Topic: La Notte Del Dannati (Night of the Damned) 1970

I have two versions of this weird witch movie directed by Filippo Ratti. This is an excellent gothic style film about resurrected witches and ancient curses. It is hard to find and in fact onlt recently has a widescreen uncut version appeared. The japanese cut Which I have. big_smile The only drawback is that it is in Italian with no subtit;es. Fortunately I have what was considered to be the longest cut until now, also. It has most of the sex and nudity cut but has been fan subbed in english! It still has a bit of the naughty stuff and is an excellent looking print. From the italian Shehane vhs master. Anyway the movie involves a detective who has been contacted by an old eccentric frien who says he is dying and needs help. Our intrepid detective takes his young wife to visit the ancient castle where his friend lives with his mysterious wife and a weird Doctor. Indeed his friend is dying from what he says is a generational family curse. The detectives wife begins having deja vu and nightmares about a witchburning at the castle they are visiting...
I watched the english cut first and enjoyed the rare, supernatural delight which the movie provides. It was obvious though when cuts were made in scenes which were naughty. I then watched the uncut version. In italian but easy to follow the second time through. And surprise! Ecen though the long sex scenes were intact I actually found they detracted from the movie and made it a lesser film. I guess having films uncut can be a mixed bag. Especially horror films of that period which were often shot in different versions depending on which market it was for. I have heard there is a french cut that is lost for now that has some sex cut but not as much as the italian. That would be ideal for the film, I think. A little nude shot here and there to make a scene more stark is good and some brief humpage too, but to stop for four long sex scenes that are just short of xxx and actually get boring...not as good.  I would recommend this film in any cut to horror lovers of the great european films of the 70's and 80's.