with split personality disorder believe they’re driving two vehicle at once?
c) If I’m cool with Fight club, that spells the ending out for you. Should I really have a hard time with a movie that makes me think?
2. Inside: Has such a great set up and it keeps you guessing for a good amount of time. Lots of craziness.
3. Martyrs: Was great from at the first but lost steam coming on to the end, and I’m still wondering what she said at the end.

a) Could've been.  It's not clear what she suffers from -- seems to be a combination of multiple personality disorder and schizophrenia (which is NOT "split" personality or MPS, as most think). 

MPS is having more than one active identity; usually when one is in "in charge," the others lie dormant or have very little active participation.

Schizophrenia is the inability to discern between what is real and what is imagined. 

So it's possible she suffers from both, which suggests it was her "passive" identity witnessing the imagined act of the "active" identity dropping the woman's head out the window.

b) Sure.  Notice above, when explaining MPS, I said "usually" one is active while the others are dormant.  But there have been people afflicted with this mental illness within whom more than one identity is active, and there's a struggle between the two to achieve superiority.  So it's feasible to say her "normal" persona attempting to rescue her friend from her murderous persona is symbolic of one identity fighting to take over.

c) Nope.  Personally, the more a movie makes me think, the better.  Except for Martyrs, which only made me think how much it didn't make any sense.  As for Fight Club, I love that movie even if, like Martyrs, it had some logic problems.  But I forgive that flick for them, because it didn't pretend to be anything more than it was -- a violent, pop-culture bashing middle finger to the Man.

I would be remiss if i didn't point out that Mutants is one of the best horror movies I have seen in years and you guessed it, it came outta France! If you haven't seen this epic zombie flic, do yourself a favor!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEw_qaFCk94[/youtube]

Last edited by thefinalsolution (2010-06-01 17:45:56)

The ones where the girls actually shave.  Remember 'Scary Movie'?  Yeah, they were/are like that.

I recommend La Classe De Neige (Class Trip) it's gory, psychological, disturbing and atmospheric.

Has anyone seen Le Locataire?

azatoth : AAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW those are cute guinea pigs.

high tension but over here its called switchblade romance

Sheitan was a perfect movie for Vincent Cassel to chew up the screen and chillingly display how convincing he is as a psycho.A bit disturbing of a movie.