Topic: Tarantino's INGLORIOUS BASTERDS getting brutal reviews.

Further evidence of his decline. Reviewers at Cannes, which has been in love with Tarantino in previous years are giving universally brutal reviews to the film. Brad Pitt is being hit hard on his performance. That doesn't surprise me at all, when he is bad he is really bad, like in his terrible showing in the Coens'  Burn After Reading. Even the score is getting reviewed badly. IFC also said the film was terrible and 'tedious' .They just picked up The Antichrist for release over here after it recieved pretty bad reviews also, although not universal by any means. One thing singled out also, is the tedious 'conversation scenes' like the ones that were so good in Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown, and not so good in Deathproof. Here, they apparently suck.

Re: Tarantino's INGLORIOUS BASTERDS getting brutal reviews.

So I take it you are taking sides with the stuck up critics at Cannes? Inglourious Basterds is basically a remake of a grindhouse flick.. So this is kind of another entry into that same kind of cannon of filmmaking as Grindhouse. Personally I can't wait to check it out myself..

They loved 'Grindhouse' at Cannes remember, it was the box-office that tanked it. You can't have it both ways. Otherwise you'd have to say they were wrong about 'Grindhouse'. And they weren't, imo. I also don't think they are 'snooty' they are the best of the industry and yes, they do expect a certain quality from entrants.

Not sure what you mean Goon by saying Inglourious Basterds is a remake of a grindhouse flick. It either is or it isn't. If it is than what flick? Thats the same as saying Deathroof is a remake of a grindhouse flick but it isn't a remake... Grindhouse is just a term and I know you know that smile

Seeing the trailer in theaters was brutal. Lots of comments from the Terminator crowd that it looked awful. Personally I think Tarantino sucks and Brad Pitt looks bad in the trailer with a terrible accent. So I'm taking a big ol pass on this when it finally hits.

And Cannes is usually very good to Quentin so I am a little taken back to hear it was getting panned there

Oh and DTS this is a loose remake of the 1978 Italian  grindhouse film The Inglorius Bastards

Ok right on jmh, I didn't realise that. I have never seen it.

I saw over at Twitchfilm that they are reporting Universal is going to ask Tarantino to trim down the film after the negative crowd and critic reactions at Cannes. Definately sound as if he won't be anywhere close in the running for another Palm D'Or

It really sucks this movie is getting bad reviews and shit, but I still have high hopes for the movie, fuck what the reviewers say, this movie will still kick major ass even if it gets bad reviews. Others don't have to love a movie for you to. lol

This is simply not true. Your info is very incorect. The reviews have been quite positive they just say it needs to be trimmed down a littleand it's a little wordy. The film is going to get some more cuts and polished by the time it comes out. People need to stop saying shit is bad by 2 reviews. See the fucking movie or read everyfucking review there is to read but still see the fucking movie for yourself and stop judging QT's work before you see it.

Click your heels Robert...ther'es no place like home...

to be honest and i'll proberly get a lot of stick for it but i think tarantino is vastly over rated and it's just my opinon but i haven't felt any of his films particularly impressive. reservoir dogs and kill bill vol 1 are ok the rest average at best apart from death proof which is very poor.:|

I'm waiting to see a better trailer that actually shows some action before I make any judgements. From brad pitts speach, it sound like it's going to be a very brutal nazi slaughterfest, which I'm all for.

I don't see the point in arguing what other critics say about a film.  You'll never have a genuine opinion of it until you see it yourself.

That said, I am a Tarantino fan, but even I can admit his last few films have been far from stellar.  But like other influential directors such as, say, Stuart Gordon, George Romero, Jackie Chan or John Carpenter (just some for instances) even their misses tend to be more interesting than most of the other stuff out there.

robertthunder wrote:

they just say it's a little wordy.

A Tarantino movie wordy? yikes I am shocked at any such accusation! roll Thats like calling the sky blue or the grass green. It's just common knowledge

Brad Pitt
BRAD Pitt says he was drunk when he agreed to star in his new movie. The star, whose movie Inglourious Basterds debuted at the Cannes Film Festival Wednesday night, accepted the part after a raucous night out with director Quentin Tarantino.

He laughed: "We went out together... I got up the next morning and saw, like, five empty bottles on the floor and some sort of smoking device on the floor. Then, somehow, six weeks later I was doing the film." - BANG Showbiz / AP

they call those things crack pipes brad

Last edited by ZOMBlE (2009-05-24 21:16:48)

Googopqp wrote:

It really sucks this movie is getting bad reviews and shit, but I still have high hopes for the movie, fuck what the reviewers say, this movie will still kick major ass even if it gets bad reviews. Others don't have to love a movie for you to. lol

agreed, im still giving it chance, although i think its more of a movie id rent rather than see it in theatres.

I'm still gonna go see it in theaters. I don't give a flying funky monkey about what everyone is saying. I'm still gonna go see it in theaters.

ZOMBlE wrote:

they call those things crack pipes brad

Bong would be the correct answer.

Last edited by mdc666 (2009-05-26 13:24:03)

It's like taste in movies / music. What we like will not necessarily be to the taste of everyone. I have movies that would probably get butchered by others. I don't base my view on wherever I am seeing a movie just on a critic's reviews, Cannes, or whoever. They can be the most intellectually banded group ever it still cannot specify wherever the person likes it or not. THE only true way to know if a movie is good or not is to see it, which I will, I will judge on my own view. But I don't trust Cannes or likewise, I trust what my eyes can see.

On rottentomatoes.com the movie has a 57% rating.  Out of 14 reviews, thats only 6 bad reviews, so I would hardly call that "universally" bad reviews since  the majority are positive.  Plus this isn't even the final cut of the movie that is being reviewed.  I still can't wait to see the movie, I never gave two fucks what critics have to say anyways.

you are right BTK and MDC it's what you think personally after seeing a film. what do critics know? they are like sheep one does a review good or bad and the others follow along the path. many times i have seen a critically acclaimed film and thought what a load of crap and seen films that have been blasted by critics and i've thought that was pretty good.

WTF? The decline of Tarantino?  I'm new to the site obviously but come on now. The grindhouse pics were fun and I just can't see that as his decline as a director/writer. Evolution is a part of screenwriting/directing and most ppl don't touch where he's been already.

This is a very undeserving slam especially when you haven't seen his next film.

Last edited by amethystvenom (2009-08-01 22:48:26)

I've never liked any of Quentin Tarantino's films. Even his name being associated with a movie is pretty much the kiss of death for it as far as I'm concerned. Having said that, I'll probably still end up watching it one day (just as I have all the others) and end up hating his work even more.

roll Critics. lol

I loved the film. big_smile
Some of the dialog was boring and long in the middle part of the film. The big dialog scene in the beginning of the film I absolutely loved. I thought Inglorious Basterds was just great "movie" fun. It's like you knew you were in a theater when watching the film.

I loved it and don't see why it got all the criticism it got. smile